Amtrak's Home Page Derailed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
Consistantly for about the last half hour, all attempts to reach Amtrak's home page lead me to an Amtrak page telling me that I've requested a page that does not exist.

Anyone else having the same problem? :unsure:

There is also a brief instant where it seems that I'm being directed to a site called "Fatwire", before it comes back to the Amtrak error page.

Alan I think you're right -- If you Google "Amtrak", look for the Amtrak.com website, but select "CACHED" instead of the direct link, it will present you with a cached copy of the Amtrak home page. All the links from there seem to work, it's apparently just that home page that is broke on the Amtrak server. This (using the Google cached page for the Amtrak home page) gives you a fully functioning site, just using an Amtrak home page that is at Google instead of at Amtrak - all the links go to the Amtrak site and do seem to work, including, for example, train status. This is a good trick to try, by the way, if somebody's home page disappears.

The home page is working okay for me. I went to it and even refreshed the browser to make sure it was current and it's working okay. Maybe it was some kind of temporary system glitch.

AmtrakWPK said:
still broke for me - I got a 404 Page Not Found error quote:

Problem with Page Requested

The page you requested does not exist or has been moved.
Maybe the Amtrak website operates on a different server for the west coast and it's one of those east vs. west coast issues. I am on the west coast (Nevada) but I think everyone else who has reported this problem is from the east coast. I guess we'll see if anyone else from the west coast posts.

Wierd. I'm in the Orlando area, and it's broke down here. And while I wondered about the idea of different sites depending on where you access from, I dunno whether it's easy to setup the world-wide DNS lookup system to do that. Seems like that would be something of a nightmare, since you'd have to have a different IP for each separate "home page" server.

It's 1:20 AM here in Ohio and the home page is not showing. There is a "no longer exists or has been moved message" within an Amtrak website page. All the tabs at the top do connect to the proper areas of the website though.

As someone said, maybe Bombardier developed the site.......or Mr. Mineta is working on it.

Back