Business Class?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Julie

We plan to take the EB from Seattle to Chicago in the spring. I have a couple of upgrade certificates, but don't know how to find out if the trains have Business Class or not. It sure would be great not to have to ride that far in Coach.

Julie said:
We plan to take the EB from Seattle to Chicago in the spring.  I have a couple of upgrade certificates, but don't know how to find out if the trains have Business Class or not.  It sure would be great not to have to ride that far in Coach.
The Empire Builder does not have Business Class: only Coach and Sleeper (First) Class. The upgrade certificates do not apply to bumping from Coach to a Sleeper.

Depending on the number travelling, a "Roomette" (aka Economy Bedroom) can be an economic upgrade from Coach. It is a very small room, but offers privacy, a flat bed, and all dining car meals are included. This far in advance you should be able to get the room from the cheapest fare bucket which would be $181 each way for a room that can hold two ($90.50 per person). The room charge is in addition to the Coach fare.

Julie said:
It sure would be great not to have to ride that far in Coach.
Do yourself a favor and at least book the sleeper accomodation. You have a certain amount of time which will be specified when you make the reservation. That way you lock the best rate you can at the time. Whether you use the certificates or not, you will thank yourself later knowing you have a bed to stretch out in providing you follow through with that accomodation purchase! I always go sleeper in my off time travels. That is just a personal preference, however, it sure makes a trip a bit easier especially when scheduling goes by the wayside. I would rather deal with the problems existing with a late train in sleeper than in coach anyday! At least this is the "Builder" we're talking about, and in the spring it should run pretty decent timewise as BNSF is usually good to Amtrak! OBS...

Back