Amtrak Dorm Lounges in phase IVB

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Kid

Service Attendant
Hello everyone,

I've noticed several phase IVB dorm lounges kicking around, what numbers are they, and are they just repainted or completely remanufactured.

Thanks

Corey

That's Ok Rail Rookie, it is in Amtrak's,new Paint which is IVb on the Passenger Cars, the car is used on Eastern Overnight Trains. To Answer Your Question Amtrak Kid Yes I do but not a very good one of the car, I took it out of a Train coming into Chicago.

And to further clarify, they are talking about the old single level cars that Amtrak uses on it's Eastern routes. These cars are used only for the crew members to sleep and relax in, passengers never see the inside of them, unless they happen to befriend a crew member.

You won't see these cars on any train that uses Superliner equipment, mainly the trains west of the Mississippi, along with the Capitol Limited and the AutoTrain.

These dorm lounge cars are Budd built 10 roomette, 6DBR cars with the bedrooms removed. Orginally they were to be used for smoking area for passengers but Amtrak went non smoking and the crews pitched a fit about passengers in their car so this nice open area goes unused.

Why not put a secure door into the crew roomette area then use the space for a lounge for first class passengers with one of the sleeper attendents available to serve light refreshments at certain times. This would be an expecially nice feature if the Amtrak replaces the current heritage diners with a make shift dining area in the current am-lounge car.

Amtrak Kid said:
Hello everyone,
I've noticed several phase IVB dorm lounges kicking around, what numbers are they, and are they just repainted or completely remanufactured.

Thanks

Corey
are these dorm lounges you mention Amfleet I or II railcars? i'm guessing that's the type of car you mean, as i thought most of those already had been repainted into the Phase IVB paint scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back