Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Train 7 was about 40 minutes late leaving Chicago today with P42 #84 in the lead, followed by two ALC42s and another P42. The original lead locomotive, #301, suffered a PTC failure on departure and so 84 had to be tacked onto the front.

seems about right for the railroad…

In a event at Chicago Union Station, Amtrak Vice President and Chief Mechanical Officer George Hull used the operating debut of the two long-distance Charger diesels to announce the company’s board of directors has authorized exercising the option to add 50 more to the 2018 production order of 75 now rolling out of Siemens Sacramento, Calif., production facility.
Was this before or after the PTC failed? 🙃

Was this before or after the PTC failed? 🙃
😅 I'm not sure, probably before.

Amtrak has posted a new article on the Media site about the order. Nothing new there aside from some nice pictures, but I thought this excerpt about funding was interesting
Amtrak is paying for the new locomotives and supplemental multiyear maintenance support with about $850 million in funding set aside when the order was placed in 2019. The new locomotives will primarily replace the Amtrak P40 and P42 locomotives, some of which have been in service for more than 25 years on some state-sponsored routes but primarily on the Long Distance portion of the Amtrak National Network.

I don't know the Siemens Charger and I don't no what failed with "PTC".
But I do know the "Siemens reset":
Turn it off an on again.
The Siemens locomotives I know sometimes have trouble starting up in one go, but even when they need a second try, after that they are very stable. Most of the troubles/malfunctions I have with locomotives, have one thing in common: me... 🤔

Apparently the SSL was taken off ln the first day of the first run due to a fire? Can anyone confirm?

Apparently the SSL was taken off ln the first day of the first run due to a fire? Can anyone confirm?
Yes, it had an electrical issue. Someone at Glenview said he saw some smoke. Guess they "deadheaded" it to MKE to drop off.

Video posted by Bus 26 shows the eastbound Empire Builder departing Edmonds, Washington with the Charger pair. 302 is leading this time instead of 301.

There are reports that this Amtrak #8(12) later hit an empty truck near Sultan, Washington.

Video posted by Bus 26 shows the eastbound Empire Builder departing Edmonds, Washington with the Charger pair. 302 is leading this time instead of 301.

There are reports that this Amtrak #8(12) later hit an empty truck near Sultan, Washington.

There are pictures on Facebook of 302 with a pickup wrapped around the front end. No one in the truck at time of impact. No reported injuries

Are they on the eastbound EB that is over 8 hours late today?
Yes. It was late leaving Seattle because they had to swap positions for 301 & 302. Then it hit a pick-up truck in Washington. 302 was not damaged much so it continued leading to Spokane. Instead of putting the Portland engine on the front, as is the usual case, they put it behind the 3 Seattle engines. 302 continues to lead.

The new locomotives look sharp. I can't help but wonder why they use mostly black, which doesn't help its visibility?

Aren't the new Brightline trains more visible, to reduce collisions with Florida drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back