Amtrak on The Price is Right

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicManSamwise

Train Attendant
Just wanted to note something cool that I saw the other day...one of the prizes offered on "The Price is Right" on yesterday's show (4/24) was an Amtrak Vacations tour to the Grand Canyon! The copy said it was 9 days, roundtrip from Chicago, presumably on the SWC to Williams Junction...it also said "sleeper" class although it didn't specify roomette or bedroom. Judging from the cost, though (over $6100), I'd assume bedroom. Unfortunately, it wasn't won.

The show also made note of National Train Day, which I thought was cool. Drew Carey (the host) said he didn't know there was a National Train Day...maybe consider taking Amtrak next time, Drew? :)

--Sam

Hmm interesting to see that thanks for sharing, With travel the way it is I'm surprised people aren't paying the price is right for promotions. Great plug for NTD though.

Well seeing how this upcoming National Train Day is only the 2nd annual, I'm sure it hasn't gotten around all that much. Hopefully in the next coming years, it will catch.

I wonder if anyone will post a clip of that segment, such as on YouTube. I'd love to see it. Do you know what date they aired the show? They post the shows on the CBS website.

Last edited by a moderator:
It shows AMtrak suddenly seems to have hired PR guys! LoL
Or, rather, that Yankee Holidays, which runs Amtrak Vacations, has.

They seem to be riding the proverbial train for National Train Day to help push their packages. Amtrak is spending some money on it, so why not ride the coattails?

It shows AMtrak suddenly seems to have hired PR guys! LoL
Or, rather, that Yankee Holidays, which runs Amtrak Vacations, has.

They seem to be riding the proverbial train for National Train Day to help push their packages. Amtrak is spending some money on it, so why not ride the coattails?
Either way, good PR for them = good PR for Amtrak.

Well seeing how this upcoming National Train Day is only the 2nd annual, I'm sure it hasn't gotten around all that much. Hopefully in the next coming years, it will catch.
I wonder if anyone will post a clip of that segment, such as on YouTube. I'd love to see it. Do you know what date they aired the show? They post the shows on the CBS website.
Chris,

I think it aired on Friday the 24th. I caught the closing credits of the show when I walked in our shop and was surprised to see Amtrak Vacations on the list.

Mike

It was an Amtrak Vacations promotion, is that run by a separate company?
Yes, it's a travel agency that runs Amtrak Vacations for Amtrak.
Aloha

I liked a package that the old company offered. It included one way Air at a much better rate. Sadly I couldn't combine it with my Hawaii Air Tickets as that was considered 2way Air

It was an Amtrak Vacations promotion, is that run by a separate company?
Yes, it's a travel agency that runs Amtrak Vacations for Amtrak.
Aloha

I liked a package that the old company offered. It included one way Air at a much better rate. Sadly I couldn't combine it with my Hawaii Air Tickets as that was considered 2way Air
Agreed, I miss the days of the rail combined with one-way air promotions...made those cross-country trips much more affordable, and possible.

--Sam

Quite honestly, I beat those prices pretty easily out of Chicago. American had one way fares that are often better than Southwest. A few weeks ago I paid 165 ow from ORD to SF0. I used points to come back on the zephyr. It was great.

From The Show.

Rich Fields:

Its a train tour of the Grand Canyon. You and a guest will fly round trip coach from Los Angeles to Chicago for a 9 day rail journey as you explore the majesty of the grand canyon in style with Amtrak Vacations. Features stunning views aboard the Southwest Chief, deluxe hotel and sleeping car accommodations, meals, and fun filled tours of Chicago, the Grand Canyon, Sedona, and Los Angeles. Exciting vacations and more at AmtrakVacations.com. Also, celebrate national Train Day with us on May 9th, from nationaltrainday.com. Drew!

Drew Carey:

Theres a National Train Day on May 9th?? I gad no idea. You learn a little something every day.

From The Show.
Rich Fields:

Its a train tour of the Grand Canyon. You and a guest will fly round trip coach from Los Angeles to Chicago for a 9 day rail journey as you explore the majesty of the grand canyon in style with Amtrak Vacations. Features stunning views aboard the Southwest Chief, deluxe hotel and sleeping car accommodations, meals, and fun filled tours of Chicago, the Grand Canyon, Sedona, and Los Angeles. Exciting vacations and more at AmtrakVacations.com. Also, celebrate national Train Day with us on May 9th, from nationaltrainday.com. Drew!

Drew Carey:

Theres a National Train Day on May 9th?? I gad no idea. You learn a little something every day.
I think it is hilarious that they fly you half way across the country only to put you on a train that backtracks three quarters of the way from where you started.

Its bad the prize wasn't won. She had to guess the price of the package using a combination of blocks to get a 4 digit number. She stopped at $5300 or so, but it was actually $6010. Wow, even I would have had trouble at that game.

From The Show.
Rich Fields:

Drew Carey:

Why a round trip coach from LA to Chicago? Sounds like "fun filled tours of Chicago, the Grand Canyon, Sedona, and Los Angeles" would get you home!

I'm having trouble coming up with such a huge price tag. Understanding that the rail fare included a couple of "off train" nights, it seems like the price should be around $2500. Add a couple of nice hotels along the way and we're at around $3500. That means that coach round trip to and from LA is around $2500. Even at full no-discount retail, that's just a bit high.

Makes the Grand Luxe American Orient Express Rail Journey now defunct sound cheap.

I'm having trouble coming up with such a huge price tag. Understanding that the rail fare included a couple of "off train" nights, it seems like the price should be around $2500. Add a couple of nice hotels along the way and we're at around $3500. That means that coach round trip to and from LA is around $2500. Even at full no-discount retail, that's just a bit high.
Makes the Grand Luxe American Orient Express Rail Journey now defunct sound cheap.
I've read that these prizes are effectively donated by the company, and as donations the company are allowed to declare their value ... and declaring a value on the high end is advantageous to them for tax purposes, since the donation counts as a tax write-off. It also hoses the prize winner, who has to pay income taxes based on the company's declared value.

It seems backwards, in that it's sort of better advertising for Amtrak Vacations if they make their vacations look more affordable to the television audience; but it probably makes "better television" to have really expensive prizes. Unfortunately, many folks watching The Price Is Right may come away with the impression that Amtrak provides luxury vacations but is not an actual "normal mode of transportation"--especially with the "we'll fly you round-trip to and from your train trip" bit.

It was probably cheaper/simpler for the airline to donate a round-trip ticket than a one-way ticket. And they probably valued that round-trip ticket at well north of $1000 for tax purposes (so two round-trip plane tickets may very well come to $2500 here). No customer planning a vacation would actually plan their vacation around dates with those airfares when they could probably fly for a few hundre per ticket (or less); as it is, the winner would have easily wound up paying "full airfare" (several hundred, for realistic fares) in taxes to the government on the "value" of the prize they've won (a few thousand, as declared by the airline).

If we're lucky, the Price is Right contestant who didn't win will think "wow, that sounded like a fun vacation", will price it out themselves and find it's possible to do it for much less money, will take the vacation on their own dime, and will love it :)

Also, note that many Price is Right contestants aren't from the LA area! I haven't watched the show in many years (since the Bob Barker days), but my sense was that at least a third of the contestants were from out-of-state and sometimes far away--makes for better television if a good number of contestants aren't from LA, so viewers across the country can say "wow, someone from my home state!" every now and then. So if the contestant had won, she'd have to provide their own transit (likely by air) between their hometown and LA in order to take this trip!!!

I saw that too on TPIR and was amazed that while the current logo was displayed, the "B-roll" showed an F-40 vintage train with what looked like Amfleet or even Heritage equipment. That's as bad as when the typical newscast blows a story about airlines and shows footage of 15 year old liveries on planes no longer in service.

Sadly I've seen local news do a story on Amtrak and put up a picture of a New Jersey Transit train and even an LIRR train. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back