Amtrak engineers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very interested in a career with Amtrak as an Engineer. From what I have read, there are two ways to get hired as an Engineer.

1. You have past experience with another railroad as a certified Engineer.

2. You get promoted from Conductor to Engineer.

I just wanted to know which way would be give me my best chances as to becoming an Engineer? How long would it take for a Conductor for Amtrak to get promoted to Engineer? Any information would be helpful.

I'm no expert in this topic, but I've heard that once you have been a Conductor for two years you can try to get promoted to Engineer. I am sure out member Shortline has much more information.

I am not an Amtrak engineer, so I can't be too specific, but you basically nailed it-Best way to get there is to start in Train service as an Asst Conductor, to Conductor, to Engineer. Other way is to start on a freight RR as a Conductor, become certified as an engineer after 2-5 years, then get hired straight over as an engineer (though you will go through another complete retraining period with AMTK). Not all engineers are created equal, they place a high emphasis on Class 1 training, therefore being initially trained and qualified from one of the big 7 (UP/BNSF/NS/CSX/KCS/CN/CP) is a big head start, from some of the smaller roads. All depends on what you want to do, and how you best think you can manage getting there. The time it takes to go from Train Service, to Engine Service, all depends on where you work out of, how many engineers they need, and where you stand in the seniority line at your area-Some do it in a year or less, others closer to 5 years. All depends on the needs of the RR, how many engineer slots are open, and how many conductors are ahead of you in line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak's website lists Passenger Engineer Trainee as a position they hire for. While it does say Class I experience preferred, it does not say it is required.

Perhaps in practice, it is required, but on paper it is not, as far as I can tell.

Shortline gave a great explanation, from what I know from semi-personal experience. I have a family member who started in freight and then made the change to Amtrak. Starting in freight gives you great experience and when you move to amtrak, if you are good at what you do, you have the chance to stand out and show your new bosses what a good job you can do. A lot depends on where the openings are, as well as if you are willing to move to take the job. If you're holding out for a specific region or train, you might be in for quite a wait. I can tell you that if you're willing to work, you can make good money and gain great experience working in freight. The hours can be very long, though.

Amtrak's website lists Passenger Engineer Trainee as a position they hire for. While it does say Class I experience preferred, it does not say it is required.

Perhaps in practice, it is required, but on paper it is not, as far as I can tell.
In practice it is not, infact, required.

I guess you might want to try starting out on a freight railroad. IMO, experience actually helps. I think that freights are a lot more unpredictable and that you would have to start off on call and would need to run a train at odd hours. Once you get to Amtrak, things should get better.

Are Amtrak engineers on call?

I guess you might want to try starting out on a freight railroad. IMO, experience actually helps. I think that freights are a lot more unpredictable and that you would have to start off on call and would need to run a train at odd hours. Once you get to Amtrak, things should get better.

Yes. How else do you think they get a crew out to replace a crew that goes dead on the law?

It is a position they hire for, however, unless you have class 1 experience, 99% of engineer jobs are filled from within.

Yes. How else do you think they get a crew out to replace a crew that goes dead on the law?
What does "dead on the law" mean?

"dead on the law" means that train operating persons are not allowed to operate a train for more than 12 hours. Over 12 hours they turn into pumpkins or turnips like in the Cinderella fairytale from the Grimm brothers.

If some delay (failure of road, engine, accident, whatever) causes the train to miss its scheduled point for a new crew and that puts the crew over 12 hours, the train must be stopped (even if obstructing the main track) and wait for a relief crew.

One of the hundreds of rules all railroad engineers and conductors must know and obey.

Last edited by a moderator:

"dead on the law" means that train operating persons are not allowed to operate a train for more than 12 hours. Over 12 hours they turn into pumpkins or turnips like in the Cinderella fairytale from the Grimm brothers.

If some delay (failure of road, engine, accident, whatever) causes the train to miss its scheduled point for a new crew and that puts the crew over 12 hours, the train must be stopped (even if obstructing the main track) and wait for a relief crew.

One of the hundreds of rules all railroad engineers and conductors must know and obey.
I knew that they have a time limit for operations but you got some interesting info there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back