Amtrak scouts eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad it had the run in with Amtrak and not a motorist who would most likeley have just let it die. It almost sounds like the incident was when the train was stopped at the station?! Any word on how long the train was delayed, Chief? Glad to hear the eagle is doing well after it all - this is actually a good press story for Amtrak.

B)

I can guarantee that that was no small impact. I was on a freight train once that pasted a huge owl that flew into the upper headlight of an SD40-2 and bounced off the FRA-safetyglass windshield. Since this took place at an overpass, my first thought was someone had jumped off the bridge-- it was that hard of an impact, less than a foot from my head. I shook for almost an hour afterwards.

In fact, Amtrak was being monitored by the EPA some years ago over the number/types of birds killed after being dazzled by the headlights. After a while sanity prevailed after someone realized that the birds weren't looking for specific railroads.

Nice to know that the eagle survived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back