Chi to Reno or Reno to Chi?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonys96

Conductor
Looking at booking trip to Reno, either from Chicago, or the reverse. Which is better for somrthing to see? This will burn the last of my points, and we are looking at going next summer. Any ideas?

Or should we go Chi to LA (or reverse). Final destination is not that important.

Thanks!

Which is better for somrthing to see?
It all depends upon what you would like to see and I have no idea about that. As a f'rinstance, I find the farmlands of the midwest and its small towns beside the tracks mesmerizing during the hours of darkness. But that's just me.

All I can suggest is make a copy of the route timetables, follow along the routes on Google Earth and get a sense of what parts of the routes are in daylight, etc. These may also prove useful: https://www.amtrak.com/route-guides

Last edited by a moderator:
I would probably go Westbound, you will get more of the mountains in Utah, and you will avoid more of the desert in Nevada. If you are on time you also have a decent hour to get out and see Salt Lake City.

Other than that, they are pretty similar. Either way is a great trip. I do enjoy coming down the front range when going Eastbound into Denver as the lights are coming on at twilight.

Eastbound CZ arrives SLC around 3:30 AM. Nothing to see at that hour IMO. I would recommend westbound on the CZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I don't think there is a bad choice. I took Zephyr this past August from Emeryville to Omaha and return. For me I liked the west bound just a little bit better. Climbing out of Denver the the train takes some sweeping curves and it was really enjoyable seeing the engine and train as it snaked it way up the slopes. I was in last car and could also easily go the rear of train to look out which gave some great views of the river along side the track coming down the western slope. I think one thing that influenced my liking the west bound was I learned from east bond trip where most of best views were so I was ready. I would also suggest you consider going all the way to Sacramento staying over and taking in the California State Railway Museum. Great Museum. Than take train back to Reno That way you will get see the Sierra Nevada Mountains as well. What ever you choose you will enjoy it. Th Old Man TOM in shortened form.

The longest days are in July, so that is the best time for sightseeing from the train.

This last July 1 the sun was up basically from 6 am to 9 pm and nautical twilight didn't end until 10:15 pm.

The best thing to do is to ride the California Zephyr in both directions.

Board in Reno, stay in Chicago a night or 2, and then ride the train back to Reno.

I agree that either way accords essentially the same sights with the difference being what part of the day you see them.

The Southwest Chief is scenic in a different way from the California Zephyr, and there is lots worth seeing.

My favorite time to travel is actually the winter, as the snow greatly enhances the scenery. However, there is certainly more daylight during the summer. On a cold weather route like the CZ, late winter/early spring would provide the best combination of snow and sunlight. As to direction, I have heard that westbound is preferable, especially in the fall and winter as it virtually guarantees the Front Range during daylight. I have yet to ride this route myself, but I will be riding it westbound during late December.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Back