Amtrak handicapped cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are looking for information on accessibility at Amtrak stations.

When there is not a 48" platform, is the only substitute the mobile lifts?

Doesn't Amtrak have some low-lying cars? I have some miniature models that are designed that way; 2 levels, with a lower door, probably accessible to a 15" platform.

I am told by Amtrak that these cars are not present on the "Empire Builder" line. But i seem to remember seeing them somewhere.

Has anyone seen one? What height is the step? Does a wheelchair roll right in? Or is this simply a 2-level car? And not freely accessible. What happens when one of these low-riders pull into a station with a 48 platform?

Welcome!

The cars you are referring to are called "Superliners", which do run on the Empire Builder - however, there is still a step up into the car - probably about 12-15" (but I usually don't ride them, so my memory is a little foggy).

We are looking for information on accessibility at Amtrak stations.When there is not a 48" platform, is the only substitute the mobile lifts?

Doesn't Amtrak have some low-lying cars? I have some miniature models that are designed that way; 2 levels, with a lower door, probably accessible to a 15" platform.

I am told by Amtrak that these cars are not present on the "Empire Builder" line. But i seem to remember seeing them somewhere.

Has anyone seen one? What height is the step? Does a wheelchair roll right in? Or is this simply a 2-level car? And not freely accessible. What happens when one of these low-riders pull into a station with a 48 platform?
Some trains have onboard ramps. These can be pretty steep depending on the station. Some stations have those manual lifts. And LAX has a golf-car-type vehicle for wheelchairs with a ramp that deploys either to ground or right into the door of the train; this is nice because otherwise the ramp is quite steep, enough so that I get help up and do a wheelie down to avoid flipping forward.

The bi-level cars that come out west are accessible on the lower level only. Someone else might know the door height, but it is more than 15". I've been off one into gravel (no platform) and it was definitely a long reach to the yellow stepstool they carry.

The California cars used on the San Joquin and other services have a lift built into the coach, so the platform issue does not matter. But, you will be stuck on the lower level in whatever car you get on, as the doorways between cars are on the upper level only. Same is also true for the Caltrain Cars, except that for the older gallery style cars the doorway is on the level that you are on, not that it makes that much difference, as I don't think you could negotiate the doorways between cars in a wheelchair. Also, being a commuter train there is not food service car, anyway.

We are looking for information on accessibility at Amtrak stations.When there is not a 48" platform, is the only substitute the mobile lifts?

I don't know if this helps your situation but when boarding a SWC superliner at Flagstaff this summer, I had to step up to the train on one of the yellow stools. I was able to get up on the stool but didn't have the strength to lift myself from the stool to the door opening - even with the available handles I could grab onto. The attendant was quick to help pull me up while my wife pushed from the back. I kind of felt like an hesitant unwilling horse being pushed into a posting gate at the race track! :lol:

Anyway, it worked, I got up and if more help were needed, I'm sure I would have gotten the attention I needed just as I always have in past trips where needed. As a handicapped passenger I've always found Amtrak's employees to be helpful in anyway they can!

Anyway, it worked, I got up and if more help were needed, I'm sure I would have gotten the attention I needed just as I always have in past trips where needed. As a handicapped passenger I've always found Amtrak's employees to be helpful in anyway they can!
they have to be if they don't want to be sued by the ADA (American disability association) .

they have to be if they don't want to be sued by the ADA (American disability association) .
As true as this is I can usually tell if there's an underlying attitude, and to date I've seen none! To me this speaks well of them and their employer. I'd give them 3 thumbs up... but I only have two! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Americans with Disabilities Act It's the law, not a group of litigants. (Although it might seem like litigants because the law was written so that enforcement "wouldn't cost anything" but would instead be through lawsuits.)

Agreed, Amtrak employees are always helpful.

Which leads to the question, what is the purpose of the original question? I could see it being anything between accurate creation of a model layout and taking a trip with a power wheelchair! If you are traveling with a wheelchair, more information about it (like size and turning radius) and the stations where you will be getting on and off will get you more useful details.

as a 30+ year veteran and 100% wheelchair user

and one of the members of the committee that wrote the Amtrak ADA regulations

and a regular rider of Amtrak

and having just got back from a trip around the country including on the Empire Builder

a few comments.

the main equipment used on Amtrak are high floor (approx 48inch floor ATOR) and the double decked Superliners (approx 17inch ATOR)

(ATOR is how heights are always meausered and means "Above Top of Rail")

the high floor equipment is usually used East of the Mississippi River (Capitol Limited and City of New Orleans are exceptions)

over 90% of all Amtrak passengers board at accessible stations and this number is increasing annually

ALL trains are accessible and ADA compliant.

there are several methods of boarding a train in a wheelchair.

. high platforms with dfirect roll in usually on the North East Corridor and occasional odd places about the system.

. Other High Floor cars use the portable manual wheelchair lifts (usally the Canadian Mobitech)

. Superliners all have ramps on board, the older Pullman Ramps (alum) work much better than the newer Bombarier (Fibreglas) ramps

both have two sections one piece which can reach higher platforms and with the second section added can reach any platform, often you have to ask to get them to use both sections.

. a few California Stations have raised sections of station platform that line up with California car floors.

. the Talgos (and only the Talgos and VRE commuter cars) have on board lifts. these are slow and often broken.

. Onboard ALL new cars are required to be accessible.

. Suberliner Coaches have access on the lower level and an accessible Restroom.

. the Superliner Lounge is accessible on the lower level

. the Superliner sleepers have an accessible ADA compliant sleeping room.

. meals are delivered to the sleeper, coach, or lounge car at no extra charge.

. All Acela trains are accessible via high platforms (all classes)

. high floor cars also accessible

. coach cars have a place to park and/or transfer to a seat. there is an accessible restroom on each accessible car.

. Viewliner Sleepers have an accessible room on all Eastern trains with sleepers.

. the accessible room of at least on car is supposed to be couple adjacent to the accessible end of the single level dining car, so that going to the diner should be possible (in 37 years of riding I have only had this done right once)

. problems to be aware of.

. crews rarely let one use the lounge car even though the code requires this.

. accessible coach seats in California cars have no windows!

. the accessible restroom is often used for crew storage so check and get it cleaned out before needing it.

. the wheelchair location on single level cars is often used for baggage storage, so sometimes getting it cleared out is a hassle.

. in the single level diners it is routine for the crews to use the wheelchair table access spot to store tableware

most but far from all crewmembers are quite accomodating and helpful.

with ticketing you MUST (no exception) you must talk to a real live person to get assured accessible seat reservations.

if the reservation agent has any problems ask to speak to the "special services desk"

. special meals can be had on advance notice

. service animals are premitted but be aware most animals cannot use regular restrooms and rest stops are not always real easy to use for that

some of the high points. any questions just ask.

Bob

. coach cars have a place to park and/or transfer to a seat.
The Amtrak cars LAX-SAN (single level) have space behind the transfer seats for a folding chair but not a rigid chair. Folding up the seat and staying in my chair, the seatback table would only fold down to about chin height.

Same train, business class seats also have no windows! I used my seat to plug in stuff and wandered the car, probably upsetting people who had to keep moving their briefcases and toes out of the way.

. coach cars have a place to park and/or transfer to a seat.
The Amtrak cars LAX-SAN (single level) have space behind the transfer seats for a folding chair but not a rigid chair. Folding up the seat and staying in my chair, the seatback table would only fold down to about chin height.

Same train, business class seats also have no windows! I used my seat to plug in stuff and wandered the car, probably upsetting people who had to keep moving their briefcases and toes out of the way.
I nurse a soda or coffee in the cafe car on most trips

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back