Amtrak Engine on Fire in WASUS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Per a post in trainorders, WAS EMS Tweet is reporting an Amtrak Engine on Fire in Union Station, EMS/HAZ Mat Enroute, no farther details @ this time?? :eek: :help: :help: :help:

Last edited by a moderator:
http://wusa9.com/news/article/158500/44/Amtrak-Train-Fire-Reported-At-Union-Station

WASHINGTON (WUSA) -- The DC Fire Department and AMTRK officials are at the scene of a locomotive engine on fire at Union Station.

DC Fire officials say crews did not see any fire but smoke was visible. They also say the tracks are energized.

A Twin-Agent extinguishing unit were requested to help with Foam Units, say DC Fire officials.

The locomotive was repositioned near the H Street Bridge so that fire fighters could douse the fire.

The Mass Ave entrance to Union Station remains open.

There are no injuries and no reports of any casualties. <BR itxtNodeId="234">

The unit in question is AEM-7 #933. Pulled me southbound on the Silver Star this afternoon.

The unit in question is AEM-7 #933. Pulled me southbound on the Silver Star this afternoon.
Amtrak is just not having a good couple of months here with the accidents, equipment problems, long service disruptions on the western routes and fighting off an existential threat from the House Republicans / Tea partiers.

This is the second Toaster they've lost this year. At least it wasn't one of the rebuilt ones. The new Sprinters can't get here soon enough!

Why do these units seem to be so prone to fire?
Just a guess. Is there age. It seems that all of them are the DC toasters that catch fire. The AEM7 that caught fire earlier in the year was IIRC 911. Which was a DC AEM7. But I agree with Ryan's statement that it's not a total loss. It may take time to fix but I'll guess she'll be on the road with in 2 years or less. Smoke damage is some of the worst to get ride of. That's why 2 years or less.

I can't see it returning to service ever if new engines deliver anywhere close to two years from now...
The Amtrak press release from last fall announcing the order of the ACS-64's said the first unit was scheduled to be delivered in February 2013. But the first several units will have to undergo extensive testing, be used for operational and maintenance training and qualification trials. If Siemens makes the February delivery date, the first ACS-64s probably won't go into revenue service until fall of 2013. This is my guess only, I have no inside info of any kind.

Amtrak will be weighing the cost of and time to repair against the minimum number of electric locomotives needed to keep the trains running and how long the AEM-7 will be in service from now on for any damaged locos. Same presumably goes for the heritage cars with the Viewliners IIs on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back