Amtrak GiftPak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
My family likes to go to the county fair. I avoid it. They went Saturday, 8-11-07, and found an Amtrak booth just inside the entrance to the fairgrounds. They said the people at the booth were friendly and helpful, and the family even brought me back a few souvenirs:

A 2007-2008 system timetable. Haven't perused it yet, but a handsome cover of an Acela Express near Mystic, CT. Don't know about other places, but system timetables are hard to come by around here; very valuable to me.

A copy of "making tracks," the Amtrak California passenger publication (Vol. 17, No. 2 Summer 2007).

Southwest Chief timetable.

Amtrak California timetable. My sister told a booth person that I had recently taken a trip on the Pacific Surfliner (I actually rode the Coast Starlight, and you can read the posts and see the pics), and was told "He'll like this, then."

Amtrak California clickable ballpoint pen. It writes in black and feels pretty good in the hand. A keeper.

Amtrak California luggage tag (made in Taiwan), with plastic attachment thing. One side of the tag shows an Amtrak California train, and above it "Stretch Out."

These little goodies came in a handsomely printed (both sides, different illustrations) plastic bag.

All in all not much, but cool anyway. Probably the coolest part is that I have a family that appreciates my love of trains, and even caters to it in small and touching ways.

Oh, one not-so-nice thing: My mom, who is getting on in years, had to be grabbed - not gently - from under a lowering crossing gate by my niece's fiancee. The rail line runs right next to the fairgrounds, and during the fair Metrolink runs special trains to and from the fair; many trains coming and going, Metrolink on top of U.P. and Amtrak. Metrolink doesn't usually run around there, so folks aren't used to it. If I had been there that wouldn't have happened. Family is not as safety-conscious as me, but fortunately the fiancee was alert.

My family likes to go to the county fair. I avoid it. They went Saturday, 8-11-07, and found an Amtrak booth just inside the entrance to the fairgrounds. They said the people at the booth were friendly and helpful, and the family even brought me back a few souvenirs:
A 2007-2008 system timetable. Haven't perused it yet, but a handsome cover of an Acela Express near Mystic, CT. Don't know about other places, but system timetables are hard to come by around here; very valuable to me.
a winter 2007-2008 timetable? i didn't know these were already out this early. any changes of interest to share?

-- eliyahu

waterbury, ct

a winter 2007-2008 timetable? i didn't know these were already out this early. any changes of interest to share?

-- eliyahu

waterbury, ct
My apologies to all. It's not a system timetable. I glanced at it when I first got it, but didn't look inside. Just assumed it was the system timetable. It's really only a route guide. Still a nice publication, but not a timetable. Sorry for the stupid mistake.

A copy of "making tracks," the Amtrak California passenger publication (Vol. 17, No. 2 Summer 2007).

Southwest Chief timetable.

Amtrak California timetable. My sister told a booth person that I had recently taken a trip on the Pacific Surfliner (I actually rode the Coast Starlight, and you can read the posts and see the pics), and was told "He'll like this, then."

Amtrak California clickable ballpoint pen. It writes in black and feels pretty good in the hand. A keeper.

Amtrak California luggage tag (made in Taiwan), with plastic attachment thing. One side of the tag shows an Amtrak California train, and above it "Stretch Out."

These little goodies came in a handsomely printed (both sides, different illustrations) plastic bag.

All in all not much, but cool anyway. Probably the coolest part is that I have a family that appreciates my love of trains, and even caters to it in small and touching ways.

Oh, one not-so-nice thing: My mom, who is getting on in years, had to be grabbed - not gently - from under a lowering crossing gate by my niece's fiancee. The rail line runs right next to the fairgrounds, and during the fair Metrolink runs special trains to and from the fair; many trains coming and going, Metrolink on top of U.P. and Amtrak. Metrolink doesn't usually run around there, so folks aren't used to it. If I had been there that wouldn't have happened. Family is not as safety-conscious as me, but fortunately the fiancee was alert.
which county fair? Del Mar or OC? They had a booth at the travel show in Long Beach and given away "postcard set". it was nice.

In LNK from May-October they have the Farmers Market right smack dab in front on our Amtrak station. I mean, farmers selling stuff, organic foods, breads, nik-naks etc. I don't know why there is no one there handing out Amtrak stuff. I don't know if its "illegal" to "petition" or what. Heck...even a table with some rail info or CZ stuff. I have recently joined Pro-Rail Nebraska and look forward to the first meeting I will attend in September. I will ask them if anyone has ever thought of this or if its "against rules" or whatever. Sometimes when the CZ is real late, I will go down to the Farmers Market and "float" around and then watch the #6 come in. I'm not the only one who walks up to the tracks to do this. Everyone standing there is using that saying, "I've always wanted to take Amtrak".

which county fair? Del Mar or OC? They had a booth at the travel show in Long Beach and given away "postcard set". it was nice.
LA County Fair, or locally called Fairplex. It's a very interesting fair that I went there when I lived in CA.
Ventura County fair, which ends this evening. Fireworks every night at 10, which I can hear from my house and which scare the living daylights (where the Daylights ran) outta my cat, Intruder. HAHA!! Del Mar would be the San Diego County fair, and there's a pretty nice horse racing track there. Solana Beach is the Amtrak stop for Del Mar, and at least in racing seasons there's a free shuttle to/from the track using old London double-deck buses. Beware: One of the drivers does bad renditions of Don Ho songs. "Tiny Bubbles" three times on the way to the track. Felt like taking money out of his tip jar for putting me through that hell. JOKE!

Not sure where the OC (Orange County) fairgrounds are located. Santa Ana is the OC seat, but the fairgrounds aren't there (pretty station, though). When you've got Disneyland over in Anaheim, the fair is small potatoes. L.A. County fairgrounds - Fairplex - are in Pomona. I think Metrolink runs special trains for that fair as well. Metrolink also runs special trains to NASCAR races at California Speedway in Ontario.

Baseball fans note: The Amtrak/Metrolink Anaheim station is right in the parking lot of Angels stadium, but unless you're going to a day game the Amtrak/Metrolink scheduling is not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back