Acela Trip on New Years

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few questions about crowding and upgrade coupons.

1. Do you think I would encounter full trains in either direction? I know the schedules are reduced on new years day.

2. I have a 48 upgrade coupon, do you think I have reasonable odds of getting a seat in FC?

3. I have a 1 hour upgrade coupon, do you think I could get that lucky?

4. Does using a NARP discount affect your ability to use an upgrade coupon?

I am currently looking at using train 2251 leaving New York around noon, and returning aboard 2297 leaving around 5:30?

I know it might sound crazy, but I want to get working on Select ASAP :lol:

Thanks guys!

I can't really answer Q 1, 2 or 3, but I'll take a stab at Q 4. I don't really know the answer, but I have been told that the only discounts that can be used with the coupon are senior and handicapped. For a low bucket discount of $9.30, I would say that I'll forgo that saving for a ride in First and 250 extra AGR points! :cool:

I can't really answer Q 1, 2 or 3, but I'll take a stab at Q 4. I don't really know the answer, but I have been told that the only discounts that can be used with the coupon are senior and handicapped. For a low bucket discount of $9.30, I would say that I'll forgo that saving for a ride in First and 250 extra AGR points! :cool:
Agreed I was just wondering since the one is up to the 124 bucket. Doable, but it would be cool to keep the cost under $200.

Agreed I was just wondering since the one is up to the 124 bucket. Doable, but it would be cool to keep the cost under $200.
I do not have the answers either but it stirs up a great memory. Standing in Times Square seeing 1984 roll in. It was neat to see the giant Christmas tree, also. Took the Crescent up and back from ATL, just stayed there New Years.

It was full.

At that all the long distance trains did NOT "discharge only" north of WAS. Instead people could and did board the long distance trains north of WAS and I remember once we got to Jersey it was jam packed largely with already-screamng teenagers.

That 'discharge only northbound' thing is something that has kicked back and forth through the years during Amtrak as well as beforeand not always the same for every train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back