Breakfast serving time on East Bound Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walk to the diner at 6:29AM and if you can eat in 30 minutes you'll have enough time for breakfast.
Eating won't be the issue. The issue will be whether the dining car staff will take your order

and prepare your food in enough time to eat before Whitefish. Theoretically if you're among

the first ones there, it shouldn't be an issue. But getting through the diner in a hurry is never

an issue of how fast one can eat...it's an issue of how fast one can actually get the food in

front of you.

Boarding at Essex: we are due to leave Essex, MT at 855 a.m. Eastbound.
Does anyone know how LATE the diner will serve? Just curious as to whether we are likely to get breakfast if number 8 is on time. :wub:
Usually 9 AM. It's unlikely that you'll be able to get breakfast, since the EB's OTP lately has been...not good.
Actually it's 930am.

Breakfast is served from 630-930

Lunch 11-2

Dinner 5-9

Umm, yeah, the salmon in the EB diner is indeed the Amtrak standard fare: Atlantic salmon, says so right on the menu. But the box dinner served on the Portland leg (#28) comes from a local restaurant, I understand. Does anyone know where it comes from, and what kind of salmon it is?
Can't say for sure, but if a local Portland restaurant/caterer is doing it, I bet it is very likely some species of wild Pacific salmon. May not be King salmon, but some Pacific salmon.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I know is that when we were planning our 2011 trip on the EB I was a little disappointed that we would be leaving from Portland and not be able to go to the Diner. And even though everyone said how good it was, I was also somewhat skeptical. All I can say is that it was the best salmon I have ever had anywhere, and though cold and served in a box, one of the best meals I have had on a train, and better than in many restaurants.

We will soon have the "opposite" problem. We will be getting on #8 at Whitefish. When is breakfast over with? Obviously if the train is running late, we'll need to eat beforehand, but we're wondering how late the train will need to be before we're forced to do that.

jb

In response to the original question, my recommendation would be to skip breakfast in the dining car if detraining in Whitefish from No. 8 and go directly to the Buffalo Café, 513 3rd Ave. in Whitefish. It is THE place for breakfast in Whitefish and its' reputation is well deserved. (Unfortunately since they don't open until 7 a.m., you probably wouldn't have time to eat there if you are boarding No. 8 in Whitefish.)

https://buffalocafewhitefish.com/

Back