Amtrak Enters the Hawai'ian Market

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
I just heard Amtrak is working with the State of Hawai'i to begin interisland service connecting the entire state by rail rather than people having to fly between the islands.

Too bad they will never have passanger trains in Hawai'i.

But they do have passenger trains in Hawaii!
rolleyes.gif

There is a railroad just west of Pearl Harbor that carries passengers. (I forget the name.) But it is only a few miles long! And there are some trains that run thru the sugar cane fields!

Last year, there was even a NTD event listed on the Big Island!
cool.gif
(And those are not April Fools jokes either.)

I just heard Amtrak is working with the State of Hawai'i to begin interisland service connecting the entire state by rail rather than people having to fly between the islands.

I just heard it was the first of April.

Well, on a more serious note, there's the planned rapid transit project...

Of course, many of us remember the long railroad bridge between Los Angeles and Hawaii! Too bad it was eaten by sharks...
help.gif

As for size Hawaii ranks #47 in total area out of the 50 states. The largest island, Hawaii (known locally as the "Big Island") extends 76 mi (122 km) E-W and 93 mi (150 km) N-S; Oahu, the most populous island, extends 44 mi (71 km) E-W and 30 mi (48 km) N-S.

At 93 miles N-S there could be a need for a day run on the Big Island. As for connecting to Oahu the cost of the bridge or causeway would be prohibitive and who knows how long it would last in Tsunami country. A N-S run down the center of the large island at 93 miles (roughly a two hour ride) can be easily covered by bus.

But they do have passenger trains in Hawaii!
rolleyes.gif

There is a railroad just west of Pearl Harbor that carries passengers. (I forget the name.) But it is only a few miles long!
Indeed. I rode on it last year. It has two departures per week, making it even less useful as a means

of transportation than even the Sunset Limited.

Another mark against its viability as a passenger service is that there's only one station meaning that

every trip is a round-trip right back to where you started. Commuters, for example, would not find this

particularly useful.

However, like the Coast Starlight, this train does have a parlor car, albeit just once a month.

In all seriousness, the Hawaiian Railway is a moderately fun excursion but it's not especially worth going too

far out of your way for. The novelty of riding on a train in Hawaii is something, but it's not a particularly scenic

journey and the ambiance is only slightly better than an amusement park ride. Kids, however, will love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back