Amtrak Meal Times

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally Amtrak meal times are served:

Breakfast 6- 8:30AM

Lunch 11:30-3PM

Dinner 5- 9PM

These mealtime windows do present questions. We've always been on a train and were always able to reserve a meal time within these hours. However what happens when you get onboard just before mealtime ends?

Next June we will board the Crescent at 8PM in Culpeper VA. We don't expect to eat dinner on the train but will it even be offered? If so what is the latest that you can order and still have a meal before the kitchn closes...1 hour before, 30 minutes before?

The second question is that the Crecent departs NOL at 7:05 AM? Do they allow early boarding to get breakfast served? I would assume yes. Then it arrives back in Culpeper at 8:12 AM the next day. With this arrival time, will we be offered breakfast? I would also assume yes.

Does anyone know for sure?

On crescent leaving new orleans, I have always been served after crossing the lake, no early meal.

You just might get dinner out of Culpepper given the pax load getting on board in D.C. The only thing you'll get early in NOL is a cup of coffee in the Magnolia Room IF someone made some. The opening time of the NYP based diner on # 20 has always been a sore thumb for Amtrak. I generally board at Slidell and most, but not all, times that have just opened for service. I have gone as far as Picayune (8:15 a.m.) before they opened up and I've been in the # 10 car directly next to the diner so I could see that no one else, except crew,was eating. I don't know how many times I've been told that the diner is supposed to be open upon departure from NOL but it's a bunch. The crew's standard excuse is the commissary late delivered their supplies :blush:

Thanks for the info. I guess that we will eat in Culpeper before departure and look for a Duncan Donuts near NOL station on the way back. Can anyone tell me if there is a coffee shop anywhere in walking distance of NOL station?

The crew's standard excuse is the commissary late delivered their supplies :blush:
No Shi$. I can't tell you how may times I heard my steward tell us "This is what he was going to say,.......and that we didn't have to report until XX:xx time......" And many times, we, the crew, ate first!

Hope things have changed "Uncle Jay"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. I guess that we will eat in Culpeper before departure and look for a Duncan Donuts near NOL station on the way back. Can anyone tell me if there is a coffee shop anywhere in walking distance of NOL station?
Unfortunately, the closest Dunkies is in Metairie, about eight miles away :( . I have walked from the French Quarter to NOUPT, but cannot remember seeing any coffee shops on the way. I'm sure there is coffe available, possibly closer to the FQ.

Either way, enjoy New Orleans!

Mike

You just won't find a Dunkin' Donuts anywhere in Orleans Parish. Now a beignet shoppe or two yes. You can cab from the Cafe Du Monde or Morning Call to NOUPT for about $8; enjoy the beignets 'cause you won't find any better with a cup of cafe au lait !!!

The crew's standard excuse is the commissary late delivered their supplies :blush:
No Shi$. I can't tell you how may times I heard my steward tell us "This is what he was going to say,.......and that we didn't have to report until XX:xx time......" And many times, we, the crew, ate first!

Hope things have changed "Uncle Jay"
Unfortunately, the only thing that has changed is the Crescent On Board Service Manager based in NOL and she's harder to find than the fellow she swapped off with; every now and then they take turns on swapping Crescent for City.Gives new meaning to the old kids story, "Catch me if you can!"

You just won't find a Dunkin' Donuts anywhere in Orleans Parish. Now a beignet shoppe or two yes. You can cab from the Cafe Du Monde or Morning Call to NOUPT for about $8; enjoy the beignets 'cause you won't find any better with a cup of cafe au lait !!!

Yes that's a good idea and I beleive Cafe Du Monde may still be open open 24 hrs. I guess we will need to stay in the residentail area of the French Quarter as we will need to make our way over with luggage and all to grab the chicory coffee and the sugar coated 1000 calory deep fried beignets-LOL.

You should be able to get dinner out of Culpeper.

I like eating dinner late, and I usually take the last seating. On my last trip aboard the Crescent, I was seated for dinner right at 9:00pm, and had no problem. There is never any breakfast served right at the 7:05 am departure out for NOLA.

They usually start breakfast a bit later. I don't believe there is any type of coffee shop right near the Amtrak station there in NOLA. There is a little sandwich shop/deli type place right in the Amtrak Station, but it is pretty disgusting and dirty, and is not open that early in the morning.

I would suggest you ask someone for a suggestion as to where to get your morning coffee.

There are many wonderful little cafe's througout the French Quarter.

Forget Dunkin' Donuts!

David

:cool:

You should be able to get dinner out of Culpeper.

I like eating dinner late, and I usually take the last seating. On my last trip aboard the Crescent, I was seated for dinner right at 9:00pm, and had no problem. There is never any breakfast served right at the 7:05 am departure out for NOLA.

They usually start breakfast a bit later. I don't believe there is any type of coffee shop right near the Amtrak station there in NOLA. There is a little sandwich shop/deli type place right in the Amtrak Station, but it is pretty disgusting and dirty, and is not open that early in the morning.

I would suggest you ask someone for a suggestion as to where to get your morning coffee.

There are many wonderful little cafe's througout the French Quarter.

Forget Dunkin' Donuts!

David

:cool:
Amen Bro! Cafe du Monde is THE place to go before heading for Union Station! :wub: The deli in the station is a Subway,since the Long Dog station shares the station it's busy at lunch but not open for breakfast AFAIK! Sometimes the Magnola Room will have coffee, but as i always say "Where's the Magnolias??" Jim

On the CZ, dinner wasn't served until 5:30 p.m. Didn't start at 5 p.m. (traveled 10-2 through 10-4, and 10-12 through 10-14)

Not highly unusual...at one time the NYP diner on # 19 got away with not opening for dinner until after leaving Washigton...their excuse? Oh, we don't have power while they are swapping engines . Real reason? Probably figure some people would give up when they saw a full diner.

Not highly unusual...at one time the NYP diner on # 19 got away with not opening for dinner until after leaving Washigton...their excuse? Oh, we don't have power while they are swapping engines . Real reason? Probably figure some people would give up when they saw a full diner.

Really? You would think they would want the opportunity to make more tips! How much does the dining staff make per hour?

As for breakfast - Usually by the time Conductors have taken tickets, etc. I head to the diner and they are serving. I usually end up sitting down about the time we cross Lake Ponchatrain. I've been on the Crescent in/out of NOL about 5 times this year and never had any issues with the diner.

As for Coffee in NOL - I usually stay at the Holiday Inn on Canal Street. Inside the Sheraton on Canal Street there is a Starbucks that is open early enough for the morning train walk. There is also a local "PJ's Coffee" on Canal Street, and one on St. Charles, but they do not open super early.

Of course I too vote for Cafe' du Monde, but it is in the extreme opposite direction of the train station if your staying near the intersection of Canal and St. Charles which is where I like to stay (cause of the street cars.)

Really? You would think they would want the opportunity to make more tips! How much does the dining staff make per hour?
Amtrak acquired a number of "stewards" from the RR's that gave up pax service in '71. In their RR times the diner was watched over by the steward who had four waiters on the floor and four cooks/dishwasher in the galley. The stewards never really had to do anything except serve alcohol and take money. Now that some LD trains have an LSA, one cook and one SA it can be a chore to serve everyone even if the LSA puts all out. It only takes one LSA to play steward and I think you can get the picture. Off hand I think an SA in the diner starts off somewhere around $14 an hour (I'm sure somebody on here knows the exact figure) with some of the best benefits a company, in today's market, has to offer.

As for breakfast - Usually by the time Conductors have taken tickets, etc. I head to the diner and they are serving. I usually end up sitting down about the time we cross Lake Ponchatrain. I've been on the Crescent in/out of NOL about 5 times this year and never had any issues with the diner.

As for Coffee in NOL - I usually stay at the Holiday Inn on Canal Street. Inside the Sheraton on Canal Street there is a Starbucks that is open early enough for the morning train walk. There is also a local "PJ's Coffee" on Canal Street, and one on St. Charles, but they do not open super early.

Of course I too vote for Cafe' du Monde, but it is in the extreme opposite direction of the train station if your staying near the intersection of Canal and St. Charles which is where I like to stay (cause of the street cars.)
Just where have I been ??? My log book shows 18 trips on #20 out of Slidell from 01/01/09 until 09/30/10~ three had the diner open leaving Slidell and one of those openings was going over the McDonald's crossing north of town. I need to see your Fantasy Football team quick!!! :cool: :lol:

Just where have I been ??? My log book shows 18 trips on #20 out of Slidell from 01/01/09 until 09/30/10~ three had the diner open leaving Slidell and one of those openings was going over the McDonald's crossing north of town. I need to see your Fantasy Football team quick!!! :cool: :lol:
Well indeed you have me beat in ride times (lucky!). I guess I've just gotten lucky on the Crescent. Same way I always get UN-lucky on the Capitol.

I distinctly remember sitting down for breakfast over the lake at least once. Since I don't always jump up to the diner first thing I can't say when they have opened on each trip.

I will be on the Capitol Ltd out of Chi at 6:40 pm. Can I expect dinner?

Pete, If you are in a sleeper, the lounge attendents in CUS will give you a dinner reservation time. They start serving dinner before the train even leaves the station. I usually request a 7:00 or later so that we will actually be on our way when I eat.

Dinner is served out of CHI, the early seating often dines while the train is still in the Station. If you are travelling sleeper I believe they will take your dinner reservation when you check in at the Metropolitan Lounge. It's been a few years since I've done the Cap so procedures could have changed.

Dinner is served out of CHI, the early seating often dines while the train is still in the Station. If you are travelling sleeper I believe they will take your dinner reservation when you check in at the Metropolitan Lounge. It's been a few years since I've done the Cap so procedures could have changed.
It was still the same last Summer (2013); I made sure to get a Dinner res late enough so I wouldn't be eating going nowhere in a dark train shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back