Are New Jersey Transit Trains Unreserved?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DivMiler

Lead Service Attendant
I will be traveling sometime from New York Pennsylvania Station to Madison, NJ roundtrip.

I saw the nice video they show of how to buy a ticket at a kiosk at the station, but it does not answer this question: are the tickets unreserved? If I purchase a ticket from NYP to Madison (or vice versa) do I have to state on which train I want to use it?

I saw the nice video they show of how to buy a ticket at a kiosk at the station, but it does not answer this question: are the tickets unreserved?
All NJT trains are unreserved. If you bought a "round trip excursion" ticket (IIRC, it has "ORT" printed on it), it is only good for off-peak travel, and you have to use it in the direction indicated on the ticket. One way tickets can be used any time in either direction.

Rode NJT three times in June with one way tickets and they were only collected once. I suppose I could have used the same tickets again, but my integrity got the best of me. :)

Rode NJT three times in June with one way tickets and they were only collected once. I suppose I could have used the same tickets again, but my integrity got the best of me. :)
Were you riding Newark to New York I know at that point they seem to just give up on ticket checks even on slow weekend trains. Morning rush hour I understand.

Were you riding Newark to New York I know at that point they seem to just give up on ticket checks even on slow weekend trains. Morning rush hour I understand.
The two times they did not pull it, it was NYP to Newark Penn.

I don't get why anyone would ever ride NJ Transit NWK-NYP. There are so many cheaper ways.
Two of my three trips I used NJT because I had a bunch of luggage. I did not want to change trains on PATH, not to mention they are a lot more crowded (at least when I used them) and a lot less convenient when arriving/departing on Amtrak..

The third trip was because of a ticketing limitation. I used my credit cards for the max number of times on the kiosk.

It's not your fault that the tickets weren't collected. I wouldn't have a problem with using the ticket until some NJ Transit employee actually collected it.

Back