Amtrak Sleeper vs Via Rails Sleeper Is The Big Price Difference Worth

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I was calling the Club Car.
attachicon.gif
img__695.jpg
Which is better known as the Park Car, since all are named after Canadian national parks.

All of you folks that have done winter trips - are the short days a real impediment to seeing the sights, or was it OK? I guess it would be really nice if you could time the trip to a full moon...
Even if there is no moon, the lights are turned down (or off completely?) in the dome at night, so with the expected snow on the ground, you will get a good view. I think the bigger problem with winter travel was when the snow was fresh -- a fast moving Canadian would kick up so much snow that views even from the dome were impaired.

..........I don't believe VIA Rail has something called a "club car".
VIA does have a car I would consider a Club Car, it's the 'Glenfraser' and it was recently used a couple of weeks ago on the Ocean's 110th Anniversary. Here it is (along with some interior shots) departing Halifax on July 4.

I guess it's all in your personal interpretation of 'Club Car'. For a number of years, CN called their first-class day time cars 'Clubs' as did early VIA. Then they became 'VIA-1' and now 'Business Class' cars. VIA is restoring the 2+1 seating arrangement found in the original Clubs to the rebuilt LRC cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from a circle trip from Minnesota to the west coast, across Canada, then back from Montreal on the U.S. side. Our night on the Lake Shore Limited coming home was punctuated with comments like, "I miss the thick mattress, and the plush bedding, and the chocolate with turn down service, and the Park car." The cost is higher, yes, but you get what you pay for.

Back