Amtrak Guest Rewards Points......

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S.

Service Attendant
Hey guys,

I've been a memeber in AGR for a little while now. I've built up a nice amount, esp since I have the credit card. When redeeming for Amtrak travel...say a Bedroom, is the points price per person or for the room? Or do you have to use points for 2 "seats" and then points for the bedroom. I'm looking at the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle, thats 30,000 points for the bedroom. It would be me and my better half. So would 30,000 points cover it? Or do I need to do the 30,000 twice? or use points for the coach tickets PLUS the bedroom? Sorry for the long post.

Mike,

The 30,000 points covers everything one way, the bedroom and the two tickets for you and your better half.

And of course once in a sleeper, all meals are then part of the package.

I'm not sure just when you plan to take this trip, but unless it's during the summer months, if at all possible I'd suggest going the other way as you'll get to see more of the best scenery going east. At this time of the year, going west you'll miss the best stuff in the dark.

I'm not sure just when you plan to take this trip, but unless it's during the summer months, if at all possible I'd suggest going the other way as you'll get to see more of the best scenery going east. At this time of the year, going west you'll miss the best stuff in the dark.

Better make the reservations quick. I just spent half of yesterday trying to get a round trip I could either afford or that wasn't sold out and 90% of the trips are sold out it seems in april and into may already. So much for no demand for long distance trains. I can still hardly believe they can ask from 440 to over 1,300 one way for a bedroom. Its almost breathtaking the amount they charge.

Last edited:
Better make the reservations quick. I just spent half of yesterday trying to get a round trip I could either afford or that wasn't sold out and 90% of the trips are sold out it seems in april and into may already. So much for no demand for long distance trains. I can still hardly believe they can ask from 440 to over 1,300 one way for a bedroom. Its almost breathtaking the amount they charge.
That is the free market system for ya.

One attribute of the Amtrak Guest Rewards program is the lack of capacity control on award reservations. There are blackout dates, but that is it. You can book a free room even if it is the last and most expensive room on the train. That is very nice from the member standpoint. You can check availability on-line and then call AGR to book.
Once again, unless you absolutely have to, DO NOT get the tickets issued. Changing an AGR reservation is easy until the tickets are issued, and can be very difficult after the tickets are issued, at least for date or route changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
One attribute of the Amtrak Guest Rewards program is the lack of capacity control on award reservations. There are blackout dates, but that is it. You can book a free room even if it is the last and most expensive room on the train. That is very nice from the member standpoint. You can check availability on-line and then call AGR to book.
Once again, unless you absolutely have to, DO NOT get the tickets issued. Changing an AGR reservation is easy until the tickets are issued, and can be very difficult after the tickets are issued, at least for date or route changes.
I've found that even going to an agent to get them printed can be quite a process. Last summer, my wife and I cashed some points to take a trip on the Pacific Surfliner. The tickets were lost in the mail, so I went to MSP to have them printed. It was about a 20 minute wait while the agent figured out the AGR system.

Likewise, we decided to take an earlier train back to San Diego and had to wait about the same amount of time then as well. Just be sure to bring something along to read... B)

Dan

I've found that even going to an agent to get them printed can be quite a process. Last summer, my wife and I cashed some points to take a trip on the Pacific Surfliner. The tickets were lost in the mail, so I went to MSP to have them printed. It was about a 20 minute wait while the agent figured out the AGR system.
Likewise, we decided to take an earlier train back to San Diego and had to wait about the same amount of time then as well. Just be sure to bring something along to read... B)
That's why I always request the AGR agent set the tickets up for printing from a Quik Trak machine. Makes it much easier to pick up the tickets as the machine doesn't have to think about how to do it.

That's why I always request the AGR agent set the tickets up for printing from a Quik Trak machine. Makes it much easier to pick up the tickets as the machine doesn't have to think about how to do it.
Which I would have loved to have done, except neither MSP nor San Diego have them to initially print my tickets...

Do you know if there are plans to add them to more stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back