Amtrak Orlando

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VentureForth

Engineer
So why doesn't Amtrak use the Church Street Station location? Is there not enough platform distance? Is it the age/condition of the station? Perhaps the lack of a passing siding if both trains are in the station... For that matter, why not stop a few more blocks North at the Lynx Central Station? On my trip last weekend, the biggest gripe that I had was that the closest bus stop only had one bus route that operates once an hour. Even just a shuttle from the Orlando Amtrak station to 455 N Garland Ave would be a HUGE benefit. As it stands, one can rarely make a decent bus 40 to bus anything connection through central station - going or coming. Not to mention, folks travelling from somewhere classified as long distance probably isn't limited to needing a bus to Universal Studios and points between. A 10 minute walk gets you to busses 7, 11, and 18, but still a very slim connection. Not a fun walk in the rain, by the way.

At CCS, you can at least have several dozen places to sit and wait for the train. Lots of nice little restaurants and bars. Only 1 block to several bus routes (but all going away from Lynx Central Station).

Honestly, though, until they get the new intermodal Sunrail station in place, they should really consider tearing down the fence at the Lynx Central Station and co-locating Amtrak with the bus stop.

Next time, I'm gonna bum a ride from PennyK.

Also, where the heck did the steam train go?

Last edited by a moderator:
Church Street Station (at least in the past) is/was a tourist night spot, not a train station. (I remember going there 20 or 30 years ago.) As I understand it, the steam train was removed to make room for the Sunrail ROW.
sad.gif

And would you trust a ride from "wrong turn Penny"?
mosking.gif

Church Street Station (at least in the past) is/was a tourist night spot, not a train station. (I remember going there 20 or 30 years ago.) As I understand it, the steam train was removed to make room for the Sunrail ROW.
sad.gif

And would you trust a ride from "wrong turn Penny"?
mosking.gif

Do they have Go-Go Dancers??

So why doesn't Amtrak use the Church Street Station location? Is there not enough platform distance? Is it the age/condition of the station? Perhaps the lack of a passing siding if both trains are in the station... For that matter, why not stop a few more blocks North at the Lynx Central Station? On my trip last weekend, the biggest gripe that I had was that the closest bus stop only had one bus route that operates once an hour. Even just a shuttle from the Orlando Amtrak station to 455 N Garland Ave would be a HUGE benefit. As it stands, one can rarely make a decent bus 40 to bus anything connection through central station - going or coming. Not to mention, folks travelling from somewhere classified as long distance probably isn't limited to needing a bus to Universal Studios and points between. A 10 minute walk gets you to busses 7, 11, and 18, but still a very slim connection. Not a fun walk in the rain, by the way.

At CCS, you can at least have several dozen places to sit and wait for the train. Lots of nice little restaurants and bars. Only 1 block to several bus routes (but all going away from Lynx Central Station).

Honestly, though, until they get the new intermodal Sunrail station in place, they should really consider tearing down the fence at the Lynx Central Station and co-locating Amtrak with the bus stop.

Next time, I'm gonna bum a ride from PennyK.

Also, where the heck did the steam train go?
I personally like getting off at Winter Park more then Orlando. Winter Park the buses run every 15 minutes between Lynx Central Station and Fern Park. Church Street Station hasn't been used as a train station for a long time, well until now that is for Sunrail. The steam train went to another museum along with the passenger cars. The chances Amtrak has of connecting with any of the Lynx buses is very slim. A lot of things can happen. The train could be late, the buses themselves could be late, plus Lynx and Amtrak haven't agreed on any connections with one another that I'm aware of. The fence will probably be in place even when Sunrail opens up in 2014. I have to look into that. When Sunrail does open though you can go to Lynx Central Station and connect to any bus you want. The Silver Service however is a long distance train not a commuter train.

The Silver Service however is a long distance train not a commuter train.
That doesn't mean that it shouldn't have healthy connections to local mass transit. People getting off a LD train aren't likely to have their own car to get around in. You don't need timed/coordinated transfers, either. If the buses run at a decent headway, it isn't a problem.

I agree that connections stink. Public transportation in Orlando stinks. If I do not get a ride from a friend, I take the 40 bus to the Lynx terminal and either walk home from there or take the 29 bus. I does annoy me that the train goes right by the same bus terminal to which I will have to back track. If I do not have a lot of luggage and the weather is nice, I will walk to Orange Avenue and catch one of the other buses if the wait for 40 is too long.

However, I recently discovered that the buses that travel close to the WPK station travel more frequently and I might try that option next time I travel and do not have anyone picking me up (and it is not raining). The bus from WPK will drop me off about a half mile from my condo.

I have lived in Orlando for 31 years and Church Street Station has not been an operating station at any time during that period. The steam engine was moved to a museum.

I am resolved to the fact that public transportion will not get better in Orlando until we have SunRail.

Most tourists visiting the Orlando area either rent a car or rely on cabs/shuttle vans. Very few rely on public transportation.

BTW - I do not always make wrong turns. During the Florida Mini Gathering, I drove Bill Haithcoat to the Greyhound Bus Station (where I had never previously been) and did not get lost. However Piotr accompanying me probably to make sure I made it back ok. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW - I do not always make wrong turns. During the Florida Mini Gathering, I drove Bill Haithcoat to the Greyhound Bus Station (where I had never previously been) and did not get lost. However Piotr accompanying me probably to make sure I made it back ok. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aloga

A Right turn Penny made is she joined AU, Mahalo

That doesn't mean that it shouldn't have healthy connections to local mass transit. People getting off a LD train aren't likely to have their own car to get around in. You don't need timed/coordinated transfers, either. If the buses run at a decent headway, it isn't a problem.
Who's going to wait one hour for a bus to come in the heat? Better yet you have to consider what if the bus is involved in accident or breaks down? That's a two hour wait time if the bus is on time that is. I don't call that decent to wait for an hour or longer for a bus in 90+ degree weather or pouring rain outside, it's a disaster and I would know I've waited one hour for a bus before. It's not just the 40 route either. The Link 7 and 18 routes also run every hour. The 11 is the only one that runs every 30 minutes and you have to drag your luggage towards Orange Avenue. I prefer Winter Park over Orlando since the 102 route runs every 15 minutes between Downtown Orlando and Fern Park as I explained. So your right if it's places like Miami or New York City where they have several hundreds of buses running. However a transit system that has 270 buses and has frequencies of 15 minutes on a few routes, 30 minutes on many routes, and 1 hour on all other routes yeah I don't think so. I can only hope Lynx improves before Sunrail arrives in 2014 or we are going to have a major problem around here.

I agree that connections stink. Public transportation in Orlando stinks. If I do not get a ride from a friend, I take the 40 bus to the Lynx terminal and either walk home from there or take the 29 bus. I does annoy me that the train goes right by the came bus terminal to which I will have to back track. If I do not have a lot of luggage and the weather is nice, I will walk to Orange Avenue and catch one of the other buses if the wait for 40 is too long.

However, I recently discovered that the buses that travel close to the WPK station travel more frequently and I might try that option next time I travel and do not have anyone picking me up (and it is not raining). The bus from WPK will drop me off about a half mile from my condo.

I have lived in Orlando for 31 years and Church Street Station has not been an operating station at any time during that period. The steam engine was moved to a museum.

I am resolved to the fact that public transportion will not get better in Orlando until we have SunRail.

Most tourists visiting the Orlando area either rent a car or rely on cabs/shuttle vans. Very few rely on public transportation.

You could take the 29 from the 102 route, which 102 runs right by the WPK station. There is a stop right at the intersection of Orange Avenue and Colonial Dr.

As Ryan mentioned, completely irrelevant. The success of any transit system is seamless transition from national to regional to local transit.

Amtrak should hit major population centers (large or small is not important). From there, people transition to light rail/commuter rail to get to suburbs and outlying population centers off the main route. Then those stations are served by busses that get to hopefully within a half mile of a good chunk of population.

For what it's worth I've made the Lynx to Amtrak connection many times over the years and never had a major issue. Yes if you "just miss" a bus then you have to wait a whole hour, but most of the time I've gotten lucky and waited an average of 20 minutes. Not bad. Once I waited over an hour.. but hey.. that's the fun of public transit!

I'm not saying Lynx is the best system ever, but they have always gotten me where I wanted to go.. which I think that's the point of transit. It's WAY cheaper than a shuttle or cab that's for sure.

I agree that connections stink. Public transportation in Orlando stinks. If I do not get a ride from a friend, I take the 40 bus to the Lynx terminal and either walk home from there or take the 29 bus. I does annoy me that the train goes right by the same bus terminal to which I will have to back track. If I do not have a lot of luggage and the weather is nice, I will walk to Orange Avenue and catch one of the other buses if the wait for 40 is too long.

I know nothing about the area except the excellent Penny Cab Company. She never makes wrong turns and never gets lost. She does not charge and she would not take the $500 tip offered.

Now about the stations: keep in mind that two railroads used to serve Orlando. One, the Atlantic Coast Line, did use the Church Street Station. The other, the Seaboard, used a 61 w central avenue location. Amtrak uses a location at 1400 sligh

blvd

It looks like today's trains use the ACL for that portion of the trip, which, in the past would have been the Church Street location. SO.....since I do not know anything personally---what gives? Is Amtraks present station on the same line where church street station is: Do trains just go through Church Street without stopping?

It kind of looks to me like there is another main line going through Orlando,that of the old Seaboard. Just to add to the confusion, the silver trains were on the Seabard in the past. THe primary ACL train was called the West Coast Champion.

Historical accident. Amtrak continued using the station which was in use immediately before the formation of Amtrak. The Church Street Station had already closed, back in 1926. So the Church Street Station got converted into a tourist attraction. Lynx Central Station was built much more recently at a third location next to the same tracks.

Amtrak could relocate its stop but that would require someone other than Amtrak to spend money, since it's expensive and Amtrak has other priorities for its limited budget. After SunRail is built, there might be some consideration of stopping Amtrak at additional SunRail stations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_%28Amtrak_station%29

The current Orlando station was opened in 1926 by the Atlantic Coast Line. The wikipedia article doesn't say why te railroad relocated from Church St. or whether they kept Church St. open after they opened this new station. I recall riding by the old station, it's possible the current station has a large waiting room, or more facilities than Chruch St. did for the (presumably) increased traffic during the roaring 20's, although my understanding is that Orlando was a bit of a backwater before the Mouse, and thus didn't really particpate in the Florida land boom of the 1920s.

According to the article, the current station is about a mile south of the Church St. station. With a roller bag, and decent weather, that's not a bad walk, actually. While it would be nice to have public transit access at the larger stations (which this certainly is), you can understand why the local transit authority isn't eager to run frequent service for 2 long-distance trains (4 arrivals/departures) that commonly aren't on schedule. I would suspect that the oly cities where you might reasonably expect good Amtrak-transit connections are laces with corridor service and good transit culture. This would be places like the major cities on the Northeast corridor , Richmond, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland, and Oakland (though the connection between Jack london Square and BART involves a longish walk. Also, overnight travelers with bags will not always find tranit to be their best options. My last trip where I did this was a trip to Brooklyn, where I connected at NYP to the New York Subway fir my 45 minute ride. Not only were the turnstiles totally user-hostile to a traveler with a suitcase, I was smashed into a standing room only car for the long trip downtown and over to Brooklyn. Then I had to transfer at Atlantic Ave, hauling my bag up and down stairways to make my connection. When I got to my final stop, no escalators, and hauling my wheelie up the stairs was a bit of a pain, due to my plantar fasciaitis. I mean it was a fun adventure, but if I were 20-30 years older I might not think so. Of course, I don't know what a cab would have cost me. When I stay in Manhattan, I do usually spring for a cab, the $20 or so is worth it to avoid the hassle of hauling my suitcase through the subway.

My source, a 1954 Atlantic Coast Line timetable, does show a location at 76 W. Church Street but it lists those as offices. It does not really specify that the trains stopped there though I would have normally thought it would mean that.

Now about the stations: keep in mind that two railroads used to serve Orlando. One, the Atlantic Coast Line, did use the Church Street Station. The other, the Seaboard, used a 61 w central avenue location. Amtrak uses a location at 1400 sligh

blvd

It looks like today's trains use the ACL for that portion of the trip, which, in the past would have been the Church Street location. SO.....since I do not know anything personally---what gives? Is Amtraks present station on the same line where church street station is: Do trains just go through Church Street without stopping?

It kind of looks to me like there is another main line going through Orlando,that of the old Seaboard. Just to add to the confusion, the silver trains were on the Seabard in the past.
Where was this Seaboard station, was 61 West Central Ave. the actual address? What stands there now?

As for your question, yes the present station is just a couple or so miles away down the line from Church Street Station. Trains always gingerly rolled by at a local ordinance limiting withing certain town limits a max. of 15 miles per hour. During the 80's when the Church St. Station was jumping with action, the steam engine was on and I believe they provided rides for a paid ticket. Even if not, the old train was a hit as the surroundings, with Rosie O'Gradies providing the main anchor with good ole fashioned happy times, lots of filled glasses turning empty, and food galore. Now it's just a ghost town of a block, with office workers traversing the tracks to get to/from lunch, meetings, or commute.

The line serving both stations is one and the same, and don't see how any other could have diverged from here unless under pre city buildup. For example, I became obsessive about a little spur branching off the Amtrak Kissimmee station, and with enough patience, discovered it was a meandering local that connected various logging companies (remember that all of Central Florida, including Orlando, is geologically part of the outskirts of the Everglades!!!!). But my memories of that little branch that ran in the street stretches back to the forgotten early 80's. With Walmarts, highway expansion, and explosive home building, all that's left is for an experienced railroad archeologist to use old track maps to see indentations in certain parking lots where the ties were, and in one instance, an entire rusty locomotive completely engulfed by weeds and other plants. In those circumstances I'd rather not go there to see it for it'll be certain to make me sad.

I think I have done more harm than good.

Let me start all over. The old Seaboard map does show tracks from Ocala to Orlando.But there are no trains listed which makes me think it was all freight by the date of this timetable 1949. The timetable does just show freight agents at that W. Central Avenue address.

But it does show Greyhound schedules as in people coming from the New York direction change from a train to a bus in Ocala to reach Orlando on the Seaboard.

I was wrong in thinking there was an additional main line going through Orlando somewhere.

Back to something I do know. The really old Seaboard route iwas this: Jacksonville,Hampton, Waldo, Ocala, Wildwood, Dade City, Plant City Tampa, on to St Pete. There was a separate Seaboard route from Jacksonville to Miami.

Florida routing is very complicated and has always changed around though the years.

One thing to factor in was the merge between Atlantic Coast Line and Seaboard into the Seaboard Coast Line. Then of course there was the long grievous Florida East Coast Line strike and how others had to absorb that.

I think I have done more harm than good.

Let me start all over. The old Seaboard map does show tracks from Ocala to Orlando.But there are no trains listed which makes me think it was all freight by the date of this timetable 1949. The timetable does just show freight agents at that W. Central Avenue address.

But it does show Greyhound schedules as in people coming from the New York direction change from a train to a bus in Ocala to reach Orlando on the Seaboard.

I was wrong in thinking there was an additional main line going through Orlando somewhere.

Back to something I do know. The really old Seaboard route iwas this: Jacksonville,Hampton, Waldo, Ocala, Wildwood, Dade City, Plant City Tampa, on to St Pete. There was a separate Seaboard route from Jacksonville to Miami.

Florida routing is very complicated and has always changed around though the years.

One thing to factor in was the merge between Atlantic Coast Line and Seaboard into the Seaboard Coast Line. Then of course there was the long grievous Florida East Coast Line strike and how others had to absorb that.
In 1970, the Seaboard route went from Miami through Waldo (not Orlando) and through Jacksonville. I do not know the entire route, but I know that when I went away to college for the first time in 1970, I took the train from Miami to Waldo (near Gainesville). I believe the train was the Meteor then, but Bill can correct me if I am wrong.

In 1970, the Seaboard route went from Miami through Waldo (not Orlando) and through Jacksonville. I do not know the entire route, but I know that when I went away to college for the first time in 1970, I took the train from Miami to Waldo (near Gainesville). I believe the train was the Meteor then, but Bill can correct me if I am wrong.
I'm not the "Bill" you intended, but, yes, the Silver Meteor was the Seaboard's premier NYC to Florida train. The top train the competing Atlantic Coast Line (and Florida East Coast south of Jacksonville) was the East Coast Champion.

When I first read this thread, my immediate reaction was this is an awesome idea!! But after thinking it through, I realized there would be some challenges.

1) Parking - both then Lynx station & Church Street Station are in prime areas with expensive parking garages as the only avenue. While at the Amtrak station, parking is free - whether you feel safe leaving your car is another topic.

2) Depending on the consists & where they would "park" the trains, either the Lynx Station, you would end up blocking one or two through streets. And since this is a 20min + stop- you would have some very upset motorist. As far as Church Street, that would be a huge inconvenience especially on nights where an event is at the Arena - Church Street is a key walking artery to the events. And with the 7:15 pm train (Silver Star) - it would cause a mess and be a huge safety liability.

Just my 2 cents.

Penny and others who live in Florida might like to know that at one time Orlando had its very own set out sleeper.

I did not try to trace when it was discontinued, I just grabbed for a December 1956 timetable and saw it still existed at that date.

It was on the Havana Special, later called the the Gulf Coast Special after the Cuban Missile crisis. It was a secondary train meaning it had mostly older equipment and slower schedule with more stops. It was an ACL train from New York and Washington to both coasts of Florida.

It had set out sleepers at such places as Washington, Jacksonville, Tampa, etc But the one I am going to detail is the one in Orlando.

This sleeper went from Washington to Orlando. Southbound it arrived Orlando at 3.40 am but could be occupied until 7.30 a.m

Northbound it could be boarded in Orlando at 9.30 pm for a train leaving at 1.35 a.m.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back