Has anyone seen 8400?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually saw it yesterday at WAS. A switcher was pushing it and some PVs around in the yard as I was headed home just before 6.
You must have some really good eyesight to see 8400 in Beech Grove (where it actually is by the way) all the way from WAS... ;-)
I'll be honest. I'm more likely to believe someone who has well over 10,000 posts then someone who is a first time poster and leaves off with a winking face..... But that's my opinion.

Well, then it would be your loss since the car is in Beech Grove. It has been there for quite some time...and it will be there for quite some time. I'm not sure if you'll believe me since I don't have 10,000 posts, but maybe this will help:

:wacko:

See? It is not a winking face. Does that help?

Post counts shouldn't mean anything. Concentrate on the message, especially at a time when people with information are reluctant to post it.
TR the only reason I say that is because the amount of trolls that strike on here has gone up, and they post one thing and run. I believe you cause you provide good inside info.

Why?

Likely because Amtrak is saving pennies keeping it there. With no diners needed for the Star's consists, there are enough heritage diners to go around. So why not run the heritage fleet into the ground and extend the life of 8400? Also, it will keep 8400's wear and tear close to on par with the new diners when they come on line, whenever that might be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if it might also get a paint job while it's there (not sure if they do painting at BG or not). Recently reported in another thread that 10001 and 10021 were just recently repainted into Phase III (confirmed by pictures on the NEC railfan facebook page).

The 8400 is in Beech Grove and has been since mid July. I understand it is stored there and awaiting another overhaul in the new FY.

That car has been overhauled more than any Amtrak car. Amtrak has had nothing but trouble with the car since it was delivered. I think Amtak will eventually retire the car, maybe even before the last of the heritage cars go.

The 3 prototypes are almost 30 years old now. They had a lot of new technology on them and a lot of it did not work out. The trucks were different have given trouble. I have heard that 1 or more of them have had the trucks replaced.

From reading this, I had to go search, Beech Grove Yard and map and things and it was interesting. Here's a 1959 topo (portion) that includes Beech Grove as it was back then.

beech_grove_1959.jpg

See where it says Rail Shop, between Emerson and Raymond, to the East? OK it's Rail Creek and Shop Creek. :giggle:

The 8400 is in Beech Grove and has been since mid July. I understand it is stored there and awaiting another overhaul in the new FY.

That car has been overhauled more than any Amtrak car. Amtrak has had nothing but trouble with the car since it was delivered. I think Amtak will eventually retire the car, maybe even before the last of the heritage cars go.

The 3 prototypes are almost 30 years old now. They had a lot of new technology on them and a lot of it did not work out. The trucks were different have given trouble. I have heard that 1 or more of them have had the trucks replaced.
It will be interesting to see what happens with it. I suspect its future depends on the delivery of the new viewliners and any forthcoming changes to dining car services.

From reading this, I had to go search, Beech Grove Yard and map and things and it was interesting. Here's a 1959 topo (portion) that includes Beech Grove as it was back then.
If you want to see the progression of topos of the area (or anywhere else), this site will show the USGS maps available over the years.

If it's not bad form to post an update on this thread, there's a report here from a person that toured the Beech Grove shops on December 20. A part of 8400 is visible in photo #8 (you have to subscribe to see the full size photo though). The caption says 8400 is now being worked on.

(Moderator note: link goes to trainorders.com, which may require a subscription.)

All I see is an ad asking for $29 for the other site. Sorry, I consider that "bad form" .

All I see is an ad asking for $29 for the other site. Sorry, I consider that "bad form" .
I can see the trainorders posts from his link.
Yup, it is in a trainorders post which would not be visible to anyone who is not a member of trainorders. It is OK IMHO to post such links provided a heads up is given. I would not want to deny the availability of information to those who do have access, provided the rest are forewarned. Usually just a note saying what site the link is to should suffice, since presumably people know what sites they are or are not members of.

I can see the trainorders posts from his link.
Yup, it is in a trainorders post which would not be visible to anyone who is not a member of trainorders. It is OK IMHO to post such links provided a heads up is given. I would not want to deny the availability of information to those who do have access, provided the rest are forewarned. Usually just a note saying what site the link is to should suffice, since presumably people know what sites they are or are not members of.
I'm not a member of trainorders, but can usually see some of the posts. Like Agent said, you can't see the picture full size without being a member.

In general you will be able to see page 1 of a thread for some period of time. You will never be able to see any other pages of a thread. Their pay wall is leaky though, so sometimes you will be able to get through. In general I would advise people to identify the target site when it is trainorders since there is no guarantee that non-members will be able to see much there.

BTW the caption for the phot says "#8. Here several cars are being rebuilt, including 8400, a converted viewliner sleeper, now sleeper/diner. More cars can be seen getting worked on.", which is incorrect. 8400 in its entire existence has been a Diner and has never been a Sleeper.

Trainorders.com is doing there holiday season push for membership. If you get the ad, on the bottom there is a "Click here to continue to discussion" line. No big deal if your not a member. You are limited to reading the first page and nail prints of photos, without membership.

Press 1 to find the 8400.

Press 2 to find the 9800.

Press 3 to hang up.

I think you said you want to hang up.

Goodbye!

Back