Amtrak Newbie - Surfliner to CS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody! I am currently on deployment to Iraq, but headed home soon and am thinking of taking a trip on the CS from San Diego to Albany, OR to see family. I have never ridden on Amtrak before, so this will be a first for me. But the thought of fighting to get through another plane trip is more than I can handle, especially when the Starlight goes directly to where I want to be, and I am in no hurry!

I have a few (probably dumb) questions, I can't seem to find the answers on either the surfliner or coast starlight pages online...

1) One of my friends is coming with me to make a road trip of the whole thing (I am going to Oregon to pick up my vehicle from my family who has been watching it while I am gone). I am thinking of getting a "Bedroom" sleeper car on the CS. We are both late 20's broad shouldered military guys both over six feet tall, are we going to have enough room in there, or are the beds too small? Same question goes for the shower... how big is it really? I read on one of the pages that the shower downstairs with the Roomettes is larger than the one in the rooms, is this true?

2) Second question is baggage. Each of us will have a regular suitcase in addition to a backpack. I am trying to figure out if we should check the suitcases, since we will be on the Surfliner in the morning and I am not sure how that would work trying to roll those on as "carry ons". If I do check it, I am assuming that Amtrak will handle getting the bags from the PS to the Starlight at LAUS? Since Albany seems to be just a quick stop, they will in fact get the bags out of the baggage car for us, correct?

Again, sorry for the probably dumb questions. I am really looking forward to this trip... and considering I have Family in Albany, San Jose and Sacramento, this may become my new main mode of transport instead of "slabbing it" up I-5 every time!

The width of the beds shouldn't be a problem for you guys at 2'4" and 3'4" for the upper and lower respectively. The lenght however could be depending on just how far over 6' you guys are. The upper is 6'2" and the lower is 6'3" long.

And yes, the shower is very small. Think Superman phone booth small and then go a bit smaller. I'm 5'11" and 160 lbs and I almost never use that shower cause I'm slamming my elbows into the wall when I try to wash. I'll almost always head for the public shower on the lower level.

As for the suitcases, it's really up to you if you want to check them or not. There is a luggage rack on the lower level of your car that can hold the suitcases and you can just bring the backpacks to the room. If you do check them, remember that you won't have access to them during your journey. And yes, Amtrak will transfer them from the Surfliner to the Starlight and then will remove them from the baggage car upon arrival in Albany. Usually within 10 to 15 minutes, if not sooner at a small station, you'll be able to claim the bags.

Great! I am going to go ahead and book these tickets tonight! To be honest, I would have booked them anyway... this is a trip we have been talking about for a while.

Like I said in my first post, I hope this goes well, as I am hoping to dump the airport for this kind of travel! There is a wealth of info on here, I have been busy all day reading it. Thanks to everyone who has put all of this together.

Usually within 10 to 15 minutes, if not sooner at a small station, you'll be able to claim the bags.
In Atlanta, 30-45 minutes.... :blink:
At some smaller stations where you can get the bags outside (such as GJT, the old SLC station or the old RNO station), I picked up my bags even before the train departed!

I agree about ATL. When I was there a few years ago, we were waiting for a cart to bring us in to the station. After waiting for a long time, even the conductor made a 2nd call. After we finally got in to the station, we still had to wait for our bags! :blink:

Keep a good watch on your bag's weight! (50 lb Limit)
If you're checking bags or ask an employee or Red Cap for assistance, they may check. But if you carry them on, and can easily carry them yourself, nobody is going to check!
And you can usually get away with more than two carryon- just make it look easy and don't screw around with other stuff and the conductors will turn a blind eye (that is, if they even notice)

First, navydevildoc, thank you for your service to your country.

Second, you'll have a great ride of the CS! The "Parlor Car" is great -- and the scenery amazing -- both in California and Oregon!

Enjoy your trip, and again, thank you!

Thanks guys for all the input. I still have one small question about the luggage... does anyone know if the surfliner has a luggage rack on it for larger gear... all I can see online is the overhead bins in Business Class (which is what I booked).

Other than that, tickets are purchased. Catching the early morning Surfliner then on to the Starlight in a bedroom sleeper.

Now I am getting excited about it... even if it isn't until November! I was reading up on the Parlor Car... sounds like a good time! Too bad it looks like we can't bring any "private" alcohol into the parlor car, but it's still better than a plane any day of the week!

Thanks guys for all the input. I still have one small question about the luggage... does anyone know if the surfliner has a luggage rack on it for larger gear... all I can see online is the overhead bins in Business Class (which is what I booked).
Other than that, tickets are purchased. Catching the early morning Surfliner then on to the Starlight in a bedroom sleeper.

Now I am getting excited about it... even if it isn't until November! I was reading up on the Parlor Car... sounds like a good time! Too bad it looks like we can't bring any "private" alcohol into the parlor car, but it's still better than a plane any day of the week!
There should be an area to store larger items in a rack on the lower level near the doors. Mind you my experience on CA equipment is limited only to the services in Northern California but the cars should have the same layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back