Amtrak trip 11/11 and employee reaction

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Amtrak_flyer

I did my every 6 week trip on the Coast Starlight yesterday from San Jose to LAX to San diego. What really surprised me was the employees dont have a clue how grave the situation is. The lady at the ticket counters response was "we've been expecting Gunn to get fired for months".

The parlor car attendents reponse was "they've been talking about shutting down Amtrak for 17 years"

Sleeper attendent, dining car employee's ditto ditto. I understand the saying "out of sight, out of mind" but this is a serious situation.

I told them about Congress finally last week showed they we're serious about long term funding and how Gunn's firing was a direct response to that, and Bush is going for the jugular. I told them to call, email senators etc. Just because you you work there you still pay taxes and have a right as a citizen to express your views to elected officials. Gave them the narp site, this site. Just amazed this was new info to almost everyone.

As far as trip went. Packed train, all the sleepers looked as good as Ive seen them, clean, all had the new dark blue cloth. The commisary truck didnt show up in Oakland that morning so for both lunch and dinner half the menu they didnt have, that irritated almost everyone. Two hours late into LA due to UP, had to due the bus to San Diego due to lateness, chartered bus for only 11 people another bus took people to other cities besides SAN.

Ah, now I see why we did not have lunch after Oakland, was hoping to get quickly the turkey pizza before de-training in San Jose... I was on the same train in the firstmost sleeper (a refurbed Superliner-I) from PDX to SJC. Maybe my accent or whatever but I felt the guy in Parlor was somewhat upset. He was who told me the news. On the other hand maybe you are right - he wasn't sure what was the name of the fired person, I did ask him, "is it D. Gunn?", the answer was "yeah, yeah, him, look there is the newspaper". The newspaper wasn't there, I had to "fish" in the trashcan.

Back