Card vs LSL for fall foliage?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakBlue

Engineer
Gathering Team Member
I know it's too early to predict the best places to see the fall foliage at a given time (in my case Oct 16), but was wondering if the Cardinal is a better choice over the LSL for viewing the fall colors.

Also, when might it be known when the dome will be on the Cardinal?

My opinion is the LSL will have better foliage. Although only the Hudson River portion (NYP-ALB) will be in daylight, growing up in upstate NYS I know that this portion will have near peak to peak colors about that time! (Southern RI is about the same latitude and is peak usually around mid October.) I realize that the Cardinal goes thru a somewhat higher altitude, but I expect that region to peak later. Also, I don't know for certain, but I don't think that area has sugar maples - which is what gives the great variety of color. :)

As far as the Dome, I can only say this. Following the STL Gathering, I (and others) took the old KWD-CBS loophole trip, then I went down to WAS and up to NYP and a ride on the Adirondack and on Ocean View. It went on the Cardinal AFTER that. :excl:

I did look at last years maps a while ago and it appeared that the New River Gorge peak was a week later. Hmm, will need to think about changing my plans for going to the gathering. Just worried there might be a bunch of crazy people on the LSL that day. :giggle: Of course, if there are, I'd fit right in. :p

Just do what I did last week and ride both Cardinal and the Lake Shore Limited. The LSL is better going from Chicago to New York as most of upstate New York is in Daylight.

I rode the Cardinal in the Dome Car in late October a couple of years ago.

The scenery was spectacular. I also take the LSL often and the scenery

along both the Hudson and Mohawk Rivers is outstanding.

It might depend on which way you are going - eastbound, the Cardinal would offer very nice views of the New River Gorge, but I think that the westbound schedule has the train going through that area in the evening.

I have taken the eastbound Cardinal about a week later than your planned date and the foliage did not disappoint.

I'm going westbound and coming back on the CL. I have an offer to ride the LSL westbound and just wanted to find out which is better scenery wise for that time of the year. Maybe I'll save the Cardinal for another time (& hopefully there will be another opportunity). I don't need to make my decision now as I already have the Card booked & the offered ride on the LSL is also already booked.

First get that job, Betty! I wish you the best! (And remember if it's the President of Amtrak, I've got first dibs on other high positions! Like VP in charge of TPS. Wait - I already am! :giggle: )

Last edited by a moderator:
First get that job, Betty! I wish you the best! (And remember if it's the President of Amtrak, I've got first dibs on other high positions! Like VP in charge of TPS. Wait - I already am! :giggle: )
Funny you should say that. I just applied for a job at Amtrak. Won't talk about it yet...don't want to jinx my chances of at least getting an interview. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back