Atlanta to New Orleans and back

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was our first time on Amtrak and I spent some time perusing the many posts here, before we left, to gather tips about traveling by train. Thanks to all for the great advice.

We left Monday morning (12/6) on the Crescent and came back yesterday. I've traveled to New Orleans many times over the years and this was by far, the best way to go! We haven't been there since 2003 and were pleasantly surprised by how little damage there remained. We talked with several people about the area since Katrina and found out most things are back to normal. Since we were last there, the RTA has extended the Canal Street streetcar line to the cemeteries and to City Park - that was a nice surprise. We rode the Canal Street line, the St. Charles Ave. line and the Riverfront line all for $5. The RTA one day pass was a bargain, IMHO.

So, our first expereince on Amtrak was a good one. The sleeping car attendants seemed nice but didn't do much for us as the trip from Atlanta to New Orleans is mostly during the day. I wasn't sure what to expect but both Carl (southbound) and David (northbound) were friendly and helpful when we asked questions. Both were based out of New Orleans. The dining car staff on the trip south was mediocre but the crew on the return trip, was outstanding. The food was good and the menu selections adequate. Breakfast and lunch were worth mentioning - both were very good. Dinner last night was average or below. My wife's food was barely warm and the crawfish etoufee was marginal. I didn't expect cordon bleu cooking but we appreciated the efforts of the staff and the diverse menu selections.

One thing of note, was that southbound, there were regular announcements about upcoming stops and when a stop was an extended one. There were no announcements from New Orleans yesterday. Is that normal? I kept up with where we were but I thought it interesting there were no general announcements. We were happy to have chosen a rommette for trip as we heard several folks griping, when we got to New Orleans, that the trip in coach was unpleasant. Another thing we enjoyed, was, after checking in with the agent yesterday morning, we were pointed to the Magnolia room. Good coffee and first-class treatment by the staff as we waited then were boarded first.

Last, hello to Bill Haithcoat from the AJC....(I work there still)..... ;-)

This was our first time on Amtrak and I spent some time perusing the many posts here, before we left, to gather tips about traveling by train. Thanks to all for the great advice.

We left Monday morning (12/6) on the Crescent and came back yesterday. I've traveled to New Orleans many times over the years and this was by far, the best way to go! We haven't been there since 2003 and were pleasantly surprised by how little damage there remained. We talked with several people about the area since Katrina and found out most things are back to normal. Since we were last there, the RTA has extended the Canal Street streetcar line to the cemeteries and to City Park - that was a nice surprise. We rode the Canal Street line, the St. Charles Ave. line and the Riverfront line all for $5. The RTA one day pass was a bargain, IMHO.

So, our first expereince on Amtrak was a good one. The sleeping car attendants seemed nice but didn't do much for us as the trip from Atlanta to New Orleans is mostly during the day. I wasn't sure what to expect but both Carl (southbound) and David (northbound) were friendly and helpful when we asked questions. Both were based out of New Orleans. The dining car staff on the trip south was mediocre but the crew on the return trip, was outstanding. The food was good and the menu selections adequate. Breakfast and lunch were worth mentioning - both were very good. Dinner last night was average or below. My wife's food was barely warm and the crawfish etoufee was marginal. I didn't expect cordon bleu cooking but we appreciated the efforts of the staff and the diverse menu selections.

One thing of note, was that southbound, there were regular announcements about upcoming stops and when a stop was an extended one. There were no announcements from New Orleans yesterday. Is that normal? I kept up with where we were but I thought it interesting there were no general announcements. We were happy to have chosen a rommette for trip as we heard several folks griping, when we got to New Orleans, that the trip in coach was unpleasant. Another thing we enjoyed, was, after checking in with the agent yesterday morning, we were pointed to the Magnolia room. Good coffee and first-class treatment by the staff as we waited then were boarded first.

Last, hello to Bill Haithcoat from the AJC....(I work there still)..... ;-)

Thanks, PM me if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back