If Amtrak were to remove 1 onboard amenity from LD trains, which one?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt the original OP was advocating eliminating amenities. If the OP was doing so he/she might be thinking like me, trying to cut something that might not seem like a big deal in order to save something that is a big deal. Maybe he/she wants to save this amenity so he/she wants to try to eliminate the more useless ones. Or maybe saving money could allow the money to be used on other things like adding routes. Would you cut a certain amenity to bring back the Broadway for example?

Most AU members don't have any concept of a budget. They feel just ask Congress for money until the cows come home. How's that working for you? Maybe if Amtrak is more frugal with its money we can afford the more important stuff (cough... Broadway) instead of wasting money on stuff "we don't need".

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt the original OP was advocating eliminating amenities. If the OP was doing so he/she might be thinking like me, trying to cut something that might not seem like a big deal in order to save something that is a big deal. Maybe he/she wants to save this amenity so he/she wants to try to eliminate the more useless ones. Or maybe saving money could allow the money to be used on other things like adding routes. Would you cut a certain amenity to bring back the Broadway for example?

Most AU members don't have any concept of a budget. They feel just ask Congress for money until the cows come home. How's that working for you? Maybe if Amtrak is more frugal with its money we can afford the more important stuff (cough... Broadway) instead of wasting money on stuff "we don't need".
More frugal? Are you serious? Amtrak has been on a starvation budget since sometime around May 1, 1971; It's hard to be more frugal than starving. That's not to say there aren't excesses; The railroad is perennially top heavy with management, and merely being a political animal tends to drive up costs and complexity (but 'public transportation' exists for valid reasons). Nevertheless, Amtrak has long been forced into frugality. There is little to no fat (or even 'meat') to cut; The network and frequencies are already skeletal - and yet you propose cutting some vital bones (and still expect the skeleton to remain standing)?

How is asking Congress for more money "until the cows come home" working out? Nobody knows - it's never been done. Even passenger rail advocates timidly suggest that Amtrak be another Lazarus, and just be fed with the scraps which fall from the rich man's (Congress') table. Even politicians who ostensibly support Amtrak argue against asking for too much money (though some are likely showing their true colors with such an unworkable approach).

Being frugal is generally a positive strategy, but again, there are limits. Amtrak would actually benefit from some 'excesses', like checked baggage, reasonable price & quality of food service, and expected perks to premium service (sleeper or business) travel. But all of those are things which Amtrak has instead cut in the name of saving pennies (while dollars fly over their heads...).

Relax, my SCA comment was tongue in cheek. Of course they need them, it would be pandemonium on board without them. I know, I've seen it. (I assume there was an SCA somewhere on the train, but damn sure wasn't in the car....)

And as to the coffee and juice-Do they still do juice? My last trip didn't have any, and didn't have any in either sleeper coming up to DC from Birmingham last night. I guess I'll see what they have on the Capitol, and Southwest Chief over the next few days.

Relax, my SCA comment was tongue in cheek. Of course they need them, it would be pandemonium on board without them. I know, I've seen it. (I assume there was an SCA somewhere on the train, but damn sure wasn't in the car....)

And as to the coffee and juice-Do they still do juice? My last trip didn't have any, and didn't have any in either sleeper coming up to DC from Birmingham last night. I guess I'll see what they have on the Capitol, and Southwest Chief over the next few days.
Theyve never had juice. They had this orangish flavorish liquid barely adeqiate for a fourthrate bottom shelf screwdriver.

I don't think there are any working personal temperature controls. 99% sure those thermostats in the Viewliners are just for looks.
Viewliner thermostats work, I can testify to that. I like 'em a lot and I've used 'em a lot (I like my room hot).

Superliner thermostats don't work; never had one work. I suppose they're all broken, or just a poorer design.

As for "removing one amenity", I'd remove the "amenity" for the staff of closing the cafe and dining cars early so that they don't have to clean up and count stock while the train is in the station. This strange procedure is unique to Amtrak and is widely perceived as a customer disservice. If it requires rehiring the missing staff at the station who used to do this stuff... then it requires that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that the temp control in the VL sleepers regulates the supplemental electric strip heating, not the overhead airflow temp. It has worked in any cars I've ridden. Agree about the SL ones, not sure what they are supposed to do since I've never had one that seemed to make a difference.

Back