Privatisation of Indian Railways.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
To be honest, I am not that surprised. With the large amounts of public money currently being spent on upgrading the lines, there are rich pickings to be had for some wealthy folk. I assume the more profitable upmarket trains will be sold off, together with the stations that sit on large plots of valuable building land?

How this will raise the standards for the remaining trains, I do wonder...

A shame to see such an amazing rail network broken up.

https://www.deccanherald.com/nation...atisation-of-150-train-operations-767341.html

So far it is all leased when government property is used. Nothing is being sold.

Private operators will at some point be allowed to bring in their own rolling stock, but it is not clear that even Modi will be able to get AIRF to agree with private operators hiring their own T&E staff that are not AIRF members. That has not really been mentioned seriously by anyone yet.

IR will probably make a pile of money collecting premium trackage and lease charges while shedding all the risk.

I don’t think any big station will be sold to anyone. Space lease and operating licenses is all that will happen. Much more than is already the case now.

Back