Snow NEC 1/2/14

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to blame you for the cold temperatures!

Just for the snow! (MN is the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" and all that water has to go somewhere, right? :giggle: )
I don't know about Rhode Island, but, generally the snow we get in DE, from Nor'easters, gets it's moisture from the gulf.
Aha! So the snowstorm can be blamed on Penny and her Gulf of Mexico moisture... :p

I'd be ticked too if it were 39 in Orlando. :p It has to feel downright awful to people who aren't used to it. No teasing here. I feel bad for you. Orlando is supposed to be warm and awesome.
Well, it still is awesome, so you're still getting half here.. ;-)

Blargh. I don't remember moving back to the upper peninsula. I blame Minnesota. ;)

Sarah, I think the weather forecasters are blaming Minnesota also. :lol:

Maybe it's just certain Minnesotans with first names beginning with J. :D
Hey now! What did I do? :ph34r: :giggle:

Here they're blaming a Canadian air mass moving out of the Hudson Bay into Minnesota, bringing their cold temperatures with it.

See, not our fault! ^_^
South-Park-blame-canada-638x300.jpg

Annnd...I just got back to Seattle, where CS 14 arrived half an hour early, and it's 42 degrees. I guess the universe is offering payback for the 8 hour late arrival in SAC the other night. Thanks to the fickle finger of fate :)

The NEC seems to be in a pretty general meltdown. 97's 5:26 late out of WAS, 95 was horridly late into VA, 49 was 6:02 late out of NYP. A few trains (such as 67) seem to have gotten lucky, but if I had to guess it looks like NYS had a lot of folks call in because of the storm, and that sent schedules to hell. 'course, if there's snow and ice in the yards, that can't help things either.

The NEC seems to be in a pretty general meltdown. 97's 5:26 late out of WAS, 95 was horridly late into VA, 49 was 6:02 late out of NYP. A few trains (such as 67) seem to have gotten lucky, but if I had to guess it looks like NYS had a lot of folks call in because of the storm, and that sent schedules to hell. 'course, if there's snow and ice in the yards, that can't help things either.
There is some improvement in the east this morning, although the #48 that was supposed to arrive NYP last night departed ALB at 6:25 AM this morning, 14 hours and 40 minutes late.

I think the situation in the east will be pretty bad by Tuesday. The forecasts for the cities of the NEC overall have some freezing rain to snow on Sunday, rain with temps up into the 40s and upper 40s on Monday. Then a major temperature drop as the arctic air mass moves in by Tuesday. The huge temperature shift on top of rain is going to cause problems for the catenary, switches, moveable bridges. For roads, it is going to be pothole season as the northeast thaws out after the deep freeze.

Today's SB Vermonter (57) is already 2 hours late after it's first few stops in Vermont. Last night's NB Vermonter (56) was 4 hrs late going through VT, a rarity even with frequent snow and cold. It was around -20 in many locations last night however,

Keystones in the morning today had massive delays and 664 was pulled by a diesel - any idea what was that all about? Catenary problems? I saw a morning Keystone out of NYP start out with a 1,5h delay!

We're expecting freezing rain tomorrow between 6 and 11 am. Then it will warm up to the 40's before crashing on Monday down to the teens or single digits.

Does anyone know what the delay was on thursday in the Boston-NYC Northeast Regional? I want to have a "worst case scenario" (or very bad case actually) idea of how long the delays due to snowstoms were. I have to take a plane from JFK airport in a few days and I'd like to know how much time to allot to possible snow storm contingencies.

Thanks!

Thursday was the beginning of the storm on the southern end. Any delay there cause problems further north. And I would allow as much time as possible between train and plane. Delays can and do happen, even on "normal" days. I would not schedule a flight at 5 if your train is scheduled to arrive at 3!

FWIW, I rode 150 from NWK-BOS on Saturday Jan. 4 and we had to change to a diesel locomotive in NHV. Our train pulled in to South Station 1:31 late.
That's the kind of data I was looking for.

I was shooting for 5 hours before the plane leaves, ie a 2,5 hours buffer for weather contingencies. Sounds about right.

What happened today on the NEC?! Everything was totally cancelled between BOS - PVD. My H had to take MBTA home from Boston.

Plus the 66 was running HOURS late (like 3 hours-ish) so he had to take MBTA in this morning, too.

There were catenary problems down this way. Last night in the Wilm-Newark DE area & this morning around Trenton. I imagine there could have been a ripple effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back