Superliner Refresh?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBoy

Train Attendant
Just wondering if anyone has any word on the superliners getting the refresh interior the same way as the amfleet l/ll's.

Are the Viewliner Is scheduled to get some TLC? They seem to be a bit long in the tooth too of late.

I read somewhere that once the V IIs are coming online, they'll be modifying the V Is to match the V IIs to eliminate the inconsistencies between the two types. In particular, no more in-room toilets and roomette #12 will be replaced by 2 toilets. That's certainly more than a 'refresh'. It's more like a major shop overhaul.

Maybe what I read was someones' blue sky idea of what should be done. I don't recall specifically. But it makes sense if they plan to mix V IIs with V Is as the V IIs only have 11 roomettes. They can't substitute a V II if roomette #12 had been sold. On the other hand, simply blanking out #12 on all V Is would accomplish the same result, but remove two paying beds. But then, #12 us often occupied by the cafe or diner staff. Putting the bag/dorms to use with V II sleeper will handle the OBS accomodations.

I read somewhere that once the V IIs are coming online, they'll be modifying the V Is to match the V IIs to eliminate the inconsistencies between the two types. In particular, no more in-room toilets and roomette #12 will be replaced by 2 toilets. That's certainly more than a 'refresh'. It's more like a major shop overhaul.

Maybe what I read was someones' blue sky idea of what should be done. I don't recall specifically. But it makes sense if they plan to mix V IIs with V Is as the V IIs only have 11 roomettes. They can't substitute a V II if roomette #12 had been sold. On the other hand, simply blanking out #12 on all V Is would accomplish the same result, but remove two paying beds. But then, #12 us often occupied by the cafe or diner staff. Putting the bag/dorms to use with V II sleeper will handle the OBS accomodations.

As I recall, the viewliner rooms are modules, so they’ll take out the modules in the current V I’s and replace them with new V II modules (that’s my guess).

Are the Viewliner Is scheduled to get some TLC? They seem to be a bit long in the tooth too of late.

They were supposed to when the new Viewliners came online. That continues to drag on though. The best we can do is liven things up when they go through overhaul.

They are trying to free up some views by forcing the old tried and true 98 for 97 turn by pushing back 97's departure time out of NY.

That should give them some breathing room as well...if it goes through...which I hope it doesn't. They think of this every few years or so.

They were supposed to when the new Viewliners came online. That continues to drag on though. The best we can do is liven things up when they go through overhaul.
Has the full court redo of the VL-Is been budgeted for yet? I suppose they will need to order those 50 or so restroom modules too. Are they actually planning to scrap the Roomette modules and replace them with new ones? Or merely removing the commode from the existing modules and otherwise refurbish and reuse them?
They are trying to free up some views by forcing the old tried and true 98 for 97 turn by pushing back 97's departure time out of NY.
Would this be then for the full court module revamp/replace or just a Superliner I style cosmetic spiffying up. I guess that will be an indication of how much willingness is there in investing on Eastern LD trains.
That should give them some breathing room as well...if it goes through...which I hope it doesn't. They think of this every few years or so.
To avoid the evening rush hour they would probably have to move it at least 3 hours. They may be able to get away with a one hour move for 97, and maybe a half hour earlier arrival of 98 to give them a window the same size they had in the 1980s, still keeping Washington DC arrival after 6:30am.

Back