Amtrak Orders 10 New Switchers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
WILMERDING, Pa., May 26 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- MotivePower, Inc., a subsidiary of Wabtec Corporation (NYSE: WAB), today announced a $12 million order from Amtrak for 10 MP15B switcher locomotives that will be delivered this year.
Full article can be found here.

I tried to find a picture of one of these switchers, but I couldn't find anything. Anyone know what they look like?

They won't, for the time being, as the new MP15 units will be mainly used in the northeast because of their low height. Allowing the switchers to access low clearence areas. However, it does call for the retirement of the Dash-8s in part of Gunn's five year plan.

Amfleet said:
$1.2 million a piece seems about right for a switcher locomotive. Rail cars run for about half that and road power runs for about double.
Rail cars for $600K? Not very likely. The Viewliners ran about $2 million each, if I recall correctly.

PRR 60 said:
Amfleet said:
$1.2 million a piece seems about right for a switcher locomotive. Rail cars run for about half that and road power runs for about double.
Rail cars for $600K? Not very likely. The Viewliners ran about $2 million each, if I recall correctly.
Wow, didn't know railcars went for so much nowadays! However, considering all the technology put into the Viewliners I'm not surprised. A switcher is just simple diesel engine inside a metal box.

I though I read pretty much all rail equipment for passenger service new runs for about 2 million. Although those new mp36's are 3 million I think.

engine999 said:
I hope these new units dont cause Amtrak to retire the P32-8's.
Not likely as they're used on the West Coast corridor routes as motive power. They'll probably be around awhile.

tp49 said:
engine999 said:
Not likely as they're used on the West Coast corridor routes as motive power. They'll probably be around awhile.
Well the only Dash-8s units that will probably survive into the distant future are those owned by the California DOT. Though, most Amtrak Dash-8 units being used for switcher duty in various cities will probably be sold off.

Amfleet said:
You didn't find any photos because they are being made custom for Amtrak. My guess is they'll look similar to the MP15 units, but with shorter height.
Thanks. The article made it sound like they were "off the shelf" units. If they are modified MP15's, at least they'll look like switchers (an engine and cab on steel wheels) ;) .

Amfleet said:
tp49 said:
engine999 said:
Well the only Dash-8s units that will probably survive into the distant future are those owned by the California DOT. Though, most Amtrak Dash-8 units being used for switcher duty in various cities will probably be sold off.
The CDTX 2051 and 2052 aside there are several 500 series AMTK Dash 8's that see revenue service out here and have for the past couple of years. They are used in place of the F59's that seem to have constant problems not only on the Capitol's and San Joaquin's but also the Cascades and the occasional Surfliner. they'll probably be around for the forseeable future as there are no plans for replacements on the horizon.

tp49 said:
Amfleet said:
tp49 said:
engine999 said:
The CDTX 2051 and 2052 aside there are several 500 series AMTK Dash 8's that see revenue service out here and have for the past couple of years. They are used in place of the F59's that seem to have constant problems not only on the Capitol's and San Joaquin's but also the Cascades and the occasional Surfliner. they'll probably be around for the forseeable future as there are no plans for replacements on the horizon.
Maybe the state of CA will purchase them. I know gunn has in the 5yr strategic plan to retire them. For some reason Amtrak feels they have to get rid of the -8's because they load up slower, when replacing them with a p42 only saves a few minutes. If the train is going to be late, no use buying new motive power if the current pieces are still fuel efficient. They have to deal with the track owner, which is not always a brigth story.

Another (more remote possibility) is that more of the units will go into NEC Work Train service, some of the units (512, 513, and 514) got Cab Signals to go into work train service, for which the units would be well served. It's also possible that the units could be sold to a Freight outfit for Office Train Service, or to a Commuter outfit for their use (most Commuter outfits only need about 3,000 HP for light Commuter trains, and the units already have HEP).

Amfleet said:
PRR 60 said:
Amfleet said:
Wow, didn't know railcars went for so much nowadays! However, considering all the technology put into the Viewliners I'm not surprised. A switcher is just simple diesel engine inside a metal box.
Yeah, $2 million was the cost on the Viewliners. Too bad they haven't really gotten their money's worth... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back