Guest Rewards Change Over

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slither

Train Attendant
Does anyone know the exact date of the change over for using our points in direct relation to the dollar cost of a trip. I see January 2016, but no day. Is it on the first or sometime later in the month?

Thanks, Bob. Planning a March trip, so I'll wait a few weeks to see points to dollars compare.

We're going to Chicago in early February on the Capital Limited. Bedroom for two is about $500, but that would be 40,000 points if we were to use the current AGR redemption for a two zone bedroom. After January 24th, with the new plan it would be about 17,000 points, based on a $500 fare. So the new plan is somewhat attractive, and generally better for our typical trips.

Sadly, I will miss those long, two zone loophole rail journeys across the continent. But at least we can still book a few more of those trips before 1/24/16. And the actual travel can take place as far out as mid-December 2016, on the old "zone awards" AGR program. You do need to book those before January 24th.

On our February trip to Chicago, we actually booked it with some AMEX Amtrak certificates which we earned in the Membership Rewards program.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the cancellation rule (penalty?) for "old zone redemptions" booked before January 24 for travel after?

Makes sense Steve since this is a "change" but its Amtrak so "..the answer is Blowin' in the wind.."???

Perhaps you should send a PM to Anthony on Flyer Talk for clarification?!

I have been told on two occasions that I cannot change a name on an existing reservation.

They cancel and reissue the reservation.

Yes, the reservation system is loaded up only 11 months out. That is how it always has been, and there is no indication that will change in the foreseeable future.

Yes, in mid January you should be able to book 11 months out to mid December. And the old plan had a lot of blackout days around Christmas anyway.

What is the cancellation rule (penalty?) for "old zone redemptions" booked before January 24 for travel after?
If you cancel before January 24, there is no penalty. If you cancel a zone-based redemption on January 24 or after, the new penalties apply.
Just made a reservation today and she told me of the cancellation fee of 10%. She did NOT mention that it did not apply prior to Jan 24th. The travel is in August/September. I'll get my money's worth. PDX->ABQ via Starlight & Chief. Then ABQ->GRV via Chief, Capitol & Crescent. 65K points. $3300 for 0.05/point. Won't ever see that again. Last time we'll be able to afford that trip.

I have a feeling there are a lot of us who have booked the longest possible trips using the soon to be defunct zone system. I have a nice two zone roomette award from El Paso to Fort Lauderdale coming up. If you are on the fence on whether to book now or after 1/24, if you are looking for the longest trip possible book now. Zone trips booked in the next two and a half weeks will be good through December.

Back