Brightline Trains Florida discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brightline added a couple additional trains today.

SB Departures now on the half hour, with an additional 6 am and 7 am southbound trip.                                                                                                                             

NB Departures are now 40 minutes past the hour (I think it was 13 minutes past before), with an additional 5:10 pm northbound trip.                                             

Weekend schedules also added a 3rd trainset (possible now that the Polar Express is no longer running). This allows for some hourly service, mixed between mostly every other hour service. 

Still missing is the 12:30 pm SB trip (previously 1:00 pm) that turns to the 2:40 pm NB trip (previously 3:13 pm). I have seen Brightline trains deadhead to the yard around lunchtime, so I imagine there is an operational reason for this. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I poked at the schedules.  What you effectively have is the effective addition of two southbound peak-hour trains and the addition of one peak-hour northbound train (the latter accompanied by a "stretching" of the schedule slightly in the morning).  Also, the train between 2040 and 2310 moves around between 2140 and 2240 (likely depending on sports schedules).

The new schedule probably works a little bit better, with three trains for the "morning rush" south (0630, 0700, 0730) and three for the "evening rush" north (1640, 1710, 1740) which also seem to be timed a little bit better than the old timetable equivalents (0800 skewed just a little bit on the late side SB, getting into Miami after 0900, while 0600 was just a little bit too early; having only 1713 (now 1710) north at the peak (1613 being workable-but-a-hair-early and 1813 being rather on the late side)).

I'm taking this as a positive development even as it represents a break from a more-or-less pure "clock" model.  I'm glad that they were able to take steps to accommodate peak-hour demand (even if I think they'll ultimately need an extra set or two vs their plans to properly handle it in the long run).

Another quirk: One train in the morning "pulse" is showing with only three cars (two Smart, one Select) available, with the normal allowance for SmartPlus.  I cannot find any equivalent train later in the day, so I don't know if this is some sort of booking quirk or if they're holding one car for commuter passholders.

Edit: It looks like they're holding coach four on the 0700 SB and 1710 NB trains for these pax.  Coach four is "missing" from both trains and coaches 1-3 correspond to the "standard" coaches 1-3.

Can someone explain why they don't have train numbers? I mean I get that they only have three or four consists in use at a given time, and that there are currently only three stops, but it still gets confusing/tedious to have to figure out which train is which. For example, let's say I am taking the 12:00 from West Palm to Miami, and want to meet up with a friend who is boarding in Fort Lauderdale. To really make sure we're on the same train, I either have to pull up the Brightline schedule and see when my train departs Fort Lauderdale, or search for WPB-FLL in the booking engine, and from there determine what time my train departs FLL, and therefore which train my friend has to pick. I'll concede that that's not the end of the world, but it would just be much easier if each train was numbered.

Brightline does have train numbers (I once caught a glimpse of an internal timetable), but they are only used internally.  If I recall correctly, the numbers start at 201.

I can't blame them for not using numbers in public, at least while they're fiddling with the timetable. It would be very confusing for plenty of people if those numbers kept changing (like with the latest change...do they renumber half of the trains or have a few "screwball" trains with "wrong" numbers?).  I suspect that numbers may get used once they extend service to Orlando. 

Anderson- According to a post on FB, Brightline has a trainset with only 3 coaches instead of 4 due to an incident with an automobile. 
An automobile crashed into the side of a Brightline train in Boca Raton last week damaging one car, which is temporarily grounded as repairs are made, and that consist is running one car short. But the timetable was prepared before that happened. So I am not sure that the two are connected.

OTOH, Brightline reservation system is quite dynamic, and it will reflect the effect of using the shorter train in its rotation on seat availability accurately.

Anderson- According to a post on FB, Brightline has a trainset with only 3 coaches instead of 4 due to an incident with an automobile. 
That sort-of makes sense, but I'm still a little surprised that there's no other frequency using that set.  Mid-afternoon would be a good time to use it based on my data from September. 

The consist involved was Bright Blue. The car involved is Coach 4. In the reservation system it is showing up either as absent or sold out on all turns that uses this consist, until the car is repaired and restored to the consist. Damage to the underskirt and a truck.

The consist involved was Bright Blue. The car involved is Coach 4. In the reservation system it is showing up either as absent or sold out on all turns that uses this consist, until the car is repaired and restored to the consist. Damage to the underskirt and a truck.
Bright Blue, huh? That sort of hits close to home. :unsure:

Bright Blue, huh? That sort of hits close to home.
default_unsure.png
Indeed it does, doesn’t it? [emoji52]

An automobile crashed into the side of a Brightline train in Boca Raton last week damaging one car, which is temporarily grounded as repairs are made, and that consist is running one car short. But the timetable was prepared before that happened. So I am not sure that the two are connected.

OTOH, Brightline reservation system is quite dynamic, and it will reflect the effect of using the shorter train in its rotation on seat availability accurately.
You mean "Train cuts off car on road causing accident! Was conductor who was driving responsible for deliberate road rage? News at 11!"

I have a Brightline joyride set for this Sunday. Leave Miami 4P arrive WP 515P return  8P arrive 915P. Select $80, so they're not giving anything away any more.

I have a Brightline joyride set for this Sunday. Leave Miami 4P arrive WP 515P return  8P arrive 915P. Select $80, so they're not giving anything away any more.
We will miss you by one day - The Traveler, Mystic River Dragon and I, are doing Miami to WPB as part of the “Mini Gathering”. If interested PM me.

From Marriott Biscayne Bay Miami- 

Joyride today. Dinner at Ruth's Chris in WP, then back to here.

I was leaving tomorrow but with Chicago weather, United is waiving exchange fees so I'm going back Tuesday.

Aboard Brightline $? (410P MiA dp).

First, the Miami station is at 6th St and 1st Ave. The Mover station is Wilkie and not Govt Center. 

As one can see, Select passengers (whoops, Guests) are not bereft of Snacks and drink- especially the latter!!

The on-board service in Select is same as airline First.

20190127_160052.jpg

20190127_160100.jpg

20190127_160416.jpg

20190127_171126.jpg

From Brightline West Palm--

I have the Select lounge all to myself waiting for the 8P back to Miami. They even have Ferrari-Carrno Fume Blanc set out along with many a nibble.

No question whatever, they're trying.

On the strength of this exceptional service product. I hope they make it  but considering the costs they are addressing to "build it out",  I must continue my skepticism.

Aboard 8P SB train; on our way.

20190127_194440.jpg

Also, whoever those guys are that plan a joyride on Monday Jan 28, welcome to PM me tomorrow morning. I'll probably be asleep on the Therapedic mattress at Marriott, but I'll check PM as soon as I wake up so we can take it from there.

I had the chance to ride Select this past weekend, my first time in Select since they added the amenities. My experience was similar to Mr. Norman's, although the cold meats were not offered in the Select lounge. Maybe because I rode a midday train, as opposed to later in the day. There were a little over a dozen passengers in Select traveling from Miami to Fort Lauderdale, but after Fort Lauderdale all but myself and another passenger detrained while no one else boarded. I did try the "meat and cheese" box (pictured below). It was okay. I am not much of a cheese eater, but it was something to hold me over. I think they are available for purchase in Smart (a price is listed on the menu), but of course it is included with the Select ticket. 

Personally, since I really don't care much for alcohol I do not see much value in Select. The extra space was nice, but I'm not that anti-social.  :giggle:

IMG_7919.jpg

My experience was similar to Mr. Norman's, although the cold meats were not offered in the Select lounge. Maybe because I rode a midday train, as opposed to later in the day.
Seems pretty likely. When I rode Select on a 2:30 PM train from Miami to West Palm on 12/28, we didn't see anything like that. Still, since there was a huge basket of Salt and Vinegar chips, Luna Bars, soda, etc, and I don't eat meat, I wasn't exactly complaining...

cpotisch--

Sounds like our nice selection of stuff on the midday Select train we took on the TPS tour. We had champagne on the train, as well, and wonderful huge chocolate chip cookies. :)  

I agree with you about the livery. Although, to be fair, the Brightline first car of the train set does look like the giant eye of an insect, just like the Virgin one. However, the candy cane colors more than make up for that.

It is, in part, those colors that have attracted the general public to Brightline and made it seem so cozy and cheerful and fun. Richard Branson is a smart man, and I don't think he will mess with perfect marketing, but we shall see.

Richard Branson is a smart man, and I don't think he will mess with perfect marketing, but we shall see. 
I don't think Branson gets personally involved in the ins and outs of his businesses any more. He's delegated all of that to others, and has moved into more of a big ideas type of role.

Branson has only a consultant role anyway. He has very little in the way of a controlling role, and frankly Virgin Trains UK could learn a few things about quality service from Brightline, rather than the other way around. The major asset involved is the brand name.

As for the livery of trains, Patrick Goddard has publicly stated that Brightline will move away from individual color identity for train sets once they acquire more sets in preparation for extending service to Orlando. What color they will choose for the trains then is an open issue, but my suspicion is that they will probably not change the color on the power-heads much, and just go to some uniform color for the cars.

But of course time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back