Amtrak chairman: Savior or undertaker?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak chairman: Savior or undertaker?

WASHINGTON -- As chairman of the Texas Transportation Commission under then-Gov. George W. Bush in the late 1990s, David Laney was credited with significantly increasing highway funding and boosting development of toll roads, according to this news analysis by Robert Cohen published by the Star-Ledger.

Along the way, friends say, he developed a thick skin, absorbing criticism from those who didn't get the millions of dollars in highway and bridge money they wanted and from those who opposed his construction plans.

Now as chairman of the board of Amtrak, Laney has come under a withering attack from members of Congress who accuse him of leading a Bush administration effort to dismantle the national passenger railroad and turn it over to private interests.

Laney insists he's not out to ruin Amtrak, but to save it: "We want to fix Amtrak's problems, and make it better."

But after the board of directors moved secretly to separate the valuable Northeast Corridor from the rest of the rail system, then fired popular Amtrak President David Gunn, angry lawmakers called Laney to a congressional hearing and told him to his face that they don't trust him.

Some drew comparisons to Michael Brown, the former director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency who was fired after FEMA's botched response to Hurricane Katrina.

"Amtrak is now being run by a board made up of members who have virtually no experience in passenger rail," Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) said during the contentious hearing. "In short, Mr. Gunn was fired because he would not agree with FEMA-tizing Amtrak."

My Webpage

I listened to about the first half hour of the hearing and it was REALLY NICE to hear the representatives and senators who are obviously intent on not just keeping Amtrak going but funding it enough to improve it. And except for Rep. Mica, who keeps doing his incredibly lifelike impression of the south end of a northbound horse, they are a remarkably congenial, bipartisan group.

AmtrakWPK said:
And except for Rep. Mica, who keeps doing his incredibly lifelike impression of the south end of a northbound horse,  they are a remarkably congenial, bipartisan group.
Very well said.

I watched the entire hearing of the house railroad sub-committee several times, thanks to C-Span and Real-Player.

You voters that reside in Florida need to get rid of Mica ASAP.

Allen Dee said:
You voters that reside in Florida need to get rid of Mica  ASAP.
If we ran free and fair elections we could. Even though last time he ran unopposed, zero elected officials were voted out of office in the last election. Thanks to the practice of redrawing district lines that make zero sense, and a GOP going into court(using tax money for their lawsuit) that a 3rd party cannot redraw it back to create some normalcy.

But he did get that CRC DMU for Miami and a project for Orlando going, even the Amtrak chairman under Gov GW Bush didn't even do that. Other than that I honestly never trusted the guy you all are questioning.

I don't know what his deal his, but you may want to read these two pages:

SPINOFF

All his rail projects

I'm not really sure where he's coming from. I think it may be another case of being sold to the highest bidder possibly.

Jeff W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back