Starlight: Business Class Eugene to Sacramento

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the Amtrak website Starlight page.

Coach passengers enjoy big, comfortable seats, plenty of legroom, along with Just-for-You Express Meal Service, where coach passengers can select from a limited daily menu featuring specially priced, freshly prepared lunch and dinner selections with the convenience of at-seat delivery.

Coach passengers enjoy big, comfortable seats, plenty of legroom, along with Just-for-You Express Meal Service, where coach passengers can select from a limited daily menu featuring specially priced, freshly prepared lunch and dinner selections with the convenience of at-seat delivery.
"Just for You"...

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/menus/routes/Coast-Starlight-Just-for-You-Menu-0615.pdf

"Just for You"...

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/menus/routes/Coast-Starlight-Just-for-You-Menu-0615.pdf
Thank you. I see choices are limited but dinner won't cost me an arm and a leg either.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:

"Just for You"...

When I was on the Sunset Ltd last month, they called that 'the early bird special'. They were available for purchase for the first 30-45 minutes of most meals, I guess to reduce the workload for the diner staff during peak seating times.

There is a "dinner-at-your-seat" on the Coast Starlight, but I am not sure it is offered to Business Class (maybe coach only?). There is one choice, and it is pretty basic offerings (such as Salisbury steak).

It is not possible for passengers to carry out food from the diner.
I would be shocked if they don't let business pax order. There's no reason for them to just refuse a sale, especially when the customer payed for a more expensive ticket.

"Just for You"...https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/menus/routes/Coast-Starlight-Just-for-You-Menu-0615.pdf
When I was on the Sunset Ltd last month, they called that 'the early bird special'. They were available for purchase for the first 30-45 minutes of most meals, I guess to reduce the workload for the diner staff during peak seating times.

There is a "dinner-at-your-seat" on the Coast Starlight, but I am not sure it is offered to Business Class (maybe coach only?). There is one choice, and it is pretty basic offerings (such as Salisbury steak).

I would be shocked if they don't let business pax order. There's no reason for them to just refuse a sale, especially when the customer payed for a more expensive ticket.
Ah, Amtrak isn't always logical like that.

"Just for You"...https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/menus/routes/Coast-Starlight-Just-for-You-Menu-0615.pdf

Ah, Amtrak isn't always logical like that.
I agree they're not always logical, but they're also not crazy. The point of Amtrak's "dinner-at-your-seat" is to give an affordable meal option to the people who don't have included meals, without added workload to the diner staff. So in my mind it would make absolutely no sense to turn down a sale from a 'premium' passenger.

If you board in Eugene it will be after 5PM. The car attendant will hand you each $6 vouchers for either the dining car or the cafe in the lower level of the SSL. If you want to eat at your seat, tell the car attendant when you board and he/she will get you a menu and will go get food from the dining car for you.

You should be done with your dinner by the time you get to Chemult. If you don't like the view from your seat, go to the SSL and you should be able to sit on either side.

My experience on the CS in Business Class was from SAC to KFS. We got to KFS about 20 minutes early and barely had tome to finish breakfast from the cafe. Our $12 got us each a breakfast sandwich, coffee and a small OJ.

Depending on the phase of the moon and the state of the weather, you might see Mt. Shasta in moonlight about 11PM

I might actually just eat in the Cafe. Amtrak burgers are pretty darn good and actually very moderately priced. You can easily pay more at a restaurant in town and that usually does not come with wonderful views an a relaxing ride.
default_wink.png

P.S. I might also opt for an on board sleeper upgrade if it isn't going to cost too much more and it is available. It sure would be nice arriving in Sacramento with a good night sleep. Now if I can only get them to park the train in Sacramento for a couple of hours while I sleep in.
default_wink.png

"Just for You"...

Thank you. I see choices are limited but dinner won't cost me an arm and a leg either.
default_wink.png
When I was on the Coast Starlight last December, it was very popular and completely sold out. Since I was in the sleeper, I did not partake but the LSA made announcements about it throughout the journey and even counted down the availability as we approached Santa Barbara. Quite honestly with the giant chocolate chip cookie and the bottled water, its not a bad deal.

Here is a picture of the meal from airliners.net

20180219_171653 by ian_m.03, on Flickr

Back