A quick KIN-NHV trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_traveler

Engineer
In the afternoon of 5/10, I took my second short turnaround. This time, it was KIN-NHV-KIN.

A few hours after returning home from my morning trip to/from BOS, I returned to the KIN station to begin my second R/T of the day. This time, it was aboard #165 from KIN to NHV. #165 arrived on track 1 for an on time departure at 4:11 PM. It included an HHP, a BC car (which may have been a regular coach), 6 coaches and a food service car in the middle of the train. Like my 2 morning trips, these coaches were again refurbished Amfleet I's (with power at each pair of seats)! :)

We departed and within 15 minutes we were in Southern CT - and crossing the only 9 (if I counted correctly) grade crossings on the entire NEC. A few minutes later, we were following the shoreline of the Long Island Sound (sometimes within feet). You follow the shoreline (or at least within sight of the LI Sound) until just before you reach OSB. Surprisingly, this portion of the NEC is (IMHO) one of the scenic portions on Amtrak!

Our arrival into NHV was on time at 5:39 PM.

I expected about a 1 hour layover. However, when I walked into Union Station, I got a surprise! The board said that #194 (my departure at 6:35 PM) was 1 hour 15 minutes late! (Of the 4 trains that I took that day, this was the only one late! :( )

When it finally arrived, it was 1 hour 10 minutes late. It also consisted of an HHP, a BC car, 6 coaches and fod service car in the middle of the train. Like all the previous coaches, this was also a refurbished Amfleet I (with power at each pair of seats). The trip back was in the dark, so I can't describe the outside views.

Our arrival back to KIN was scheduled for 7:59 PM. However, due to the delayed start, we did not arrive until 9:06 PM. Like a true LD addict, I was :angry: that we didn't lose more time! :lol:

So my NTD trips netted me 2 pairs of R/T tickets at 2:1, 4 trains and (most importantly) 800 AGR points (due to double points)! :lol:

I remember 162 being delayed when I got to New York Penn, where they had a huge set up for Train Day. It must have been embarrassing for them.

I was in NYP. My NJTransit train leaving at 11:07 to Long Branch was delayed ~10 minutes due to the Amtrak 10:00 Northeast Regional train to Boston boarding at 11:00!

See my trip report soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back