Empire Builder Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

I'll be taking my first train trip this August (still don't have an exact date, but will be around the 3rd week) from Chicago to Portland and then back to Chicago on the Empire Builder. My question is regarding seating and accomodations. I'll be having knee surgery about a week before my trip so I will need to have my leg stretched out, I have heard that the best place for me to sit would be in the first row of the lower level coach because there is a decent open space in front of it, I won't have to climb the stairs and there are far less people down there that could bump into my leg. I'm not all that worried about having a great view or dealing with track noise and coach is the only thing in my price range. Also it's my understanding that there is an accessible restroom on the lower level, which would make things a lot easier. Just wondering if anyone can attest to these things I've heard. Also, any tips and advice for my experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kyle

Hello everyone!
I'll be taking my first train trip this August (still don't have an exact date, but will be around the 3rd week) from Chicago to Portland and then back to Chicago on the Empire Builder. My question is regarding seating and accomodations. I'll be having knee surgery about a week before my trip so I will need to have my leg stretched out, I have heard that the best place for me to sit would be in the first row of the lower level coach because there is a decent open space in front of it, I won't have to climb the stairs and there are far less people down there that could bump into my leg. I'm not all that worried about having a great view or dealing with track noise and coach is the only thing in my price range. Also it's my understanding that there is an accessible restroom on the lower level, which would make things a lot easier. Just wondering if anyone can attest to these things I've heard. Also, any tips and advice for my experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kyle
Yes, you will definitely want to reserve a lower level seat. If you purchase your tickets online you can reserve a lower level seat by clicking the "view upgrade options" and then selecting "lower level seating" when making your reservations. The lower level seating area has, I believe 16 total seats. All of the restrooms, including the"accessible" restroom are located on the lower level. The seating area is separated from the restrooms/stairwell by a door. It is actually pretty quiet down there. If you want meals from the dining car and cannot climb the stairs, the attendant will bring them down to you. Just let him/her know ahead of time. If you need something from the lounge car there is usually another passenger in the lower level that would be more than willing to go and get you something.

Yes, the first seat on the lower level has room to stretch your leg. However, in the event a couple of wheelchair passengers board, you'll lose some of that room. Also, occasionally a wheel chair passenger who is able to sit in a regular chair will need your chair because it's easier to swing into from the wheel chair than the seats are.

Another thing to consider with that first seat is that it doesn't have the foot rest in front of it for you to elevate your feet. You can still elevate your leg, but your lower legs and feet will be dangling.

There is an accessible washroom on the lower lever.

As far as tips and advice, having ridden most of the past several years on the lower level due to handicaps, while I know they probably do their best to keep everything clean, I would suggest you take along a sheet or something from home to cover the seat with. You never know who had that seat before you.

Usually the elderly and/or handicapped use the lower level and sometimes they are not able to take care of themselves very well.

Oh, another little thing I learned. Sometimes the train attendant will leave the door to the lower level seating section open. There's a little lever on the right side by the top of the door that you can pull to close the door. It helps to keep the noise out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back