Scotland to London, Caladonian sleeper video!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
Hi Folks,

Browsing YouTube I came across this recent video, which might be of interest to my Amtrak chums?

It seems it was recorded in summer 2018, but only recently posted. I gather the equipment in the video may have now been replaced by more modern train equipment.

Although this departs from Fort William, I have taken the sleeper service myself, some years ago, between London and Edinburgh, at a special promotional fare of just £15 each way!

https://youtu.be/GxdaXlHHIlc  

I love how, unlike a lot of, oh, shall we use JIS's phrasespression, 'dyed in the wool' train fanciers, he's looking forward to the new equipment....

He does like the way one can open windows, and be in closer contact with the passing scenery, but seems to present a balanced view of what "non train enthusiasts" might want!

I also like the older trains. While whizzing along in a high speed train has it's thrills, I much prefer to see and smell the scenery, rather than be have it as a blur viewed from a hermetically sealed train.

Each to their own!

Ed.

Not sure what that expression means? The rails looked pretty normal to me, except maybe old fashioned by using wooden sleepers, etc...?

Ed.
Commonly used rail these days is flat footed rail, an American invention(R. L. Stevens, 1830, or Camden and Amboy fame, though popularly known as Vignoles Rail named after Charles Vignoles, the first railroad builder to propose to use it in Britain.), which is tied down to the Sleeper using spikes and a tie plate. The Brits laid all of their original tracks using bull headed rails where the running head is a little bigger than the head that sits on the sleepers, and even the bottom head is rounded. This requires that there be a more elaborate "chair" on each sleeper to hold this rail vertical, and makes the track much more expensive to build and maintain. There are still some remaining stretches of trackage using this kind of rail sitting on chars (instead of tie-plates use for flat footed rail). Of course rest of the world and today including Britain have transitioned to using flat footed rail a long time back (Britain more recently). I was merely observing that some of the tracks we see on the Highland Line in the video still has bull headed rail, laid on cast iron chairs.

Cross section of Rail that have been used at various times:

name.jpg

This diagram is fair use excerpt from a Civil Engineering Blog which can be found here and naturally the copyright belongs to them:

https://www.civilnoteppt.com/2018/09/types-of-rails.html

Chair mount for Bull Headed  Bull Headed Rail (from a Slideshare, copyright by unnamed author with a handle jmagadhe):

railway-engineering-12-638.jpg

Here is the blurb on flat footed rail from the same slideshare:

railway-engineering-13-638.jpg

You can see the entire slide set here:

I think when I was in Fort William around 1990, the sleeper train also had auto carriers.
Yeah, he mentioned that - it was back in the days of BR running things.

The light in the beginning sections of the video reminds me of Scandinavia - I guess it's about that far north....

Happened across the video by chance and enjoyed it. Obviously others have too.

Back