Travel insurance

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glomor

Train Attendant
The last few times I purchased my tickets online I was offered the option to purchase travel insurance. It seemed like a good idea so for the small extra amount, $17.00 I believe, I opted to buy it. Fortunately I have not had to use it but I am wondering how good it is. Have any of you needed to use it? If so, how easy was it to collect?

The travel insurance is basically 100% profit, but is seldom worth the money to a passenger.

The same basically applies to extended warranties - not worth what they cost.

Some credit cards offer travel insurance as part of their policy. If you booked with a credit card, you may want to ask your issuer if insurance is offered.

I would check Amtrak's cancellation and refund policy before purchasing travel insurance on Amtrak. In many cases your money can either be refunded or applied to a future ticket if you cancel prior to the start of travel. Even when a cancellation fee applies, it may be on par with the cost of travel insurance in the first place. But unlike travel insurance, you only pay the cancellation fee IF you need to cancel.

I collected 100% on airline travel insurance. I got a badly broken ankle shortly before my coast to coast trip. And on Drs. orders, no travel. Fortunately for me, my return trip was on AGR points and was able to cancel that with another 100% refund.

After that, I always buy travel ins.

Last edited by a moderator:
i recently had to cancel an extended trip. I contacted Amtrak and they replied there would be a $100 cancellation fee unless i could provide documentation - i have to have a heart valve replaced - i sent them a copy of my discharge papers and they refunded the entire amount. Totally satisfied

The difference is on airlines, the fare may be non-refundable and most likely involves a change fee of like $75 or $100. On Amtrak, there is no change fee and the train fare is refundable or can be applied to a voucher.

Thus I don't see a reason to buy the offered travel insurance for Amtrak.

I agree with Sarah on checking your Credit Card benefits and with the others on Amtrak's Liberal Refund/Voycher System making Travel Insurance un-necessary!

Expensive overseas trips, and package deals with non refundable air, hotels etc are another matter!

I collected 100% on airline travel insurance. I got a badly broken ankle shortly before my coast to coast trip. And on Drs. orders, no travel. Fortunately for me, my return trip was on AGR points and was able to cancel that with another 100% refund.

After that, I always buy travel ins.
A commonly made thinking mistake - using the rare hit and ignoring the vast majority of misses.

Don't Believe Everything You Think: The 6 Basic Mistakes We Make in Thinking

The same error in thinking was used to justify formation of the TSA and the money gobbling federal Homeland Security Agency.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have bought travel insurance for the big trips I have made with my senior citizen parents...not so much for the cancellation benefits, but for the emergency medical coverage provided. An injury or illness on the road could ruin your entire day....

Travel insurance can be a crapshoot; it really depends on the individual circumstances as well as the particular trip one is taking. Basically, insurance is useful when the cost or inconvenience of assuming a risk is a burden for you. As mentioned, many credit cards have some travel insurance as part of the benefits, but be careful, as most issuers have whittled down their coverage—a good example of this is that a number of benefits are now secondary instead of primary. This means that it only kicks in after all other coverage has been paid. This can be reason enough to buy separate travel insurance, as long as that policy is primary coverage instead of secondary. A number of years ago I was underinsured on my automobile policy and so took out a travel insurance policy which included rental car coverage as primary coverage. Everything was fine and nothing happened, so was it a waste of money? Perhaps, but it wouldn’t have been if I had gotten into an accident and my insurance company balked at covering something.

The most common reason for purchasing travel insurance (particularly for international travel) is medical coverage; as stated, it only takes one otherwise minor accident to ruin a trip, or if one has health issues, or—like a friend of mine is—exceedingly accident prone when traveling. Even then it depends on your personal situation; you may have great health coverage at home, but your insurer may balk at paying claims that are out-of-network or are not pre-authorized (which might be difficult to do, if you fall and have a fracture late at night in a place far away from home). In that case, it can be helpful to have an insurer that will just pay for the ER visit no matter what, right off the top.

However, I am in total agreement with everyone who has recommended not purchasing the Amtrak-offered insurance. If travel insurance is needed, one can often purchase a better policy from the same insurer separately. I purchased a ticket today and noticed the “gloom and doom” pitch has gotten more extreme over the past few months. It’s rather ridiculous, since the $17 doesn’t buy much of anything. You can still get ticket refunds or credits in most cases and the coverage only covers the time period for your ticket, whereas separate travel insurance will usually cover from the time you begin a trip with a common carrier at your departure point until the time you end your trip with a common carrier at your departure point. This means all the time you are at your destination/s is also covered. Same with insurance for hotels and airline flights offered through travel services like Priceline and Hotwire; it doesn’t cover enough of anything to be useful except as a profit center for the company selling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back