Arriving into Vancouver: How is train 1 on average?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are considering a sameday connection......DON’T DO IT!.......the anxiety of possibly missing your connection will ruin your trip.

I was on the w/b Canadian last December. We were 3 hours late leaving Jasper. Nearly ontime by Kamloops.....then a half-hour early into Vancouver the next morning.

A train could have a good on-time record but the day you ride.....anything can happen!

AFAIK, it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Sure, a few hours late here and there, maybe more in the winter, but not heavily late every day. Don't do tight connections of course, but if you make it to Vancouver you might as well stick around and tour the city and its surrounding areas. Maybe ride a ferry somewhere.

As I said on the other thread, if the #1 is late that just means you get to see Fraser Canyon a bit. I don't know the actual averages but it's a win-win either way so I wouldn't worry about it.

You could also try my Canada plan, with the Skeena. I'm only planning to do it from Jasper-Prince George. That train is in daylight and if you/re a bit late it wouldn't really hurt. My plan is to sleep a night in Prince George and catch the daytime bus to Vancouver, which also guarentees Fraser Canyon in daylight. Just saying.

Arrived Vancouver only 30 minutes late last week. We would have been over an hour early but a freight broke down in the yard in front of us

Last winter eastbound we left Vancouver on time and arrived Toronto 4 days later 8 hours late.

Since this topic was started in March, chances are the info provided today is a bit late.
Yes…..but relevant information to anyone browsing the topic today.
That goes without saying, IMHO.

I've observed that etiquette here at AU is to let users know when posters are replying to an old thread and do not realize it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back