Amtrak Funding

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_Tom_*

Now that Congress has authorized approximately 15 billion for the next 5 years, when does the money actually get appropriated and given to Amtrak so that they can start executing their plans?

Each year Congress will have to appropriate the amount of money outlined in the plan for that year. And of course Congress doesn't actually have to follow the plan, although in the past they usually came close to the numbers in the plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Each year Congress will have to appropriate the amount of money outlined in the plan for that year. And of course Congress doesn't actually have to follow the plan, although in the past they usually came close to the numbers in the plan.
Is that really true? I don;t have the numbers handy with me but my impression is that during the period covered by the last authorization bill, Congress actually appropriated around half of what was authorized. Of course I am quite happy to be shown the error of my recollection.

Is that really true? I don;t have the numbers handy with me but my impression is that during the period covered by the last authorization bill, Congress actually appropriated around half of what was authorized. Of course I am quite happy to be shown the error of my recollection.
The last Amtrak authorization (1997) called for $5.2 billion over five years (FY98 to FY02). Amtrak received $5.3 billion in those five years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Authorization is largely meaningless. In the end, Congress and do whatever it wants.

So when does Congress appropriate funding for Amtrak? Can Amtrak start spending before approval since they have an idea how much money will be approved?

So when does Congress appropriate funding for Amtrak? Can Amtrak start spending before approval since they have an idea how much money will be approved?
That's kind of the way people and companies get in trouble, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back