California to Denver, 2007

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

p&sr

OBS Chief
After the success of our 3-day trip to Seattle, my wife and I were ready for a 4-day trip, again scheduled for a long weekend. Friday through Monday in February of 2007. Three overnights, one each way on the train and one at a hotel in Denver.

The trip began with an early morning drive to Martinez. We could park the car in the Amtrak lot there for the duration of our trip with no charge. We caught an early Westbound train for Emeryville, enjoying breakfast on board (with views of Carquinez Straits, Mt. Diablo, and the San Francisco Bay). At Emeryville we had time to walk around the area and relax in the station, before boarding the California Zephyr for the beginning of its run. Riding from the start of the run is always more satisfying, and gives the best choice of seats (in Coach)... assuming you are near the head of the line, or can walk fast once people begin to head for the train.

Beautiful winter scenery crossing the Sierra Nevada and the Great Basin Desert. Next morning we crossed the Wasatch Range, then threaded our way through the series of dramatic Canyons along the Colorado River beginning with Ruby Canyon. Dinner on the train, and a reasonably on-time arrival into Denver.

We stayed at the Oxford Hotel, a comfortable and historic place just across the street from Union Station. Next morning we explored the near-by area on foot, including the light rail station and an attractive pedestrian bridge over the railroad tracks near the River. Great views of the Rockies!

The westbound Zephyr departed on-schedule. While climbing the Rockies to the Moffat Tunnel, we followed our progress on detailed maps (courtesy of AAA), and enjoyed great views of the open plains and of the deep Canyon above Boulder. At Fraser/Winter Park, there were plenty of skiers coming and going from the Train. We had lunch in the snack bar approaching Granby, and stayed in the lounge car most of that day while we followed the Colorado River for some 240 miles.

Around midnight we made our re-fueling stop at Salt Lake City, which offered the chance for a brisk stroll outside on newly-fallen snow.

Next morning we awoke in Central Nevada. In Reno we saw the new RailRoad Trench through downtown (which now prevents the train from blocking traffic on the main street while stopped at the station there). Since it was declared as a "smoking stop", we had time to scurry upstairs for a quick look at downtown Reno from the front doors of the station.

Again we had clear weather and great views crossing the Sierras, using our AAA maps to follow the route in detail. Somehow we became delayed in the mountains there, and they handed out free box-lunches to everybody to keep us happy. Evening arrival in Sacramento, then on to Martinez completing our Western Rail Adventure.

Be careful and check with Amtrak first before you leave. I am on the CZ westbound from Chi to Emeryville this Friday and I received a call from Amtrak several weeks ago stating that the train would be detoured through southern Wyoming, completely bypassing all of Colorado. At the time when I checked this out online, the press release stated that the detour was going to last all summer. While I would miss the spectacular scenery, there's nothing I could do about it, it's due to UP track maintenance so why not just enjoy Wyoming.

However I just found out today, when I called to make a minor change to my reservations, that the detour may not happen after all. Apparently they have set aside May 27th through May 29th and some time in June for the track work, and I guess Amtrak is just going to detour on those days.

It doesn't bother me one way or the other but if you are planning to get off anywhere in Colorado, you need to call Amtrak! These things are always subject to change at the last minute so if a detour would affect you, it would be best to call Amtrak before you leave to double check things.

Andrea

However I just found out today, when I called to make a minor change to my reservations, that the detour may not happen after all. Apparently they have set aside May 27th through May 29th and some time in June for the track work, and I guess Amtrak is just going to detour on those days.
Yes, this weekend Amtrak finally posted the notice about the Wyoming Detour for the California Zephyr.

As of this morning, the effective dates are said to be May 27 through May 29 and June 8 through June 15 (for the actual dates for travel between Denver and Salt Lake City).

Subject to change, of course!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back