Coach fares for 6/30 eastbound LD trains not available?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know why you can't see coach prices on any eastbound coast - NYP trips departing on 6/30? Since 6 this morning ALL trains - SWC,TE, CZ and EB are saying "none left" for coach fares on 6/30. Is this just a glitsch?

The problem is that the Empire Builder (the train I checked) seems to be pretty well fully booked from late June through early July, hence there's no Saver or Value fares offered! Even for adult passengers! Coach tickets CHI-WAS during that time are $409, far higher than the other days I checked (6/15-7/15). I'll guess that there must be some tour groups that have booked the trains for those dates. Apparently, it seems that once some high percentage of tickets gets sold, they stop offering senior/RPA and other discounts. Why should they? It would seem that they're out to fill every seat at the highest prices the public is willing to pay.

If you can possibly change your travel dates a week or so in either direction, it looks like you'll save a bundle. Check out Amsnag http://biketrain.x10.mx/amsnag2.0/amSnag.php and experiment with 30 days at a time on each train NYP-CHI and CHI-SEA, for example, and find the best fares.

The problem is that the Empire Builder (the train I checked) seems to be pretty well fully booked from late June through early July, hence there's no Saver or Value fares offered! Even for adult passengers! Coach tickets CHI-WAS during that time are $409, far higher than the other days I checked (6/15-7/15). I'll guess that there must be some tour groups that have booked the trains for those dates. Apparently, it seems that once some high percentage of tickets gets sold, they stop offering senior/RPA and other discounts. Why should they? It would seem that they're out to fill every seat at the highest prices the public is willing to pay.

If you can possibly change your travel dates a week or so in either direction, it looks like you'll save a bundle. Check out Amsnag http://biketrain.x10.mx/amsnag2.0/amSnag.php and experiment with 30 days at a time on each train NYP-CHI and CHI-SEA, for example, and find the best fares.
Thanks again. But dates are fixed. We'll be going back to NYP on 6/30. From SF(EMY).I checked the other cities just for curiosity and found it astounding that none had coach fares with senior and NARP travelers.

Thanks again. But dates are fixed. We'll be going back to NYP on 6/30. From SF(EMY).I checked the other cities just for curiosity and found it astounding that none had coach fares with senior and NARP travelers.

I've I recall correctly, the discounts are applied to the Value fare prices. Since they appear to be quite sold out and the value fares 'gone', there's no way to offer a discount. Also, it's marketing 101...supply and demand. As the supply dwindles, the prices go up.

I've I recall correctly, the discounts are applied to the Value fare prices. Since they appear to be quite sold out and the value fares 'gone', there's no way to offer a discount. Also, it's marketing 101...supply and demand. As the supply dwindles, the prices go up.
But the problem is that when Amtrak says "none left" most folks assume it's sold out. It doesn't say none left at senior rate, just none left. And so they move on to other transportation options.

Back