FTW-NOL questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chey

Lead Service Attendant
Since this goes to SAS where I switch from 21 Eagle (arriving 21:55) to 2 SL (departing 06:25) , I will have to get off the train and either wait in the depot all night or get a hotel. Are there any reasonable and safe hotels near the depot?

That's pretty brutal. If you want to make it a bit more expensive and take 49 hours, you can go through Chicago. At least you'll spend your wait time in the Windy City with lots to do.

But, alas, it IS more time and money than the 30 hours that Amtrak allows you to book in a single itinerary through San Antonio.

To answer your question, there is everything from a Knight's Inn (low quality, $45/nite) to City View about two blocks away from $79/nite to the Staybridge which is walking distance from the station from $140/nite. All receive a rating of 4 - 4.5 on Tripadvisor. I highly recommend NOT hanging out in the station overnight. Note: prices will vary - just a random date selected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks - In fact I am considering Chicago instead. Yes, longer and more expensive but much easier to deal with!

There is a best western and holiday inn express both across commerce street from the station. Both around $100. That is a lot for 8 hours sleep (IF the Eagle arrives on time). The River walk is just a few blocks from the station and is lively till about 3:00 AM, and there is also a Denny's just a few blocks from the station if you want to stay awake during this time.

Riverwalk is a GREAT idea, a really fun idea, one that I'd definitely go for if I weren't traveling alone. Alone, I just don't like any of the options.

Too bad I'm not going west! One of the other mentioned booking the 421, doing that I wouldn't have to worry about it! Alas I'm going east.

Frankly, I would fly. Unfortunately the East connection from the TE to the SL is horrendous, I go to Houston regularly, and would take the train if possible, but not sitting around a station or burning 8 hours in a hotel for the privilege. So, unfortunately I have to get on an airplane (this afternoon in fact) but on the plus side, I can leave my house at 12, and be to my hotel by 3! I( do use the West connection from time to time, it burns some time, but at least its a single car trip.

And the plane is probably cheaper. I ride Amtrak for LD trips when I can, but I draw the line at having to pay substantially more for the privilege of sitting around for hours in the middle of the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Why we didn't feel unsafe walking to our hotel from the SAS station, there was a man murdered there not too long ago waiting for a train. There are bums around the area, but once you hit the river walk it is smooth sailing.

This transfer had a lot better timing before they re-did the schedule for the SL. We travel to NOL at least once a year and while living in OKC would drive and pick friends up in FTW on the way. It was the only Amtrak trip I couldn't justify, 36hr with an 8hr+ layover vs 12hr driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back