Class 800/1 Azumas cleared for LNER Operation in UK

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
https://www.railwaygazette.com/news/news/uk/single-view/view/lner-azuma-class-800-authorised-for-passenger-service.html

Class 800/1 Azuma electro-diesel dual modes from Hitachi have now been certified for passenger operation at 200kph by LNER on the ECML, 5, 9 and 10 car consists. The holdup so far was electronic interference with signal and control systems, which have now been resolved. So now the days of Mark IV push-pulls are slowly drawing to a close on ECML.

They will be able to operate through service from London Kings Cross to Aberdeen or Inverness, running electric from London to Edinburgh/Stirling and then transitioning ovr and running in diesel mode in upper Scotland to their destination. I have ridden a couple of their sister units on GWR on my trip to Swansea. Back when I rode them the transition was around Swindon, and I could not tell when the actual change occurred, it was so smooth. As of the beginning of this year, the changeover has moved to Bristol Parkway.

This sort of set could be ideal for the NEC with its diesel extensions in various directions. But we can almost bet this won't happen because of the American fixation with locomotive pulled collection of single cars thing.

Back