Grabbing food at Union Station food court (DC) on the Crescent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ron Wijkowski

Is there enought time to purchase food at the food court during the diesel/electric locomotive change in DC?

My opinion is no, there is not enough time.

All it would take is one customer ahead of you in line with a complicated order, and then you're stuck in DC...with your luggage on the way to NOL.

Nope. Only place I would consider trying is the McDonalds. It's right at the top of the escalators coming up from the lower level tracks. But if I got up there and there was a line, I'd bail and go right back down.

In my experience there's no real risk. You know the departure time and the certainty that the train will not leave before that. Just look at your watch repeatedly and you know how much time remains. And, by the way, you go back to the train through the same exit you came out of - not the boarding gate. If the train is early you have more time. Just be flexible - if there is a line at one concession, quickly choose another. Admittedly I have never done this from the Crescent but I have done it easily quite a few times from Regionals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you go northbound or southbound? Note that northbound it leaves when it is ready as it has no posted departure time.That is becajue it stops to discharge only from ALexandria on.

In my experience there's no real risk. You know the departure time and the certainty that the train will not leave before that.
Depends on whether the OP is taking the Crescent northbound or southbound. Northbound the LD train is not taking boarding passengers and will depart when it is ready.
Southbound if the Crescent gets in on time or early, it is feasible to make a quick run into the station and hit one of the places along the waiting area. The food court is probably too far to risk it. But I would set an absolute deadline of being back at the gate no later than 5 to 6 minutes to the departure time. The access from and to the lower level tracks is slow and adds to the risk of making a quick run into the station.

In my experience there's no real risk.
One risk is that you might end up paying for your food but having to skedaddle back to the train

before you actually get your food. Obviously that's lower on the scale of inconvenience than

missing the train itself, though.

I wouldn't risk it-I was amazed how fast they can swap out power. I'd hate to come running down the stairs with pizza in one hand, drink in the other and my train's markers growing dimmer as they recede into the distance.

Yeah, running down the stairs, onto the platform, and seeing your train pull out is NOT a good feeling. Especially when there is not "another train" in the next 30-60 minutes....

I think going south if you have 20 - 30 mins to scheduled departure it is quite safe. OTOH going north on an LD train I would not risk it. They can pretty much pack up and leave whenever they want. Regionals OTOH have a set departure time, and if there is enough time before that then it should be OK. OTOH if it is running late, then all bets are off and it may be bad idea to risk it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do this, remember to note your track number when you leave the train -- for northbound long-distance trains like the Crescent, it will not be posted on the board as DC doesn't accept boarding passengers. You'll have to go through the large double doors by the women's restroom and walk back to the track to reboard. For a southbound train, a gate and track will be posted on the departures board so it's less of an issue.

I wouldn't risk it-I was amazed how fast they can swap out power. I'd hate to come running down the stairs with pizza in one hand, drink in the other and my train's markers growing dimmer as they recede into the distance.
If it's the southbound Crescent, those markers have gone into the First Street Tunnel.

Maybe you could then run upstairs, grab a taxi, and hightail it to the Alexandria, VA station before the train departs there. Not likely to succeed, but would be interesting to hear someone time it.

The other alternative would be Red Line Metro train to Gallery Place station, then Yellow Line Metro to King Street station, thenrun like H*** to the Amtrak Alexandria station next door. Still unlikely to be successful, though.

If it's the southbound Crescent, those markers have gone into the First Street Tunnel.

Maybe you could then run upstairs, grab a taxi, and hightail it to the Alexandria, VA station before the train departs there. Not likely to succeed, but would be interesting to hear someone time it.

The other alternative would be Red Line Metro train to Gallery Place station, then Yellow Line Metro to King Street station, thenrun like H*** to the Amtrak Alexandria station next door. Still unlikely to be successful, though.
This sounds like the great missed train scene in the original Out of Towners movie.

George Kellerman: Uh, are there any seats on this train? huh?

[the conductor shakes his head "no"]

George Kellerman: Oh, well don't you have anything in the parlor car or compartment or anything? I'll pay for it.

Train Conductor: This train runs empty six nights a week exept when the New York airport is fogged in, then they fly 'em up to Boston and we could use four more cars.

George Kellerman: Well why don't you put on four more cars?

Train Conductor: Ain't got four more cars. Noboby takes the train anymore. Everyone is in a hurry.

George Kellerman: You expect us to stand all the way to New York?

Train Conductor: Not if you give me $11.00 each.

[George pays the fares]

Gwen Kellerman: Is there a dining car?

Train Conductor: Just sandwiches and drinks. The next car forward.
George Kellerman: You know how long we were in line?

Gwen Kellerman: Two hours.

George Kellerman: Two hours. That's how long.

Waiter in Dining Car on Train: [hands a plate of food and coffee to a customer] Chicken sandwich and coffee.

George Kellerman: Can we see a menu, please?

Waiter in Dining Car on Train: We just got sandwiches and drinks.

George Kellerman: Oh. Eh, two Chicken sandwiches, please.

Waiter in Dining Car on Train: Sorry, no chicken.

George Kellerman: Isn't that chicken?

Waiter in Dining Car on Train: Yeah, that's chicken. But when he eats that, that's the end of the chicken.

Gwen Kellerman: They're out of chicken, George.

George Kellerman: Got ham or cheese?

Waiter in Dining Car on Train: No ham.

George Kellerman: Just cheese.

Waiter in Dining Car on Train: No cheese.

George Kellerman: [under his breath] No cheese.

Gwen Kellerman: What DO you have?

Waiter in Dining Car on Train: Peanut Butter on white bread.

George Kellerman: What else you got?

Waiter in Dining Car on Train: More peanut butter on white bread. Ran out of everything a few minutes ago, ma'am.

Gwen Kellerman: But don't you have anything else? My husband isn't allowed to eat peanut butter or white bread.

Waiter in Dining Car on Train: I got saltine crackers and green olives. That's all, ma'am. We didn't expect 350 people tonight. No, ma'am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back