AU Gathering Trip Report-Ohio-St Louis-Chicago-and back!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Railroad Bill

Buckeye Train Watcher
AU Supporting Member
[SIZE=14pt]2013 Amtrak Unlimited Gathering Trip[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]St Louis-Chicago October 17-21, 2013[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt] After several alternative plans to attend the AU Gathering in Chicago were scratched due to Lincoln Service bustitution issues due to High Speed Rail track work, we set off in the mini-van for St Louis on Thursday morning around 8am. Said goodbye to our cat, who is now getting used to our renewed Amtrak riding this fall.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Traffic was normal as we arrived in Columbus just after rush hour and missed several bad accidents that had occurred earlier in the morning. Ran into some hard rain on the Ohio-Indiana border but luckily most of it subsided by the time we reached Indianapolis. After a long trek across the corn fields of Indiana and Illinois, we arrived at our destination in Fairview Hts., IL at 3:30pm CDT. (It was nice to pick up that extra hour)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Our stay was at a very nice Comfort Suites near many restaurants, shops, and convenient to I-64. After an enjoyable dinner with my wife’s cousin, we scouted out the Swansea Metrolink station where I purchased two tickets that would be used for my trips into and out of St Louis Gateway Station. $2.25 is a deal for this ride. Then spent the evening visiting with cousin and husband in their home before retiring back to our hotel for an early start on Friday morning. My wife would be spending three days with her cousin in Swansea, hitting the art galleries, antique shops and flea markets, while I would be attending the Amtrak Unlimited Gathering via the Texas Eagle from St Louis to Chicago. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Friday October 18[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] In order to arrive at the St Louis Amtrak station in time for a 7:00am departure of the northbound Texas Eagle #22, I would need to leave Swansea on the Metrolink by 5:40am. Hoping that #22 would be on time, but aware that there have been many delays on this route, I called Julie to confirm an arrival time. As of 3am, the TE was only 15 minutes late and was expected to be on-time into STL. So after a brief stop at a 24 hour McDonalds for an Egg McMuffin, we headed to the station. The Metrolink is a very nice ride of about 30 minutes into St Louis. Not many riders at this time of day. The ride across the Eades Bridge and the early morning view of the ARCH is spectacular. Arrived into Gateway at about 6:15am and walked up the long ramp into the combined Greyhound and Amtrak station. Lots of people sitting in the waiting room that serves both transportation venues. Decided to check with the Amtrak agents to verify arrival of the Texas Eagle.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Much to my dismay, she said the train had lost time overnight and was now expected into STL at 8:55am, nearly two hours late. No explanation as to why. Now I had a long wait in the station and was getting hungry since I had planned to have breakfast on the train soon after 7.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]A long line soon developed at the Greyhound ticket window. (an interesting study in humanity as I observed the many different types of people riding the bus—ladies with crying babies, students with their headphones turned up, a few guys who looked like they were on their last leg, and lots of people who do not fit any description **smile**).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] I struck up a conversation with my seat neighbor who was a professor in the theology department at a seminary in Wisconsin. He was finishing his PHD with some research at a seminary near St Louis and was heading home for the weekend. His interest in trains, genealogy and history in general made for an enjoyable experience in the midst of our long wait. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Since the bus was taking people from STL to Bloomington/Normal due to the track work, it also had to wait for the TE 22 before it could leave. That had those people very upset as well. Finally around 8:45 the agent announced the arrival of Train 22 and the line began to form near the gate. There was no early boarding of sleeper passengers so my new friend and I moved into the line. The conductor eventually came to the gate and began scanning E tickets and we quickly moved up the line. Unfortunately, the gentleman I was with had not converted his voucher to an official E ticket and was forced to go back to the ticket office to have one printed. I said goodbye as I kept moving toward my train. Up the escalator and then down the long stairs to the platform, where I was greeted by Susan, my SCA. She said she had not finished making up my room since someone has just departed from it in STL, but that I should drop my bags in Roomette #9 Car #2220 and run to the diner to catch breakfast, which was just finishing up. Our locomotive was P42 #148. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Being very hungry at this point, I ran to the room and next door to the diner. The dining car staff were sitting in two booths talking and probably were not too happy about my late arrival. But my server warmed up when he saw my hat with the Texas Eagle pins and we struck up a conversation on collecting Amtrak memorabilia. There was only one other couple eating from the STL arrivals so we sat together and had an enjoyable conversation. He was also a professor of business administration at St Louis University and she was a former teacher and curriculum supervisor at a local school district. They were taking a weekend in Chicago for theatre and dining and we discussed education, Amtrak riding, etc. I had the cheese omelet, croissant and potatoes as did my companions. They had run out of bacon and I passed on the sausage. Everything was very good and we left anticipating our train ride through the Illinois countryside.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] The LSA noted that lunch would probably be served between 11 and 12 since they would need to complete serving in time for inventories to be completed before Chicago arrivals. Not sure if I would be hungry by then, but we shall see.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Talked to Susan about the late train and she noted that they were on time around the Texas detours, but sometime around 3am they got behind a slow freight and it was 35 mph the rest of the way. She did not mention, as I learned later from another passenger, that someone has been smoking pot in their room in the Transdorm and had been removed by police somewhere in Missouri. That was probably the real reason for the delays. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Susan mentioned that she was on the extra board and had worked for Amtrak for three years. She had recently been on the Lake Shore Ltd and had also been an SCA on the Empire Builder and Zephyr. She hoped she was close to moving up to a permanent position. She lived in the suburbs of Chicago and would have several days off before returning to work. I found upon my return to Room 9 that all the pillows had been changed and the room was in good shape for my journey. There was no one in Room 10, so I could move back and forth across the hall to observe scenery, take pictures, etc. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] After refueling and changing crews, our train had finally headed out of STL at about 9:15 and we passed over the bridge and through the railroad yards while I was eating breakfast. This detour route would utilize part of the old Chicago & Eastern Illinois route now controlled by the Union Pacific RR. We passed by Lenox Jct. in only a few minutes and would start heading in a northeasterly direction, bypassing most of the major cities of the regular TE and Lincoln Service routes via Hillsboro, Pana, Findley Jct, Sullivan, Tuscola and then stop in Villa Grove to change crews. The conductor estimated we should arrive in Chicago around 3:30 pm, which would still give me time to make it to the Amtrak Unlimited dinner in Glenview, IL. Unfortunately, I would miss the AU trip to Milwaukee on the Hiawatha, but anticipated an enjoyable evening of food and conversation at Grandpa’s B&G in Glenview later in the afternoon. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] It was a nice quiet ride through the countryside with most of the scenery involving corn and soybean fields, small towns with elevators brimming with agricultural products, junk yards and sidings into small plants. Our train was moving along at a steady speed and except for a couple of stops for freight train passing, we continued to make progress toward Chicago. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] I went to the diner at 11:20 expecting it to be full, but the crew had decided to delay lunch until 11:30 and so I was directed to come back in a few minutes. Decided to try again at about 11:45 and I was seated with Claudia, a lawyer from Dallas; Matthew, a biotech researcher from Houston; and another lady who chose to be silent through our lunch conversations. Claudia was going to Chicago to visit her son, while Matthew was taking his first train trip and visiting friends in the Windy City. We all had the Angus Burger and some cheesecake. There were only three choices given for lunch (Angus Burger, Veggie Burger and Hot Dogs). Burger lived up to its high expectations and cheesecake was also excellent as usual. We had a good discussion of numerous subjects and all were enthusiastic about riding the train. They did not know we were taking an alternative route to Chicago.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] We reached Villa Grove around 12:30 pm and had a new conductor who continued to insist we would make it to Chicago by 3:30pm. But alas, the information proved to be only a dream. We started catching more and more freight trains and sitting a few minutes at a time. And then we were only an hour from CUS when we sat for an hour waiting for freights, the southbound TE and who knows what else, near Dolton Jct. The new announcement provided disappointing news for me. The expected arrival time would now be after 5pm. I called Alan to let him know I would not make the dinner in Glenview and cancelled by Hiawatha tickets for the evening.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Lots of unhappy passengers as many had missed their western and eastern connections. One lady heading for Flint, MI was told she would be put on a Wolverine train at 6 pm and then bused from Battle Creek to Flint, a two hour bus ride, arriving in Flint at nearly 1am in the morning. As she slammed the door on the conductor, she noted she did not pay for a bus ride. The conductor suggested she talk to Customer Services in Chicago who might make other arrangements. It was a frustrating afternoon for our conductor who had to inform many people of alternative travel plans. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] We arrived in Chicago Union Station at about 5pm and I made my way on the platform past the fumes of several locos and into the halls of the depot. I was now planning to go to my hotel and have dinner somewhere and rest up from a long day. But it was Friday night and the entire station was full of commuters in a big hurry to get home. The mass of humanity came rushing down all the stairways and escalators and there was no room to make progress upstairs. I walked around the station twice hoping to find a path to the next floor without success. After 20 minutes I decided to make a run for a stairway and push my way upward. I made it to the food court mezzanine and then another run up the stairs to street level. Of course, the doorways were all being pushed inward from the stampede and another 10 minutes passed before I could get outside. The next obstacle was to somehow make it across the Adams St Bridge which also had hoards of people, all moving westbound across the bridge. I finally followed a brave man across the river and we pushed and shoved our way to Wacker Drive. To think this happens every weekday between 4 and 6 pm is astounding**smile***.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] I finally made it to my hotel, the Club Quarters, Chicago Loop between LaSalle St and Clark St on Adams. It’s a business hotel that serves a membership during the week and rents rooms on the weekend to non- members. A friendly reception from the desk staff and a quick check-in. Must use your room key to operate the elevators. I was on the fifth floor. Five elevators serve patrons. The rooms were situated in a quad type layout with two room doors together down a narrow hallway. Upon entering the room, there was a kitchen area, business table with multiple docking units, a nice bathroom/shower, full closet and a room with a queen size bed. A bit small and narrow layout, but once you become acquainted with it , the room is very nice and meets the needs of travelers. Each hallway has filtered water dispensers that provide free bottled water to patrons. After a few minutes to rest my tattered bones from the previous battle, I decided to walk across the street to the 7-11 and grab a sub sandwich, some fruit and yogurt and a quart of milk and bring it back to the room. St Louis and L.A. were playing baseball and it was relaxing just to watch some TV and prepare for tomorrow’s busy day of riding trains. Free WIFI provided some additional time on my Kindle before heading off to bed. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Saturday, October 19[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Up at 6am for shower and breakfast before walking up Adams St and across the bridge to the station. A brisk morning, but the boat tour guides were making their way to their stands to drum up business on this beautiful Saturday. Took some photos of the skyline. Always enjoy our trips to Chicago..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] I met the AU gang at Lounge G on the concourse level where we were advised to meet for our group boarding of Amtrak Lincoln Service train to Joliet. Lots of familiar faces as I made my way around for introductions. Several new additions to our AU membership and glad to see so many young faces to balance we old foggies ***smile**. After a brief wait, Alan, Anthony and other members informed us it was time to move to the boarding area. Our train was #303 leaving at 9:25. We would make a short points run to Joliet and then await our return train at 11:19am. Thanks to our powerful position in railroad circles (and Anthony’s, as well***smile), we were boarded separately and had our own car in which to travel. Thanks to Jim H’s superior delegating skills, I was carrying Amtrak memorabilia bags distributed to some members on Friday night and from which Alan wished to hand out to members such as myself who missed the events that day. We moved out of CUS on time and out along the route of Illinois Service via Summit, Il. The train moved swiftly over the improved tracks and we arrived in Joliet in less than an hour. The Joliet station is a fine structure built in 1912 in the Beaux Arts style and was renovated in the late 80s. It serves 2 Metra lines as well as Texas Eagle and Illinois Service trains. There is also extensive freight traffic via BNSF. Lots of history to this building with a waiting room that has been turned into a banquet facility, large murals on the lower floor and much of the original structure still intact. My Uncle Frank was born in Joliet and most likely went through this station as a Marine in World War 2, before he moved to Ohio. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Our group had a chance to observe both Metra and BNSF freights moving past the station and hitting the diamond hard as trains passed a nice tower across the tracks. Lots of photography including a group photo ensued before our northbound Amtrak train arrived shortly after 11am.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] I had a great conversation with Kirk (Kaybee) on the return trip. He also had been delayed from arriving in Chicago by a disrupted plane flight and had not had a chance to check in to his hotel. A nice trip back to CUS and then the group would have lunch and get ready for our afternoon Metra ride to Manhatten, IL. I chose to take my packet of Amtrak items back to my hotel, freshen up and then grab a bite of lunch before returning to the station. Only a 10 minute walk (when the crowds are gone**smile). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Returned to CUS around 1:00 pm and joined the group at the gate to board Metra #861 at 1:30. First time riding a Metra train and they are an impressive structure with two levels of seating involving two stairways to the upper deck. I chose to sit on the lower level with Jim Hudson and we had our always enjoyable discussions of trains, politics and general life issues as we headed out into the countryside of SW Chicago. This line has many new and renovated stations and as we progressed, many new housing subdivisions as well. Again we had our own car for the group ride and everyone seemed to be having a great time renewing friendships and talking Amtrak.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] When we arrived in Manhatten, the conductor instructed us to move to the rear car as a group for the return trip. Our train moved on down the line to wait for the change of crews. I decided to move to the upper deck for a new experience. I sat next to AmtrakBlue and along with Saxman, PennyK and her sister; Sarah and Ryan, we enjoyed a nice day on this commuter rail line. We arrived back into Chicago at 4:45pm and some of us moved to the Metro Lounge (Thanks to AlanB for use of his pass). Most of the group would be heading to dinner, watching football games or touring the Willis Tower at night.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] But some of us gung-ho railroad enthusiasts had not had enough train riding and chose to ride the Illinois Zephyr out to Mendota, IL and return via the Carl Sandburg. Although this route is used by the California Zephyr and SW Chief, most of us had not ridden the Amtrak commuter trains listed above and thus needed more points and more train names to add to our portfolio. **smile**. After a brief respite in the Metro Lounge, we went to the South Lounge to board Train #383. A long line developed for this train and when the call for families with children, elderly and those needing assistance to come forward for boarding, I decided I was elderly enough to qualify and went with the rest of our group ahead of the line. **smile**. We were given an early boarding opportunity and thanks again to Anthony, who reserved seats in the front of one of the coaches for our group of fifteen or so AU riders.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] By the time we moved out of Chicago proper, it was dusk and most of the ride was in the dark. But again, this ride was about Amtrak riding,.. scenery being only secondary to the enjoyment. Again, sat with Kaybee and we enjoyed further conversations. It is over 80 miles to Mendota from Chicago and we arrived on time at about 7:20pm. Next priority was finding some food. Six of us decided to make our way to the main street to look for a restaurant that could serve our needs QUICKLY@. We tested several establishments but all had decent patronage and probably could not service us in a timely manner. We eventually settled for a pizza parlor on the corner whose manager promised to have pizzas to us with 10-15 minutes. We took our places at the two tables and hoped for the best. The eastbound Carl Sandburg was due to arrive in Mendota at 8:14pm which only left us less than a half hour to eat and run back to the station. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] The Pizza Man came through with six pizzas and extras, bread & drinks in time for most of us to down the delicious pies before our departure. He did have some trouble figuring up the bills, so we threw lots of cash on the table and ran out the door. I do believe he received an adequate tip for his timely service and increased his revenue for the evening as well. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] The “Pizza Brigade” marched quickly up the street and to the station in time to make the approaching train. I was able to get some photos of the historical memorabilia in the station, which was a small museum with several types of rolling stock on the grounds. We met the remainder of our group on the platform and soon heard the horn of our Carl Sandburg coming around the curve. We boarded in one car but the train was pretty full and thus found seats where they were available. I sat with Shanghai (Dick) on the return trip and enjoyed his conversations with Jishnu about their flying experiences and life living in Europe and Asia. Their experiences have been so very different from mine and it is very interesting to hear of their adventures. Some of our members left the train at Naperville and La Grange as their hotels were on the west side of the city. The rest of us arrived in CUS at around 10pm. Charlie and I were both staying at the Club Quarters so we made our way out Adams St for a brisk walk in the night. A big affair was happening at the JW Marriott hotel; men dressed in black tie and women in their long gowns. Later learned it was a charity boxing match in the ballroom to raise money for a worthy cause. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Returned to the room after a long day of train riding. Watched some of the Boston-Detroit game, checked my emails and then headed off to bed. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Sunday October 20[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Up at 6am, breakfast and shower and check out downstairs. Had an interesting conversation with the desk agent who said he had lived in Chicago all his life but had never been to Union Station. Hard to believe. Walked up to CUS and checked into Metro Lounge around 7:30. No one there except two agents at the desk and a female agent watching the luggage room. I was the official first passenger of the day. Kind of weird having the lounge to myself. Took some photos, stored by bag and then headed over to the Metro ticket machine to get a new Ventra card. Costs $3.00 for the one way ticket, but the machines work pretty efficiently using a credit card, so more Amtrak points. **smile**[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Had to stop by the Great Hall for a quick photo shoot. While I was there an Amtrak police officer called me over and my first thought was “what the heck did I do?” But he was laughing and just wanted to let me know how important the stairway was in the filming of “The Untouchables” movie and where the Batman movie was filmed. Wheww! Thought I was going to be in the jailhouse **smile** [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Soon I was on my way back up Adams St to the EL at Quincy/Adams station where I climbed the stairs to catch an Orange Line train to Roosevelt. Not too many travelers at this early hour on the EL. A nice ride around the horn and arrived at Roosevelt station at 8:30. Waited on the platform and soon I was met by The Wolverine who had bused in from Michigan that morning for the tour. We were later joined by Davy Crockett, Ryan and a host of others. Moved downstairs to street level and the remainder of our gang were assembled and ready to walk to the Amtrak Shops across the Chicago River. As we worked our way there, a beautiful sunny day brought out the aura of the Chicago Skyline. The bridge had some interesting metal sculptures of dinosaurs, dolphins and other items placed on the pier supports. We arrived at the ramp to walk down to track level around 9:15am and we joined some of the others who had been transported to the shop area by auto.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Lots of private varnish to photograph as well as numerous locomotives, one of which #43 had obviously been involved in a skirmish based on the hole in its side and the crushed front end. We eventually met our tour guide who was in charge of Amtrak Safety and we made our way to the building where crews checked in, food service was headquartered and other offices were assigned. After a long wait to secure safety helmets and glasses, we made our way outside and over to the locomotive shop. The locomotive shop supervisor gave us a description of the work performed and we observed a couple of locos being serviced. Outside was one of the heritage engines celebrating 40 years of Amtrak service. #66 in Phase II paint was shining in the morning sun. Several switchers were sitting in the yard as well as some P-40 units of old. Lots of photo opportunities for the locomotive enthusiast. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] We then made our way to the car shops where we again were given information about the various activities that take place. It has begun to sprinkle some rain and the sky clouded over for a short time. We then began one of the highlights of the tour by climbing a long stairwell to the top of the Amtrak dispatching tower. Did not know we were going up there and everyone was thrilled by what we saw. The dispatcher showed us the apparatus behind his glass enclosed headquarters and then we were permitted to walk out on the catwalk to take photos. The sun was coming out again and WHAT A VIEW. The Chicago skyline and Amtrak yards made for an excellent morning of train watching. Could have stayed up there all day!!. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] But all good things must come to an end and I was needing to head back to CUS to catch my 1:00pm boarding of the Texas Eagle. Alan had arranged for several of us to get rides with members who had cars and thus, after some long goodbyes, I caught a ride with Steve and Roselyn up Canal Street to the station. Thanks to everyone who made this day a memory not long forgotten.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] I stopped by McDonalds in the food court for a sandwich before heading back to the Metro Lounge to get my bag and prepare for boarding. The conductor from TE 21 was already at the front desk and he scanned my ticket and said to meet by the back door around 1:15pm. As I was sitting waiting, Jim Hudson, Traveler, Bill Haithcoat and several other members of AU began filing in to catch the Empire Builder that would be leaving soon after my train.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] At 1:15 the call came to board and the “kindergarten walk” began to our train. There were many people lined up as this train had been sold out for several days. With the Lincoln Service trains being aborted in Bloomington and bustitutions taking place, many chose to ride coach to St Louis that day. I found my way to sleeper 2130, again right next to the diner, and to my Room #6. The SCA, who shall remain nameless, since she never introduced herself and never came to the car once during the entire trip, stood outside and then spent most of the time in her Room #1 reading a book. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] To add to the experience, there was a family of grandmas, four grandchildren 8-14, and mom and sister occupying four of the roomettes in my aisle. Kids were a bit squirrely at first. The kids were in Room 4&5 and I offered to change rooms with Mom who was in Room 8, if she desired. I suggested we should get an o.k. from the SCA before making such a move. Unfortunately, we could not find the SCA and thus I remained in my room, mostly with the door shut until they quieted down after supper. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Then an announcement was made that we would be delayed in our departure waiting for the Blue Water which was running late into Chicago and had several passengers who wanted to transfer to the Texas Eagle. So much for on time performance today. After a half hour wait we started southbound out of the tunnel. Passing the Amtrak yard today brought back great memories of our morning tour and lent new perspective on what was going on in the yards as regular trains pass by. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] We were moving along quite well and passed the Union Pacific yards and tower near Dolton Jct at around 3pm..over 1 hour and 15 down at this point. An announcement is made to make reservations for dinner with the LSA as he makes his way in the sleepers. I take a 5pm sitting and then head downstairs to check out the restrooms. The center RR has a water leak problem that has sprouted from the spigot. I try to find the SCA to let her know, but again, not sure where she is. I tried to use some paper towels to wipe up the water.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] The lounge car was full and loud so decided to stay in the room, play some games on the Kindle and watch the scenery. I am hoping to get to St Louis in a decent hour since I must take the Metrolink back to Swansea this evening to get my car and go to our hotel in Fairview Hts. Things are not looking too good as the conductor announces an expected arrival time of 8:45pm. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] At 5 pm I went down to the diner and was seated with Mark and Kathy from Memphis area and Linda from Michigan (one of the Blue Water later arrivals). We had a great conversation. Mark’s father was an Amtrak supervisor in WAS and NYP before retiring and he knew a lot about Amtrak, although he said they didn’t ride as much as they would like. They had four teenage children who kept them busy. Mark and I had the steak, baked potato and veggies, while Kathy and Linda chose the salmon. All were pleased with our meals and each topped off with some cheesecake for dessert. Starting to get dark and there was a long line waiting to eat so we said our goodbyes and headed back to our respective rooms. Linda was riding coach and envied our choice of roomette and bedroom, since she noted it was quite a zoo in her car. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Our train seemed to be moving along well and the conductor continued to commit to an 8:45 arrival into St Louis. Crews changed in Villa Grove and we then headed off into the mass of soybean and corn fields. We arrived in Sullivan around 6:40 and darkness now invaded the tracks. The kids went to bed around 8pm and things started to quiet down for the evening. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] But as we came closer to Lenox Jct., the train slowed, then stopped. We waited and waited, then moved a few hundred feet until two police cruisers arrived on the scene to take away a passenger. Not sure what the official violation was, but some people in our car said the conductor had mentioned there were smokers who violated the rules. An announcement of “police activity” was made and another in a long line of apologies for delays. Now it was nearly 9:30pm and we still had a half hour to get to St Louis. It has been a long day and now it will be longer.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] We finally crossed the bridge over the Mighty Mississippi and arrived in STL at around 10:00pm. I said adios to our SCA who was standing at the door (hopefully, not expecting a tip). As I walked across the bridge to the station I saw the 10:17 Metrolink leaving below. There was a very long line of unhappy campers waiting to board the TE 21 and thus, Amtrak again did not meet the expectations of its passengers, both coming and going. I ran down the ramp and to the platform where I quickly validated my ticket and waited for the Red Line train to Swansea. There was a security guard on the platform verifying that I had a ticket and reminding me to validate it. An interesting gentleman came over and offered to sell me some sandwiches he was carrying in his hands. I passed on that one. Another young man was returning home from a long weekend in Chicago and we chatted for a few minutes until the 10:37 train arrived. There were only about a dozen people on the train.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Our motorman was quite a hoot as he “sang” the station names as we proceeded eastbound into the night.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The trip to Swansea was about a half hour and thus it was after 11 before I reached my car. No one got off at Swansea, so it was a rather eerie feeling walking to the car. Made it o.k and drove about 15 minutes to our hotel where I was met by my wife, who had a great time visiting with her cousin and wanted to hear about my Amtrak adventures. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Monday October 21.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] We had a long 500 mile drive back home today, but the weather was great, traffic was not too bad and we made good time across the Illinois and Indiana countryside. Some nice rest areas on I-70, lunch at Wendys, supper at Taco Bell (yes, we are quite the connoisseurs of healthy eating**smile**) and we arrived home around 7pm in time to address play time with our loving cat. It has been a long weekend of activities, but each of us had a very enjoyable time with family and friends. And yes, it is now snowing outside my window, Winter is here!!!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Some comments on the trip.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I had a great time at the AU Gathering. It is always fun seeing members of our group again. Our mutual admiration of Amtrak riding and friendly conversation makes this one of the more interesting experiences of my life. Such a diverse group of people whose lives, experiences, challenges and memories make this a memorable event. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]My trips on the Texas Eagle detour were also full of challenges as the competition with freight traffic left Amtrak the loser in nearly every way. Those of us in AU find extra time on a train as an advantage, but to the majority of revenue passengers, it was a frustrating experience. I am sure Amtrak lost many future riders because of these delays and in the case of #21, poor service from the SCA. The food was excellent, the dining car staffs were fine, restrooms were generally clean, and despite the aging equipment, the riding experience was o.k. Wasting time kicking someone off the train for smoking a cigarette when they were so close to St Louis didn’t make much sense to most of us. (Perhaps the offender had become belligerent?) It seems that on time performance on many routes has become a serious problem that needs to be addressed. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Finally, I want to thank the AU committee for a well- organized event, full of new train riding experiences. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]And the shop tour was icing on the cake. Looking forward to our west coast meeting in 2014.[/SIZE] Some photos to follow.

101_9820.JPG

101_9819.JPG

101_9855.JPG

101_9860.JPG

101_9885.JPG

101_9886.JPG

101_9892.JPG

101_9897.JPG

101_9898.JPG

101_9903.JPG

101_9906.JPG

101_9913.JPG

101_9915.JPG

101_9917.JPG

101_9924.JPG

101_9930.JPG

101_9931.JPG

101_9933.JPG

101_9936.JPG

101_9937.JPG

101_9939.JPG

101_9941.JPG

101_9942.JPG

101_9943.JPG

101_9944.JPG

101_9960.JPG

101_9961.JPG

101_9962.JPG

101_9963.JPG

101_9965.JPG

101_9968.JPG

101_9969.JPG

102_0027.JPG

102_0032.JPG

102_0034.JPG

102_0039.JPG

102_0040.JPG

102_0041.JPG

102_0043.JPG

102_0044.JPG

102_0046.JPG

102_0048.JPG

102_0049.JPG

102_0050.JPG

102_0050.JPG

102_0051.JPG

102_0054.JPG

102_0063.JPG

102_0064.JPG

102_0071.JPG

102_0075.JPG

102_0076.JPG

102_0077.JPG

102_0079.JPG

102_0080.JPG

102_0086.JPG

102_0087.JPG

102_0088.JPG

102_0090.JPG

102_0091.JPG

102_0092.JPG

102_0101.JPG

102_0111.JPG

102_0114.JPG

102_0132.JPG

102_0137.JPG

102_0138.JPG

102_0140.JPG

102_0141.JPG

102_0146.JPG

102_0149.JPG

Those are great pictures!

Do you mind if I snatch a couple pictures of me for Facebook? I'll give you credit.

Edit: Grammar is hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back