Amtrak on time/late statistics

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of months ago Chris Juckins supplied me with his detail data on on-time performance of Amtrak trains for many years. I chose to do a summary of his data for 2015 based on Amtrak route, direction and station. I sent him the results of my work and he suggested sharing it with this forum. Here are the columns in the attached table:

Route – The name of the route like ‘Acela Express’.

Direction – N,S,E,W. If a route goes NW or SE, etc. I used the direction that was longest between the start and end station. So E if the end station is more east than north or south for instance.

StationCode – Amtrak’s code for the station

CityName – City location of the station

StateID – two position USPS state code for the station

StationName – name of the station, needed when a city like Boston has more than one.

AvgMinLate – the average of minutes late for a given route, direction and station during 2015

PercentLE15 – percentage of trips that departed from this station (or arrived at the final destination) less than or equal to 15 minutes late.

Percent1530 - percentage of trips that departed from this station (or arrived at the final destination) 15 to 30 minutes late

Percent3060 - percentage of trips that departed from this station (or arrived at the final destination) 30 to 60 minutes late

Percent60120 - percentage of trips that departed from this station (or arrived at the final destination) 60 to 120 minutes (1 to 2 hours) late

Percent120240 - percentage of trips that departed from this station (or arrived at the final destination) 120 to 240 minutes (2 to 4 hours) late

Percent240480 - percentage of trips that departed from this station (or arrived at the final destination) 240 to 480 minutes (4 to 8 hours) late

PercentOver480 - percentage of trips that departed from this station (or arrived at the final destination) more than 480 minutes (8 hours) late

The reason that I wanted to give the bands of time (15 -30, etc.) was to give an idea of how likely it would be that your trip would be a certain amount late. An average doesn’t capture that.

Attached is a zipped version of the csv file with the summary data for 2015. I am interested in any feedback, suggestions, etc.

Jim Colleran

LateStats2015.zip

Attachments

• LateStats2015.zip
    27.5 KB · Views: 27
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back