Chicago 4 hour layover ~ where to eat?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can confirm that the Middle Eastern place referred to is the Oasis Cafe at 21 N. Wabash, a falafel joint tucked in the back of a jewelry shop on Jewelers Row (N. Wabash in the Loop). I can also state my opinion that it's a hole in the wall lunch joint for downtown workers, not worth the effort of travel from CUS on a layover.

Btw that stretch of Wabash Ave. is currently undergoing a city renovation and has some new restaurants, e.g Goddess & The Baker, and Peach and Green. These are casual and upscale and might suit the bill.

Hi willem, I was recommended to the Oasis by a guide when on a free walking architecture tour. The tour was organised by the H.I. Hostel and was very interesting.

I would not claim that the Oasis is anyway upscale, but as a tourist who wanted to experience something a little different, it was perfect. Good tasty food in an interesting place (to me), and very reasonably priced.

Chicago residents have good knowledge of eating places, and I have made note of some of these for own next trip.

Ed. :cool:

Chicago is just like NYC and many other big cities - some of the best eating comes from the most economical out of the way eateries. I am like Ed and try to pick up tips from locals so I can avoid eating at places I can find at home or at places priced higher than Kitty can raise her back end.

I second (third?) the recommendations to head toward Greektown. I love that neighborhood. I also recommend Little Italy, which bumps up to Greektown. You could even head down to Chinatown, but that might be stretching your layover.

Pierogi Heaven (really good Polish food). I'm not sure I'd chalk it up as a place with "character", though. I assume by "character" you mean something that feels like an old, local diner with lots of history, right?

The Berghoff isn't a diner, per se, but it's one of the oldest restaurants in Chicago and has incredible food. (http://www.berghoff.com/)

The Billy Goat Tavern on Lower Michigan, not the one on Navy Pier. (http://www.billygoattavern.com/)

White Palace Grill! :) (http://www.whitepalacegrill.com/)
There is a Billy Goat on Van Buren and Wells that has the Billy Goat vibe.

On layovers at CUS, we always take the walk down Jackson street to So. Halstead St (Greektown). Many good choices there. Lately we have not opted for the "soup to nuts" dinner at The Greek Islands. Excellent Greek cuisine but too much for a lunch, especially when you will be catching dinner on the next train. . Our recent favorite has been the food court at Mariano's on So. Halstead, a gourmet market. You can get sandwiches, Pizza, Sushi, Chinese food, and Fresh grilled fish or meats. Good chefs there a quality bakery and a full supermarket. We always leave there with soft drinks and a bag of ice for our small cooler. The walk to and from CUS is about 10 minutes

The tip for a full supermarket close to CUS is great. I often like to buy fresh fruit and other items to take on a long journey, and while the nearby drugstores are handy, their food options tend to be in the snacks range.

The tip for a full supermarket close to CUS is great. I often like to buy fresh fruit and other items to take on a long journey, and while the nearby drugstores are handy, their food options tend to be in the snacks range.

Although it's a little pricey,there is a Whole Foods that is located @ 1101 Canal South of Union Station in a Mini Mall. It's just a short walk and of course the offerings are healthy, tasty and fresh!( thanks to our Penny for the find!

Although it's a little pricey,there is a Whole Foods that is located @ 1101 Canal South of Union Station in a Mini Mall. It's just a short walk and of course the offerings are healthy, tasty and fresh!( thanks to our Penny for the find!)
There is a newer Whole Foods that is a bit closer (thanks to Steve for that find). It is located at 1 N. Halsted St.

Last edited by a moderator:

There is a Walmart Neighborhood Market just a couple blocks north of the station.

I really enjoyed Al's Beef. But BEWARE! Your 4 hour layover is probably more realistically closer to 1.5 - 2 hours. lol! If you have less than an hour, Gold Coast Dogs in the station is good, and Burrito Beach seems to have a single good review on Tripadvisor.

If I have time I walk due south on Clinton Street to Manny's, a true Chicago institution, deli, cafeteria, lunch and dinner spot. It's about 15 mins from Union Station, or you can take the bus on Clinton.

For those of you into something a bit more exotic...

When in real hurry I sometimes go to Baba's Village, an inexpensive buffet cafeteria style Indian food joint a short walk from Union Station located at 310 S. Canal St, It is inexpensive and you get what you pay for. If you know what you are looking for you can get a reasonable meal, but for those inexperienced with Indian food, not a good place tog et your first experience.

I prefer to go for significantly better Indian food experience but at a higher price, to Mughal India at 560 W Van Buren St,. Much better food, and I do like several of their menu items. They do have a lunch buffet which is much less expensive than the regular dinner fare.

Spoilt for choice, what a forum.

Thank you
Indeed.

And the good ideas keep rolling in :)

Me, it's been too long since I had a Chicago layover, I'm following this in hopes of being there again soonish.

But I've got no current advice :(

I do have good memories of greektown, Lou Mitchells, and the Berghoff, hope they are all as good as in the 90's, and thanks to all for good recent info

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I had a very good lunch at Sepia, 123 N. Jefferson, two blocks from North Western Station (4 blocks from Union Station). Moderately upscale American cuisine (lunch $25 including tip) in an old 1890s print shop full of vintage Chicago memorabilia. Highly recommended.

Yesterday I had a very good lunch at Sepia, 123 N. Jefferson, two blocks from North Western Station (4 blocks from Union Station). Moderately upscale American cuisine (lunch $25 including tip) in an old 1890s print shop full of vintage Chicago memorabilia. Highly recommended.
For those willing to wander that far north from Union Station, Randolph Street (150 N.) is essentially Restaurant Row with a ton of choices, mostly but not entirely west of Halsted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back