All aboard: Return of passenger rail headlines annual Boise Metro Chamber conference

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TC_NYC

Service Attendant
Sounds very promising

All aboard: Return of passenger rail headlines annual Boise Metro Chamber conference

The tone of optimism about the possibility of southern Idaho once again landing on the map for Amtrak service to Salt Lake City thrummed through multiple sessions on the first day of the conference. But, despite Idaho taking early steps to apply for grants through the federal government’s bipartisan infrastructure bill, it’s anticipated that it would still take 10-15 years before the first trains could roll through Boise and head down to Utah.

And that’s if everything goes according to plan.

This all comes as the bipartisan infrastructure bill injected more than $60 billion into passenger rail nationwide, an investment bigger than Amtrak has gotten in its half a century of operation. The funds have restored previously shuttered service, upgraded stations (including in Sandpoint), added new trains, and hired thousands of staff members.

Well, wait until Idaho reads the fine print. This is Amtrak's current "pusher" model of initiating state supported services. Get them grants to initiate service to give them a "taste" but to keep it past the first few years the state or local governments will have to pay the full costs. I note that the article prominently features Amtrak representatives talking about getting grants to the state and makes no mention at all of including the service as a National Network train whose operation would be covered by the Amtrak subsidy. Salt Lake to Portland would qualify, being over 750 miles.

Once Idaho elected officials realize that the state would become responsible for subsidizing ongoing service, my opinion is their enthusiasm would cool.

In short, wouldn't get terribly excited about it.

Well, wait until Idaho reads the fine print. This is Amtrak's current "pusher" model of initiating state supported services. Get them grants to initiate service to give them a "taste" but to keep it past the first few years the state or local governments will have to pay the full costs. I note that the article prominently features Amtrak representatives talking about getting grants to the state and makes no mention at all of including the service as a National Network train whose operation would be covered by the Amtrak subsidy. Salt Lake to Portland would qualify, being over 750 miles.

Once Idaho elected officials realize that the state would become responsible for subsidizing ongoing service, my opinion is their enthusiasm would cool.

In short, wouldn't get terribly excited about it.
I agree that a national network train, sooner or later, is a likelier fit. The funding scheme on any of the regional proposals really only works for routes strong enough that they could be run under the current formula. In an article that I wrote for the ColoRail newsletter I referred to the interest in BOI<>SLC daylight service as a part of one of the alternatives for the former Pioneer route.

https://colorail.org/restored-service-to-pacific-northwest/

It looks like Boise folks are in for a long wait:

https://is.gd/rbjh1f
"The successful applications were for the corridors that FRA viewed as most prepared for advancement in their planning work,” Buttigieg said. “I think it’s also fair to say that even as these projects advance, it’s not going to be 100% of the answer of a future rail network. What we do have is elements that are going to make for a dramatically improved rail network compared to the one we have today.”

A not unexpected reply.

I agree that a national network train, sooner or later, is a likelier fit. The funding scheme on any of the regional proposals really only works for routes strong enough that they could be run under the current formula. In an article that I wrote for the ColoRail newsletter I referred to the interest in BOI<>SLC daylight service as a part of one of the alternatives for the former Pioneer route.

https://colorail.org/restored-service-to-pacific-northwest/
  • Rescheduling California Zephyr to pre-Amtrak pattern(later eastbound and earlier westbound), adding the Denver Zephyr (DEN<>CHI) and combining Pioneer with California Zephyr at SLC. This suggestion evolved recently, and it is how the three rail companies before Amtrak solved the problem of marginal times at Salt Lake City. For example, the former Denver Zephyr left Chicago at 4:45 p.m. and left Denver bound for Chicago at 4:00 p.m. The revised California Zephyr would depart Chicago at 1:00 p.m. and depart Denver for Chicago at 11:00 p.m. This provides additional time for servicing in California, and better connections on the West Coast. In this concept, the Pioneer could either operate with through cars via Salt Lake City or as a connecting train at Ogden, the “Crossroads of the West.” Connections at Chicago for points west of Denver would be few, so this requires analysis.
I don’t understand the bold part. Are we really worried about connecting to the west or is it connection to the East.

Current eastbound CZ is 7:10pm (Denver) to 2:50pm (Chicago)

The story’s prospective trains are:
Denver Zephyr is 4:00pm (Denver) to 11:40am (Chicago)
Revised CZ is 11:00pm (Denver) to 6:40pm (Chicago)

The big eastern trains are 6:40pm and 9:30pm. Never mind all those feeder (regional) trains. I can see the revised CZ is going to be an issue with connecting trains, even when it will be good for Salt Lake City, and the revised Pioneer. Going to be a trade off, if we can get later regional service that would help of course.

I don’t understand the bold part. Are we really worried about connecting to the west or is it connection to the East.

Current eastbound CZ is 7:10pm (Denver) to 2:50pm (Chicago)

The story’s prospective trains are:
Denver Zephyr is 4:00pm (Denver) to 11:40am (Chicago)
Revised CZ is 11:00pm (Denver) to 6:40pm (Chicago)

The big eastern trains are 6:40pm and 9:30pm. Never mind all those feeder (regional) trains. I can see the revised CZ is going to be an issue with connecting trains, even when it will be good for Salt Lake City, and the revised Pioneer. Going to be a trade off, if we can get later regional service that would help of course.
That alternative would work better if the Three Rivers was still running.

Back