NYC Club Acela closing for renovations?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeRids

Service Attendant
I saw this on the Trains news wire today, but it doesn't state when it will close. Anyone know when? I am feeling a bit guilty as I sold my father on splurging on Acela first class in 3 weeks, in part because he could use the Club Acelas on both ends. I just read the Boston club is closed for water damage. I would really feel bad if BOTH are closed. Couple that with a partial Downeaster bustitution (which is also affecting him), an it is to the point you can't even recommend Amtrak to anyone without serious disclaimers.

As long as it's after the Gathering I'm ok with that.
default_laugh.png

I'm scheduled to volunteer at a Coaching Education Seminar for USA Hockey hosted by the NY Rangers on Sunday. If time permits (and depending on which entrance we use and where I park) I'll go downstairs and ask the agent on duty if they have any info....

Ok, my sore sore feet said no, just go home, but I said I would so I did. Penn Station was very crowded this afternoon. Walked over to the CA, and spoke to the 2 women behind the desk. The said it is not a rumor, they were told plans are being finalized to close for an extended period of time for renovations. They said it could be a 6 month or more project, but they said they had no details on scope of work, any specific start date, or whether temporary space would be carved out. They were very polite and forthcoming, but apologized for not having more specifics....Never noticed the Pret and Zaros in the corner by the 7th Ave stairs and escalator, I usually come in the other side. Anytime I'm on 7th, I'm usually going up to MSG

Hopefully it will be open in a few weeks so the Gathering participants may be able to enjoy it.

It appears the lounge will be closed next weekend (Oct 26 & 27, 2019) and will reopen on Monday 10/29/19
Effective October 26 & 27, 2019

Amtrak is taking steps to modernize and refresh the customer waiting areas at New York - Penn Station. As a result, the ClubAcela Lounge will be closed on Saturday, October 26 and Sunday, October 27 for renovation. Temporary seating accommodations will be available in the Amtrak/NJ TRANSIT ticketed waiting room, located on the main concourse near Tracks 13 and 14 East.

The ClubAcela Lounge will reopen on Monday, October 28.

Not much can be done in a two day renovation for a club being shut down in 2021. Real club improvements that involve complete renovations take much longer as we have seen with other Amtrak Clubs and Airline Clubs. As to what specifically is being done, I have no idea. LIRR has been renovating their own concourses where construction is ongoing.

Back