A phantom train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently it’s an equipment move. As Acela150 said it will become a revenue train when the new schedules start on Jan 7th.

Train 198/07 scheduled WASH 21:51 left WASH 21:40. Scheduled non stop to NYP 00:50. Tracking shows no passengers. Any ideas anyone?
Tonight scheduled for 2:59 estimated enroute 2:45. Would have done better but took at least an 7 minute stop at Sawtooth bridge. Rest of trip showed no stops even at stations.

Last edited:
Tonight scheduled for 2:59 estimated enroute 2:45. Would have done better but took at least an 7 minute stop at Sawtooth bridge. Rest of trip showed no stops even at stations.
Being an equipment move, it can be sent out whenever there’s an open slot.
And equipment moves, which happen a lot but don’t show on the tracker (because they don’t usually use “revenue” train numbers) don’t stop at stations.

Being an equipment move, it can be sent out whenever there’s an open slot.
And equipment moves, which happen a lot but don’t show on the tracker (because they don’t usually use “revenue” train numbers) don’t stop at stations.
IIRC, some equipment moves are shown on certain schedules, specifically referring to the LIRR, which I believe shows moves between Penn Station and their West Side Yard, at least on their operating timetable "for the governance of employees only". There may be other examples, around the country...

IIRC, some equipment moves are shown on certain schedules, specifically referring to the LIRR, which I believe shows moves between Penn Station and their West Side Yard, at least on their operating timetable "for the governance of employees only". There may be other examples, around the country...
I believe the tracker only picks up certain data from Amtrak's file. Yesterday there was a special move of which I had been given the # for. I could look it up on Amtrak's status page. I was able to see when it was scheduled to leave WAS. They don't always update the status, though, so I could not find out if it had left on time. Of course it only shows the departure station and the destination station, so I have to guesstimate when it will come by me.

Back